PDA

View Full Version : To use resin or not to use resin...

Raivynn
08-12-2012, 11:57 AM
I am starting my first mermaid belt! I bought some netting and shells at Hobby Lobby, and I remembered someone saying they coated their shells in resin to help strengthen them. I am planning on spray painting my shells silver to match my tail, and I was wondering if the resin was really necessary. What have others experienced with using resin over the tops of their shells? I may end up having my Dad help me make this -- he knows how to tie a really cool fisherman's knot (that I somehow can't seem to learn how to do) that would look awesome. I will post some pictures of my plain belt when I get somewhere with it!

Mermaid Crystal
08-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Good luck on your belt! I never heard people using resin but i would just paint the shells.

Winged Mermaid
08-12-2012, 06:01 PM
If it were me I'd use resin. I've had shells on accessories break on me before, and I hear of people having to replace shells on their belts becuase you usually end up sitting on them one way or another. Couldn't hurt to have some extra protection. But then again the stuff is pretty intense (read the warnings, stuff isn't meant to be messed around with) so I would understand if you wanted to get by without it.

Raivynn
08-12-2012, 08:53 PM
I ended up not using the resin, but I am not sure if I am going to return it just yet or not. I saw some really cute dried seahorses that I thought I might try and buy a mold for and cast to make a pendant out of.

I had fun painting my shells :D