PDA

View Full Version : Neoprene and Latex "Elasticity" (for lack of a better word)

Lyna
08-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Hey guys, wasn't quite sure where to put this, because it doesn't deal with one tailmaker in particular...so I figured a gernal forum might be best and get spotted fror answers sake.
OK so...I have 2 tails (atm and a few designs in the works) and one tail fits perfectly. One tail on the other hand is noticeably too big. The one that fits has been used in dry shoots and for swimming, and the larger of the two has only been used for a dry event. Now...the amount of sweating I dfid for said event....was apparently enough to stretch the living H%^& out of the thigh/but/waist area. By the end of the 7.5 hours I was in it....I was having to get very creative with my poses and where i laid my hands so that it wasn't apparent to the entire street that the top 4 inches was just hanging all over the place (even with the belt on).
So....obviously....wetness has a way to stretch it. Weight...water...check. Got that. Makes sense. But is there a way to shrink it back down? I mean, when you wear clothes...they stretch throughout the day of being worn...but wash and dry and they revert right back to normal. Obviously, you can't toss your $600 tail in a dryer. Or...you shouldn't if you were smart.
Will a latex tail stretch and stretch until it has to be mended and taken in? Or will getting it soaking wet and then dry make it revert back to normal? Tips? Ideas?
Also as mentioned...it was slightly too big from the start. If it needs to be altered...who would you guys suggest to fix it? I'd prefer not to send it back to the maker honestly.

Mermaid Annariea
08-12-2012, 11:34 PM
i dont know how to answer much of that, but i know that AniaR sent her old tail to Raven, who fixed it for her.
Also, you might be able to take it to a seamstress and see if they can take it in.

Winged Mermaid
08-13-2012, 12:37 AM
All Mertailor "realistic" tails are made of neopin (says so on his website even). Neoprin is neoprene LIKE, but it's hardly like it at all IMO and is a very low quality substitute. If you get low quality neoprin that's just.. well, I can't think of anyone who says that they like the stuff. I believe that is your problem. Usually people have to deal with the stretching/sagging of the material and the loss of what little elasticity it has in it by installing a zipper (to account for fitting issues becuase there isn't enough stretch for the hips-waist issue), putting in an elastic belt, or just taking it in when it needs it. It does get worse in the water for sure. If it's too big, I'd advise taking it to a seamstress. I would not advise you to send it back to be taken in. It will money (for shipping plus he states there is a fee for alteration of size) and a lot of time. Also the seamstress can make SURE it fits you, because you are present, not in another state. They can also install a zipper if you would like to go that route. People have even had seamstresses sew together whole neoprene tails because they couldn't sew or didn't have a sewing machine! Just make sure to tell them what the material is. Just DON'T put it in hot water or out in the sun- this will only damage the material further.

Although I can't ever say I've heard of a tail stretching from a dry event. You can always try submerging it in the tub then drying it and see if that helps. If it doesn't.. well I guess it's just extremely low quality materials.

(Also FYI, if in doubt please post in "Everything Else". "Just Talk" is a non mermaid related forum sub category- it says so in the description and in the "please read" sticky in that section. Current events is also non mermaid related only as well. Thanks!)

Lyna
08-13-2012, 10:07 AM
k, i got the 2 confused. can you move the thread perhaps?

and yea. a dry event. crazy, right?!?! the waist gained about4 inches and 3 in the hips. 2 down the legs would be my best guess. i think i did really well hiding it...and it was dark by that time and most people had stopped trying to take pictures. *whoo!*