PDA

View Full Version : Monofin foot sizing, wave or rapid?

dawnfire90
08-11-2012, 08:14 PM
My feet are women's size 8-8.5 and mens size 6.5, my left foot is bigger than my right foot by a little bit. When I go swimming I can fit into the yellow fins, but after a bit my left foot hurts cuz its a touch too tight, so I wear the next size up, the green fins, these are not as tight and fit my left foot perfectly with no pain but it can fall off my right foot, I noticed my right foot was also cramping up and hurting more with the looser one, so sometimes I wear the yellow smaller size one on my right foot and the green next size up on my left and look pretty silly in the pool. The rapid is 9-13 in women's sizing and the wave is women's 2-8, it seems like im right in between sizing so im not sure which one to get. I think the fins at the pool are these ones (http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/23059.htm) since they have all those colors in all the bins but the sizing on them is different from what the website says, i think the yellow one said 7-9 and the green one is 9-11 at the pool but i don't know if that's mens or women's, ahh im so confused. I don't have a lot of spare money right now so I can't afford to shell out the money for a monofin to potentially get one that's too small/too big for one or both of my feet. But ive been thinking about getting one for months and I really want one, its just this size issue. Does anyone else have feet that are in between the sizes listed? Which one should I get?

Mermaid Cascada
08-11-2012, 08:35 PM
My feet are about an eight and I have a finis wave :D It fits perfectly.

spottedcatfish
08-12-2012, 02:09 AM
I would go with neither the rapid or the wave, and start with a finis Foil. The rapid and wave are both made for narrow feet. As for sizing, if you get them on swimoutlet.com, they have the accurate sizes there. These fins are made for wider feet, and are the most flexible monofin to start off in. I have the same issue with my right foot being a touch wider and bigger, than my left foot. So I would go with the small for the finis Foil. Welcome to the forum by the way.

dawnfire90
08-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Do the foils produce just as much propulsion as the waves/rapids?

spottedcatfish
08-12-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm not sure as I have not tried a wave or rapid. But I'm sure it does, if not more, because the material is more flexible.The foil is made from marine grade rubber, versus a type of flexible plastic for the Wave and Rapid Monofins.

Little_Orca
08-12-2012, 10:52 PM
I have a rapid and I love it. My feet are a size 10 though (and were wide when I started mermaiding, but have since thinned out. yay!). The rapid gives great propulsion and is flexible. It looks quite well in the water and flows nicely to give a great look to flukes. The straps on the monofin will help keep it in place and makes it an adjustable comfortable fit. Also, if you happen to order a Rapid and find that it might be a little too big, you can invest in some booties. They are made of neoprene and meant for divers. I got myself a pair since I was worried the monofin would not fit right without them. Thankfully for me it fit fine, but the booties might be something to consider. :)

Here is a video of my tail. I use a Rapid in it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CFwqUDWc78&list=PL0EE5628C4685D997&index=12&feature=plpp_video

MerAnthony
08-21-2012, 08:59 AM
I have a Finis Rapid an for me it fits great. I have a mens 10 1/2 foot and I have to ajust the foot on the monofin almost to the end of the straps to make it fit tight enough cause my toes stick out the front a little but other than that I do not have a problem with it. But if you order one I would think to ask the company first, to be sure you get the correct size so you don't end up hurting yourself with blisters or what ever. I think they should help you to find the correct size.

Mermaid Harmony
09-15-2012, 01:46 AM
I have a size 9 feet (ranging shoes 8-10) and the finis rapid is perfect, sometimes I slide a little inside because it's not as super tight as I'd like, so I just wear water socks with it, and that way I don't have any shifting. Love love love my rapid, and it curves in the water just right, but is hard enough to give you a bunch of power, more so I think than the foil would. The adjustable strap is fairly easy to use although sometimes hard to get the quick release back on or clicked off. Overall though, a fantastic monofin.