PDA

View Full Version : Check out this cool new monofin!

Firemaid
08-13-2012, 09:23 PM
So this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FINIS-MONOFIN-SWIMMING-FIN-S-M-/110931717617#ht_500wt_1156) is pretty rad. And cheap too!! It might be perfect inside a silicon tail no?
too bad I just ordered my friggin foil!

Firemaid
08-13-2012, 10:54 PM
Does anyone know another place where I can find this fin? I asked Google, but she didn't help.....

meremily
08-13-2012, 11:29 PM
So this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FINIS-MONOFIN-SWIMMING-FIN-S-M-/110931717617#ht_500wt_1156) is pretty rad. And cheap too!! It might be perfect inside a silicon tail no?
too bad I just ordered my friggin foil!

wont it , again, make the tail flops in the water instead of the flowing of a monofin? and if the silicone is heavier, you loose the ability of moving it when on land for a gig?

Firemaid
08-14-2012, 12:40 AM
I think the less rigid in the water the better it looks. On land it's not as cute, but i'm a mermaid, what do I need to be on land for? ;)

spottedcatfish
08-14-2012, 01:50 AM
The foil monofin is a good purchase. This fin is not offered on Finis's website. I'm wondering if this was an older type of fin that has been discontinued? Oh! I know what it could have been, a rubber version of the shooter monofin, before they changed the design. Though this fin does look "cute", the seller does not state how old these fins are, or what shape they are in. Sure they could have never been used. But rubber does wear down even if there is no use, especially if they have not been cared for properly. So buyer beware.

MerAnthony
08-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Looks to small for my taste.

Theobromine
08-14-2012, 11:44 PM
I don't think it would give you the stiffness and power you need to be able to swim properly. Also (and not trying to insult your personal taste or anything) but I just don't really get it when people prefer the really floppy flowy look for flukes. It doesn't make sense, biologically. Fishes and other marine creatures have fairly stiff fins for a reason: to propel them efficiently. I think stiffer fins are not only more useful, but also look better because they are more realistic. And yes, mermaids are fantastical creatures, but I think they still have to have a degree of realism otherwise they just don't ring true. That's why I prefer fantasy creatures, be they mermaids or dragons or what have you, to have some basis in actual biology. It's still fantasy, but it makes them feel more believable. And isn't that what we want? Anyway, that's just the way I see it, feel free to disagree.

meremily
08-18-2012, 04:03 PM
no i dont disagree, it not for the look, it because since my fluke is big, i want it to propel nicely. its only for that

Dacora
09-06-2012, 10:43 PM
I don't think it would give you the stiffness and power you need to be able to swim properly. Also (and not trying to insult your personal taste or anything) but I just don't really get it when people prefer the really floppy flowy look for flukes. It doesn't make sense, biologically. Fishes and other marine creatures have fairly stiff fins for a reason: to propel them efficiently. I think stiffer fins are not only more useful, but also look better because they are more realistic. And yes, mermaids are fantastical creatures, but I think they still have to have a degree of realism otherwise they just don't ring true. That's why I prefer fantasy creatures, be they mermaids or dragons or what have you, to have some basis in actual biology. It's still fantasy, but it makes them feel more believable. And isn't that what we want? Anyway, that's just the way I see it, feel free to disagree.

Goldfish have nice flowly tails. They look fabulous, even butterfly koi have amazing tails. To be honest its just a matter of what the mermaid likes most.
If you want it to have a more biological feel to it, since mermaids would differ from place to place a mermaid with flowly tails would live in calmer water. Which I know a lot of people base their mersona's in environments like that(myself included).