PDA

View Full Version : question about silicone tail and monofin

meremily
08-13-2012, 05:58 PM
hi guys

i have a question: i made my mold for my silicone tail. i owned a tempo monofin but i hate the straps plus i dont want to seal it forever in the tail

so i though of the foil monofin . as anyone have a recommendation for me? is it good? i dont have enough money for the competitor so...

i want a monofin with no ajustable straps.

my others question is if a put a finis monofin in it, will the side of the fluke where theres no monofin (see pics) flow in the water?

thanks!!!52705271

Firemaid
08-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Cool!
What is your mold made of?
Floppiness of the sides of the fin will depend on how hard your silicon is.
I plan on using a foil in mine. I went back and forth forever about it, but I think it's the right choice for me.
Maybe for you too!

meremily
08-13-2012, 08:45 PM
thanks! the mold i made is with a smooth on product but i dont remeber the exact name.

ShyMer
08-13-2012, 08:49 PM
The foil seems to look nice in a tail. Check out the videos of Raven swimming in her newer tails and Jesse's splash tail to get an idea of how it looks and the propulsion it gets. I think some of the Mertailor's tails have the foil in them now too.

Another thing- how'd you flip your mold without it cracking? I'm afraid to flip mine :/

meremily
08-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Raven new tail has the oceanika merfin no? ill go see jesse'splash tail. i dont understand what you mean by ''flip my mold''?
can you precise your idea? i will help you

ShyMer
08-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Yes. the newest tail has the oceanika fin in it. Specifically I was referencing the whiteish tail and the rainbow one I think. Ya know the one promo video where there's three tails in it? That one's interesting to me because she has the less expensive neoprene backed tail (meshpa) which has a wave in it, I think, while the one Raven is wearing has a foil. It's nice to compare speed and maneuverability.

Oh, and flipping- I molded my clay on a piece of plywood but did it funny and how I'm stuck on how to get the mold off. It's thin enough that I'm concerned it might snap with its weight if I try prying it up. It's tricky.

meremily
08-13-2012, 09:07 PM
do you have the link of the video i'd like to see it :)

has for the mold, dont take the clay off your board . construct a wall with your clay 5 inches all around what you construct and spray a release agent all over the clay
then put your materiel for your mold , put 3 layers at least then when it super hard, take a metal flat spatula and drag in underneath your mold and it will lift off! voila!

meremily
08-18-2012, 04:08 PM
heres another question : i bought lexan to make a bigger monofin, and swim fins , what do i use to bolt the swim fin to the lexan? and do i glue them too?

Ayla of Duluth
08-18-2012, 04:31 PM
raven's tails don't have foils do they? i thought they were rapids.

ShyMer
08-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Here's the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekmKSZ4s_nU&list=UUx-a4vLe0bcZP83ZFX0ezmA&index=1&feature=plcp) I think. If you go and look at some of her newer tails on her facebook and her vids, they have the outline of the foil. She mentioned before that the foil is cheaper, but she has to modify it or something, and it's kinda a pain to do.

Edit- By some I mean specifically the whiteish one with the small side fins she uses in the video. I can't actually remember beyond that if any of the other ones have the foil.