PDA

View Full Version : Florida Mermaid Meet-Up! (And those who want to come)

Blondie
08-14-2012, 12:56 AM
Hello everyone!!

I've been talking with onelilmermaid (Mermaid Gosalyn) and we've been thinking about getting together for a swim.

But since the summer is still in gear here in Florida till mid-October, we were thinking about having a gathering at a spring (or beach?). We're aiming for sometime during September. I was hoping it could be on a Friday or a weekend. I was looking at some springs we can go to and Silver Glen seems really nice! I was there once and I liked it! Or Blue Springs is pretty too.

Would anyone be interested in this? Input is loved! Suggest what you want and I'll coordinated it together!

Mermaid Rillia
08-14-2012, 01:15 AM
That sound very nice. Put together some dates when you get more people and keep me informed :)

WavyMermaidy
08-14-2012, 07:14 AM
Ditto...I might be going out of state for the latter part of September but if I'm here that sounds like fun :)

Drowning
08-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Sounds like fun!

Angel the Little Merman
08-14-2012, 09:59 AM
This does sound like fun, maybe I could be apart of this if it's in September.

Drowning
08-14-2012, 10:01 AM
This merman is always ready to blow bubbles :eek:oOo0oo ...especially with fellow mers!

Blondie
08-15-2012, 11:54 PM
Sounds awesome guys! Wavy, we'll try to aim for the beginning/middle of the month for you. What day do you leave?

WavyMermaidy
08-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks for thinking of me iblondie!!! I don't have a specific departure date yet but I'm thinking not til about the 24th or so

WavyMermaidy
08-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Oh and btw since you mentioned Silver Glen Springs as a possibility (just in case you need some more ideas or suggestions for whatever reason) Alexander Springs (also in Ocala Nat'l Forest) is really nice too. I've been there and Blue Springs, which you mentioned...haven't been to Silver Glen but you said that was nice...but I do think that, either way, a springs would be the better option (as opposed to a beach) even though there is usually a small charge to get in. The water will of course be better for any photos, and it would be a safer swim for anyone still getting used to tails or what not if there are any newbies. Just a suggestion, anyhow :)

NerineArcticMermaid
08-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Im up for it if its late september/october.. not too bad of a drive for me.. I should have my tail back by then... im for springs in ocala area or further north....heard theres a great deep spring near the florida caverns if anyone can find out about that one..

Drowning
08-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Not yet sure if I can make it, but would anyone be interested in scuba diving at the meet?

Ilonka
08-16-2012, 05:18 PM
I arrive to Florida September 5th! I'm going to be living in Sarasota. I have no friends in FL so it would be perfect if I could go to the meeting!

Drowning
08-16-2012, 05:30 PM
I arrive to Florida September 5th! I'm going to be living in Sarasota. I have no friends in FL so it would be perfect if I could go to the meeting!

You have at least one friend in Tampa! :)

Mermaid Gosalyn
08-16-2012, 07:29 PM
I'm interested, of course. :D I'm hoping we can make it to a spring since they usually have such clear water, even if it is cold. I really hope to meet some great merfolk from Florida (and Georgia, if they can make it).

Blondie
08-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Wow!!! I'm so surprised with this turn out!

@Wavy: That's fine! My birthday is that week so I won't vote for that week either since my family will be in and what not. Blue Springs is by far my favorite. But it's also an extra hour drive out for me. But in a way I think it's worth it. I know both of them are Ocala bound. Silver Glenn is pretty central and there's a dock and an area where you can wade in. (Probably more like roll in with tails on.) Blue springs has a dock, and stairs from what I remember. So we'd probably have to flop off the dock to get in.

@ Drowning: As much as I would love to scuba. I've never done it nor have equipment :x So you'd have to count me out of that one.

@Nerine: What I'm looking at is the 14th or 15th and the 21st or 22nd. Are those late enough for you? When do you get your tail back do you know?

@Ilonka: I would FLIP OUT if you came!! I would love to meet you and see your tails! I've been sort of a creeper and have been stalking your tail making threads :$

@Gosalyn: Not going to lie, it's pretty chilly. I'm a wuss when it comes to cold water too but I handle it. It's nice because as soon as you step out it's all warm because of the hot air and weather. So I guess that's a plus.

In summary, how does the 14th or 15th and the 21st and 22nd sound for everyone? Any questions, comments, joys or sorrows as of now?

Drowning
08-17-2012, 09:07 AM
@ Drowning: As much as I would love to scuba. I've never done it nor have equipment :x So you'd have to count me out of that one.

Whenever you're ready to try scuba, iblondie, (and you know you want to! ;)), just let me know. I'd love to get together with the Florida Merfolk and get us all diving.

Blondie
08-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Whenever you're ready to try scuba, iblondie, (and you know you want to! ;)), just let me know. I'd love to get together with the Florida Merfolk and get us all diving.

Oh I do want to! It's an expensive hobby though xD Not fit for poor college students like myself. It would be awesome to get a group of mers diving and do some trips every now and then. Do you go cave diving in springs?

Oh! And would it be a good idea to make a facebook event for this?

Drowning
08-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Oh I do want to! It's an expensive hobby though xD Not fit for poor college students like myself. It would be awesome to get a group of mers diving and do some trips every now and then. Do you go cave diving in springs?

Oh! And would it be a good idea to make a facebook event for this?

If you have a friend with some gear, it's not expensive at all ;)

I don't do cave diving. I much prefer a warm, blue reef with colorful marine life to dark cave!

WavyMermaidy
08-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Wow!!! I'm so surprised with this turn out!

@Wavy: That's fine! My birthday is that week so I won't vote for that week either since my family will be in and what not. Blue Springs is by far my favorite. But it's also an extra hour drive out for me. But in a way I think it's worth it. I know both of them are Ocala bound. Silver Glenn is pretty central and there's a dock and an area where you can wade in. (Probably more like roll in with tails on.) Blue springs has a dock, and stairs from what I remember. So we'd probably have to flop off the dock to get in.

Yes, Blue Springs does have a dock (actually 2) and several sets of stairs that go right into the water. The only concern with Blue Springs, as pretty and nice of a setting as it is, is that there is not a huge swimming area that is deep...the boil is deepish but not huge...and to swim to the boil requires going in not so deep water over lots of submerged logs and such that I think might be easy to scrape tails on. It's definitely doable, but might not be our best option.

Although... (doh!) now that I've just said all that I seem to remember that there are actually 2 Blue Springs in Florida. I just looked it up after typing that and found there is one north of Gainesville and one in Orange City off of I-95 north of Orlando. I'm talking about the Orange City one...are you talking about the other one? I went to the other one's website and it looks nice. Ah, ok, I guess that is Blue Spring(s) whereas the Orange City one is Blue Spring(no "s"). OH well. I guess there are worse things than having too many beautiful springs to choose from :p Blue Spring(s) (if that's the one you're talking about) would be a farther drive for me as well but would still absolutely be worth it, and you said it's your favorite :)

Alexander Springs (the one that is near Silver Glen) has some really shallow sandy areas to wade in that would be good for putting on tails as well as some stairs and a deep, pretty boil. I just googled both of them a moment ago and they look pretty similar actually...so either one of those would be nice since that area is pretty centrally located. But I'm really up for anything :)

In summary, how does the 14th or 15th and the 21st and 22nd sound for everyone? Any questions, comments, joys or sorrows as of now? I have a conflict with only the 21st, but as long as I know ahead of time I can get out of my previous commitment for that day if that works best for everyone else.

Mermaid Gosalyn
08-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Silver Glen seems really nice, and as far as I know, I have no conflicts with any of those dates. I think that as far as sand vs. stairs goes we would probably be better on sand, though never having had experience putting on a tail I can't be sure.

Drowning, as much as I'd love to learn how to scuba, the website says that's not allowed in the spring (though I've seen pictures of people who were supposedly there doing it).

Blondie
08-18-2012, 01:42 AM
@ Drowning: Ah I was only wondering xD Cave diving is WAY too intense for me. I watch tons of videos on back in high school because my old science teacher's husband was into it. It's so extreme... I could never cram my body down way underwater in the dark. Like there's no cry for help down there. You're on your own basically xD

@ Wavy: I am SO glad you brought that up about the logs! You are absolutely right! They would damage tails. I can just picture that snagging spandex and making a hole! And yeah you have to swim up the current through the branches and logs to get to the deeper part. I was watching videos of each springs and now I'm beginning to lean toward Alexander Springs. It's deep enough to swim in and it's pretty big! Silver Glen is pretty shallow from what I remember. For me when i stood up the water came to my thighs. I just watched these videos of the springs...
Silver Glen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6JB32MDI9Q
Alexander - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEw1rItaS5A
Personally I think I like Alexander more. It seems like you can see/do more there. Although though I did find this picture http://www.scubadiver.cc/forums/gallery/files/9/6/alligator_2.jpg and I'm a little concerned. Hopefully that's not near where the public swims :x wouldn't imagine an animal that size chilling there... And the positive thing about both springs is that they're relatively close to one another. So if something happens at one of them we can just move to the next.

@Gosalyn: Sliver Glen doesn't allow scuba diving I believe. But Alexander does. If that helps at all to those who are interested in scuba diving xD

For everyone!: So we're leaning toward the 14th or 15th of September. Debate between Silver Glen and Alexander Springs so we can get this thing on a roll! :D

WavyMermaidy
08-18-2012, 12:25 PM
iblondie: Thanks for posting those videos...they are both beautiful places! The one of Silver Glen was cool where they had all the fish :D Alexander is really big, and there are shallow areas as well as those deep ones...lots of variety. And I actually have seen the gator that lives there, and it tends to stay on the edges (and I've only seen it one time out of the many I've been there). Every time I've been to the springs there are always park employees around that keep an eye on the wildlife.

That's a good point, too, that both springs are close to one another in case we need to move for some reason from wherever we start at :)

Oh, the videos reminded me of another I've seen with Alexander, just for another POV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDc1uuF5tDg This is of Mermaid Sasha (aka the Fire Gypsy) swimming there in a tail.

NerineArcticMermaid
08-18-2012, 01:15 PM
not sure when i get tail back
im for which ever spring is deep and farthest north.
dates not isseu if on weekend
only money for gas issue as im still unemployed

Mermaid Gosalyn
08-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Oh man, those videos are great! It does look like Alexander springs would be a better place to swim, since it's deeper. Does anyone know if it only has stairs? I think people will need to bring something soft to put their tails on then.

Also, does anyone happen to have any photography or video equipment for underwater? I might could make a casing for my camera, but it's just a point and shoot so I'm not sure how the pictures would come out...

WavyMermaidy
08-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Alexander has the cement stairs as well as a seawall sort of thing that extends to either side of the main stairs. I think there also stairs for the divers entry near one end of the main swimming area, but I've never really looked at them to see what they're like...but probably cement like the main stairs and the seawall.

There are also some grassy areas to the other end of the swimming area that extend down into some very shallow water, and though there are some tree roots there it might be an easier (and softer) spot to put in tails and get in from. Either way I plan to probably bring a yoga mat just in case. Here are a few pics I found online...doesn't show the grassy entry too well, but it gives sortof a view of it in the bottom pic. The top pic shows the entry area from the viewpoint of being on the grassy area...the divers' entry is the farthest point away along the seawall, with the main stairs midway from the photographer to the divers' entry.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/46/1c/9d/the-beach-area.jpghttp://www.ufadventure.com/trippictures/alexander083.jpg

As for the photos and such, I plan to bring my underwater bag for my camera. I've used it in the recent past at Alexander and other springs and have gotten some pretty good pictures and video, and it's just a basic Olympus digital camera. But hey, if anyone has anything better (or anything, really) bring it anyway and we'll get what we can :)

Blondie
08-18-2012, 05:46 PM
@Wavy: I did some more searching on the gator. That big one apparently was removed back in 2008. But there is a good sized one still there. I'm guessing the gators would try to keep away from the people who are swimming. They're not going to just "attack" you. You'd have to spook it or something first. I'm glad they keep an eye out for the wildlife while people are swimming. My mother hates gators and I'd hate to explain to her there was an accident while swimming in a mermaid tail .-. And that's Alexander springs in Sasha's video?? I was in 7th grade last time I watched that XD Wow! I can't believe that. That's cool ^^

@Gosalyn: I had bought this waterproof case/bag for my iphone. It works very well for all smartphones actually! You can press the screen still even when it's in it's case. I'm bringing that to the springs. It's pretty cheap too! Here's the link to it http://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-Waterproof-Purpose/dp/B0010Y0ZNW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1345325668&sr=8-4&keywords=waterproof+bag

@Nerine: Alexander Springs is deeper. But it's a little more south. Here's a map for you to look at...
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/Sliver_Shine29/map.png

NerineArcticMermaid
08-19-2012, 03:29 AM
anyone checi tge spring near the florida caverns? not sure what its called but the spring head is like 100ft deep!

WavyMermaidy
08-19-2012, 09:17 AM
nerine: From what I'm seeing on Google, that spring is called Blue Hole Spring. Seems very cool, as do many of the springs in Florida (and I don't know about anyone else, but eventually I'd love to visit all the public springs at some point in my life :) My only thought about this one is that it's pretty far north (as far as Florida goes, anyway) and, though I'm not sure how many people would be coming and from where, I think it might be better to have one slightly more centrally located...which I think is why the ones in Ocala Nat'l Forest have been suggested as the main options.

I do know that it would be closer for you by about two hours (according to Google Maps and the city you have listed below your avatar). I'd love to see some more thoughts/suggestions/opinions from anyone else? I feel like I shouldn't be someone that should make too much of an opinion on it b/c the ones in Ocala Nat'l Forest would only be a little more than an hour or so away from me, so of course they seem appealing (even though I also think they are good springs for various reasons) whereas everyone else will probably be coming from farther distances no matter what.

NerineArcticMermaid
08-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Let me know.. itll be a long drive either way for me

Blondie
08-19-2012, 01:47 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Wavy. I think the Florida Cavern one is too far. Well I know for a fact I wouldn't be able to go to that one. That's 8 hours of driving for me in total. My parents would never ever let me do that to go mermaiding. The Ocala springs are centrally located for the Florida mers. It shouldn't be more than a two hour drive for anyone. I know you're in Georiga Nerine and that's going to be kind of tough for you. But it is a "Florida" mermaid meet up. And others are more than welcomed to join! But I think we should keep it centrally located for the Florida mers. I'm not trying to not include you at all! I'd love for you to be there and meet you! I just think we have to take the majority of mer's locations into mind. And if you look at the spiffy new map that was made, central Florida seems like the ideal place for everyone to gather.

Personally I'm going to put my vote in for Alexander Springs. I think that's a perfect place to mermaid. And I had a dream we were there last night xD So... I wonder if I can put a poll on this thread...

WavyMermaidy
08-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Cool idea putting in the poll, iblondie! And that's so fantastic about your dream of us all being there :)

And nerine, I certainly hope you can still make it even though it will be quite a drive...like iblondie said, we definitely do not want to exclude you. At least it won't be quite as far as MerPalooza was :)

Stephanie Sims
08-19-2012, 08:03 PM
I would love to go and hang out..Try my new tail. Silver Glen is nice and there is a beachy area where getting into the water seems pretty easy...very picturesque!! *Please let me know!! @Nerine - I would love to see you again!! Never saw your tail! Alexander is also very nice, seems very safe. Seems like you might want to go early in the morning there, though, as they seem to do a lot of scuba training there. *

Blondie
08-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Steph! I'd love to see you come!! I want to hear more Mer-Palooza stories xDD Where did you get your new tail? Or did you make it?

I found this site about Alexander Springs http://underwaterflorida.homestead.com/alexander.html It seems like it's a very well known and respected spring. It think that's what we're going to aim for since it's the most central for all of us. Have you been to Silver Glen a lot though? One of the main reasons we weren't into it is because it's pretty shallow **From what I remember almost 5-6 years ago** Do you think it's deep enough to swim in with a tail?

NerineArcticMermaid
08-20-2012, 02:14 AM
I'll try like hell to go.... Jesse should have my tail finished up in a week or so.. he's already taken it in and cut the fluke down.... now is just finishing up the changes to the paint for me

Keep me posted

WavyMermaidy
08-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Stephanie - re: scuba divers, funny enough as many times as I've been to Alexander I've rarely seen any Scuba-ers there, training or otherwise...so hopefully if we do decide to go there we won't have to worry too much about a crazy influx of divers.

It does get busy during the summer with just swimmers/snorkelers, as I'm sure Silver Glen does too, although it has never been too bad at all in my experience. Now to be honest the times that I have been to Alexander this summer are generally week days, so weekends might be a bit more crowded...but hopefully since it will be post-labor day when we go the crowds shouldn't be too bad, even on weekends (now watch me go say all this and then it be like National Scuba Diver day or National Visit-A-Spring Day and it's completely packed, LOL).

Have we decided on the 14th or on the 15th? The 14th is a Friday which would almost guarantee smaller crowds no matter what, but it might be harder for some of us to make it on a weekday (although I personally have no problem with getting there on a Friday).

Blondie
08-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Friday the 14th is the best day do me as well. I dont have school on Fridays and my family is working or at school. So I dont have to worry about people needing me for a ride or what not.

Next question would be what time are we looking at going? I was thinking around 11-12 in the morning. Or is that too early/late?

Also, I was thinking we should all try to bring a food of some sort. So we can have a small picnic or lunch :). It doesn't have to be anything big. Like someone can bring drinks, someone can bring sandwiches, ect... Is anyone whose interested in going a vegan or vegetarian? I dont want to bring something wrapped in bacon and then you can't eat it xD

Stephanie Sims
08-20-2012, 11:40 AM
I can bring a fruit tray or something. There are a LOT of overly friendly squirrels, and kind of a lot of flies..so while barbacue-ing and all of that is an option, the reality is that from what i've seen, it seems best to eat quick! How about grapes, melon chunks, pineapples, etc. I'm down for bringing all of that!

I was there the other day, and scuba divers seem to start coming a little before noon. The group that came the other day had about a dozen in it...So, if we are doing pics, etc., we might have a lot of company..But that doesn't matter to me! :)

WavyMermaidy
08-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Ha ha, there is definitely some squirrel begging going on there ;)

I agree with Stephanie that bringing "quick" or at least non-cooking food is a good idea. I am vegetarian (thank for thinking of that, iblondie!) but not vegan. There is a great bagel place in my town so I could get some assorted bagels and could bring cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayo...*if someone else wanted to bring lunchmeat for the meat-eaters*...then we could use those as sandwiches? Alternatively I could bring just bread instead of bagels for sandwiches...but yeah, either way I'll volunteer to bring bread or bagels and the aforementioned sandwich fixins. And if anyone else wants any other condiments toppings they are welcome to bring those too.

As for drinks I think it's always best to stick with water when outside in the heat but that's just me.

Blondie
08-20-2012, 04:57 PM
I just made a facebook group for this. (Facebook is my life and keeps me uber organized and what not.) So if you want to join, send me a PM with the facebook you're joining on and I'll add you into the group :3

And yes! I remember those begging squirrels. When I was at Silver Glen as a kid, our bus driver was sitting and eating in a chair when a squirrel came up to her. She thought it was cute and went back to eating. Then it wacked her with it's paws because it wasn't giving her food xD I thought it was pretty funny...

I was thinking about bringing one of Publix's sandwich rings. They're really yummy and you can get them half veggie and half meat ^^ http://www.publix.com/managed_images/2009/Meal_Wheel.jpg

Oh and for the scuba divers, I have no problem with them mingling around us xD

WavyMermaidy
08-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Hmmm...the Publix sandwich thing sounds a little better than bringing sandwich supplies. I can switch to bringing chips and a really good cream cheese salsa mix :)

Mermaid Gosalyn
08-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Hmm, I have no idea what to bring. ^^; Maybe I can get some water in a cooler?

Blondie
08-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Sounds good :) What ever you can do helps ^^

Moonflower
08-21-2012, 01:36 PM
I vote for Rainbow Springs... I didn't like Alexander at ALL when I went last time...

Blondie
08-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Rainbow springs is about two hours from the Ocala springs we were originally looking at. It looks pretty ^^ May I ask what was it you didn't like about Alexander Springs Moon?

Moonflower
08-21-2012, 02:30 PM
It was too shallow and getting in from the sand was a pain... Perhaps I went to the wrong area... Both springs are equidistant from me, so I didn't realize how far they were from each other.

Blondie
08-22-2012, 07:17 PM
ANNOUNCEMENT:
The meet up is going to be held at Alexander Springs.
We are going to try to meet up around noon time.
I need to know what day works best for everyone ASAP , Friday, September 14th or Saturday September 15th.
Please send me a PM with your facebook name so I can add you into the group.

WavyMermaidy
08-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Either day is fine for me :)

Mermaid Gosalyn
08-23-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm also good with either day. =)

Mermaid Star
08-27-2012, 03:55 AM
I would like to attempt to make it to this though I am not sure of my work schedule and I haven't consulted the boyfriend. But I am interested!

Stephanie Sims
08-27-2012, 12:29 PM
*I will be there with fruit!

WavyMermaidy
08-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Hey, I'm still good with either day but did we ever come up with a consensus with which day is going to be THE day? Or are we still waiting on that...no worries either way, just curious :)

Blondie
08-27-2012, 11:28 PM
I officially put in on my schedule at work that it's the 14th. Since we're all cool with whatever day it is, I'm going to say..

The official day is Friday, September 14th.

Blondie
08-28-2012, 12:25 AM
Also, here is the facebook group. http://www.facebook.com/groups/105532099596861/
I'll still post here, but it's so much more faster to post on facebook. So you'll see info first on there.

Mermaid Gosalyn
08-28-2012, 09:48 PM
I can't wait! I should have my first tail done by then. :D

Mermaid Gosalyn
08-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Okay, I've had a strange set of circumstances occur: My family has been adopted by a really close friend of my mother's, and she has even bought a house for us all to move into! So her family is flying in from various states to meet my family, and will be here for about two weeks. Some of them heard about the spring and really want to come, and the two youngest, an 5 yr old and 8 yr old little girls, are really excited to meet mermaids. The rest are adults and I'm sure will give us our space to swim and all, but that brings my headcount, including me, to about 10. I'm really, really hoping this doesn't cause any problems, and also am sorry; I only just found out myself. ^^;

WavyMermaidy
08-31-2012, 09:11 PM
I would think the more the merrier, especially if they dig the mermaid thing and are excited about it. I am bringing my hubby/mertender and was thinking of inviting some fellow non-mernetwork mers from the Sirens of the Deep Camp. Don't know if any will come but I thought I'd extend the invite...but thought I'd check here first as well.

Stephanie Sims
09-01-2012, 06:10 PM
**The springs is a cool place and the kind of place where everyone will feel welcome, all ages!
The swim are has nice shallow areas too for little ones!

Stephanie Sims
09-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Okay, I've had a strange set of circumstances occur: My family has been adopted by a really close friend of my mother's, and she has even bought a house for us all to move into! So her family is flying in from various states to meet my family, and will be here for about two weeks. Some of them heard about the spring and really want to come, and the two youngest, an 5 yr old and 8 yr old little girls, are really excited to meet mermaids. The rest are adults and I'm sure will give us our space to swim and all, but that brings my headcount, including me, to about 10. I'm really, really hoping this doesn't cause any problems, and also am sorry; I only just found out myself. ^^;Wow!! Anyone I know? lol

Blondie
09-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Okay, I've had a strange set of circumstances occur: My family has been adopted by a really close friend of my mother's, and she has even bought a house for us all to move into! So her family is flying in from various states to meet my family, and will be here for about two weeks. Some of them heard about the spring and really want to come, and the two youngest, an 5 yr old and 8 yr old little girls, are really excited to meet mermaids. The rest are adults and I'm sure will give us our space to swim and all, but that brings my headcount, including me, to about 10. I'm really, really hoping this doesn't cause any problems, and also am sorry; I only just found out myself. ^^;
Of course Gosalyn :) If they're interested in mermaids they can sure come!

Mermaid Gosalyn
09-02-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm so glad! I was worried it might be an issue.

I'd love to hear about the Sirens camp, too! I'd love to go to one someday.

Two weeks, yahoo! :D

Ilonka
09-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Still up for the 15th? I wanted to go :'(

Blondie
09-03-2012, 02:33 AM
The 14th it is

NerineArcticMermaid
09-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Ugh....i might have been able to swing the trip but not if is on the 14th....i have class till 8pm Thursday.. and is a 9hr drive.... no way I could go unless its on Saturday... :-(

Drowning
09-05-2012, 05:15 PM
I can't make it :( I'll work on a scuba meet up for interested Mers as soon as I can. Anyone interested, drop me a line...

Stephanie Sims
09-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Well, I will be there. :)

NerineArcticMermaid
09-07-2012, 11:53 PM
I wanna go soooo bad!!!!

Still no job so prb wont go.. pooey...

Blondie
09-08-2012, 12:24 AM
I'm sorry to hear that :( Daaarnn... Well we'll have others in time.

NerineArcticMermaid
09-10-2012, 06:55 PM
There is a very slight chance I might still be able to go.. Cant post this on fb cause unfortunetly even at my age my mom is a snoop!
I emailed my dad recently.. He has some savings bonds my grandmother bought me over 20yrs ago.. Ive gotten a batch to live off back in june... but since no job yet.. I had to email him agian in hopes he might sen me another batch. I hope by xmas season to be working again.. cant see how I wouldnt.. so if he doesn I can swing the $100 for gas!

Sooooo need the video and pics Id get from this to propose a job at a theme park here.. They have a winter angel already.. so Having the Arctic mermaid is not soucha stretch :D

Moonflower
09-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Did the facebook page disappear? I can't seem to find it...

Blondie
09-13-2012, 12:37 AM
Oooh interesting Nerine! Keep me posted :) And good luck with your job!!

Here's the link again Moon http://www.facebook.com/groups/105532099596861/ I don't know why it's not working for you :\ I assure you any SUPER important information will be posted here and the facebook no matter what.

NerineArcticMermaid
09-13-2012, 09:28 PM
IM GOING!!!!!!!!

See you guys tomorrow!!!!!!!

Just in case im asleep.. Im in a little light blue Ford Tempo with a mermaid ribbon magnet on the back.. someone come wake me up just in case.. gota leave a like 2 am to make it in time.. just found out i can go!!

Blondie
09-13-2012, 10:40 PM
YAY! NERINE!!!!! YOU DID IT!!!

Moonflower
09-14-2012, 01:38 AM
I'm bringing my underwater camera and my new underwater housing for my iphone to try out! *squee*

Moonflower
09-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Today was AWESOME! Thank you all who came for making it such a great meet up ^_^

Blondie
09-14-2012, 08:32 PM
That is was! I'm SO happy we got to do this! I met four amazing mers today :3 And friends!

NerineArcticMermaid
09-14-2012, 08:59 PM
:-)
Yeppers beest day ever...

Im soooooooo burnt!!

In gainsville in hotel... tired..
Glad i came.. cant wait to see pics and video!

Blondie
09-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Working on such now. My video is pretty bad... So don't get your hopes up! xD

Le Edit: Photobucket is down as of now >> Curses...

WavyMermaidy
09-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Yay!!! Ken and I both had a blast too. It was so much fun, and I hope we get to do it again!! I will post pics and video too when I get a chance :)

NerineArcticMermaid
09-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Cant wait for images!!!!!!!!

WavyMermaidy
09-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Here are the pics I took...the underwater ones were just random candid ones in the short time I had my camera on me so they're probably not the best, but oh well!!! I'm going to post the vids on FB first so I can then load them onto here from there...can't figure out how to get it straight from my computer.

Moonflower
09-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Please let me know if anyone who wants to see these has trouble, b/c I don't know if coming from FB makes it private or something...it shows up on my computer but I'm the one who posted them, so you know. Anyhow, hope they show up and can't wait to see footage from everyone else that took some :)
I can't see any of the videos... ;_;

WavyMermaidy
09-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Boo...well, I put them on the FB group so you can hopefully see them there. I guess I will just take down my video posts here if they aren't working...I was afraid of that.

Blondie
09-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanky Wavy! They're beautiful!!

Mermaid Gosalyn
09-15-2012, 08:11 PM
I had sooo much fun! I'm glad everyone who was able to make it was there! Thanks for making it such a wonderful get together! <3

NerineArcticMermaid
09-15-2012, 08:13 PM
soo awesome.. cant wait to see the rest of the videos!

MermaidDelani
09-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Awwww...this looks like so much fun. I would've loved to come.

Blondie
09-16-2012, 12:46 AM
Here's what I got!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqQyLbMtRFk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE1Wa2xF69w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oQX9FHx8uo

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/Sliver_Shine29/6A9D5D70-1847-46CD-8E3A-49A39E921947-27371-0000230E6A70EBA6.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/Sliver_Shine29/28E70F60-E723-4BA4-9926-70271E12430B-27371-0000230E67311FA0.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/Sliver_Shine29/B67CA6A3-3A85-4DCE-9AA2-6094DCB942A5-27371-0000230E68C2AF76.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/Sliver_Shine29/CD52FC14-5C11-4C73-B2D0-0FE407AE449D-27371-0000230E71AA63AE.jpg

WavyMermaidy
09-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Cool, thanks for posting, iblondie :)

Mermaid Gosalyn
09-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Wonderful! I am loving all the pics and videos! I will have to wait until I get actual internet before I can post the video my husband got (it's all above the surface though).

NerineArcticMermaid
09-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Col..he gotus doing the mermaid faint then lol

AniaR
09-16-2012, 09:13 PM
you all look amazing

Drowning
09-17-2012, 11:11 AM
I am so sorry I couldn't make it! :(

Drowning
09-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Here's what I got!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqQyLbMtRFk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE1Wa2xF69w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oQX9FHx8uo

Loved the videos!!

I hope I can make the next mer meet to do the photography & video.

Blondie
09-17-2012, 08:16 PM
That's alright Drowning! There will be more to come later on :)

Moonflower
09-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Been busy these last few days, but I'm working on the videos I took now. I wish I'd gotten more, they didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, but I did get a few awesome shots of everyone!

NerineArcticMermaid
09-17-2012, 11:07 PM
I'll take what ever you got good or bad :-)

Blondie
09-17-2012, 11:53 PM
Been busy these last few days, but I'm working on the videos I took now. I wish I'd gotten more, they didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, but I did get a few awesome shots of everyone!

Is it just me or does that always happen when you try to film underwater? xD I once had like ten videos of me blowing ring bubbles. None of them were good enough xD

Moonflower
09-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Is it just me or does that always happen when you try to film underwater? xD I once had like ten videos of me blowing ring bubbles. None of them were good enough xD

Yes, you need a LOT of footage to be able to get something good... Or a scuba diver who can actually film properly LOL

Moonflower
09-18-2012, 12:57 AM
I'll take what ever you got good or bad :-)

I really wish I'd gotten more footage. It's my fault not bringing more extra batteries...

Moonflower
09-18-2012, 12:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P9Xp4BBBKE&amp;feature=youtu.be

Patches
09-18-2012, 01:06 AM
Wow, I can't believe I just missed this. :/ I wish I could've gone but I ended up being sick this weekend so even if I tried finding a ride no guarantees I would've been able to go. Looks like it was SOOO much fun though! I'm jelly. >.<

Ashe
09-18-2012, 01:08 AM
I love it! Very cute <3

NerineArcticMermaid
09-18-2012, 01:18 AM
I love tjat video!email me a copy please

Drowning
09-18-2012, 08:46 AM
... Or a scuba diver who can actually film properly LOL

Next time, let's try a shallow reef, I'll bring my gear and my camera. And I'll offer a breath of air to any mermaid who asks me nicely...

Blondie
09-18-2012, 09:02 AM
Next time, let's try a shallow reef, I'll bring my gear and my camera. And I'll offer a breath of air to any mermaid who asks me nicely...
Are there any shallow reefs in Florida? Besides the keys area haha.

Patches
09-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Yeah, I don't even know. I was wondering the same thing. The keys would be sooooo nice though. ):

Blondie
09-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I don't even know. I was wondering the same thing. The keys would be sooooo nice though. ):
Oh for sure xD I would kill to go to the keys. I've lived in Florida for almost 15 years and I've never been. It's a looong drive for me though

Mermaid Gosalyn
09-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Ah, that video is awesome! And it says I'm the production designer, lol.

Stephanie Sims
09-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Missed you guys! I am so glad you all had fun! <3

Stephanie Sims
09-18-2012, 10:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P9Xp4BBBKE&amp;feature=youtu.be
This is SO AWESOME Guys! Wow!!!! I have some video work that needs to be done, Please let me know if you would be able to help me!? This looked so great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVERYONE WAS BEAUTIFUL.

Gosalyn and Nerine - Loved the tails!!

NerineArcticMermaid
09-18-2012, 11:10 PM
We missed you soo much there steph!!

Hope car is ok now :)

Blondie
09-19-2012, 12:47 AM
You where missed Steph D: Yeah we couldn't get any service out in the springs so we didn't know about your car until we were all about to leave :\

Moonflower
09-19-2012, 09:04 AM
Oh for sure xD I would kill to go to the keys. I've lived in Florida for almost 15 years and I've never been. It's a looong drive for me though

Yeah, that's definitely not a day trip... Maybe at some point we can all plan an overnight and stay in one of the hotels, but I think just the fact that we got 5 mers in one place is a great start!

NerineArcticMermaid
09-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Indeed!!!

Im up for that.. but I need way advance notice.. :)

We could always try for one of the islands off the coast of georgia near savannah..like jekell or something :) suposed to be nice too

WavyMermaidy
09-19-2012, 06:56 PM
I'm agreed with Nerine in that as long as there is advanced notice I would be willing to travel a ways if necessary.

Blondie
09-19-2012, 08:09 PM
True true ^^ We could share a hotel for a night. That would cut the costs up dramatically..

Mermaid Gosalyn
09-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Sharing a hotel with mermaids and a chance to go to the keys!? Sounds awesome! Everyone start saving now. XD

Moonflower
09-22-2012, 02:12 AM
Don't they have a mermaid festival or something down there? I remember seeing something about it on TV years ago, where they play music under water, then pretend to play instruments to the music to entice the mermaids to come see them? Anyone know what I'm talking about (or am I just crazy?).

Moonflower
09-22-2012, 02:13 AM
Okay, not crazy, but it's a long way off from now http://www.fla-keys.com/news/news.cfm?sid=8069

WavyMermaidy
09-22-2012, 08:58 AM
That looks pretty cool!!! Planning a trip to the keys in mid summer doesn't sound like such a bad idea b/c it gives us all PLENTY of time to schedule it. But I think that means we could also do another meetup more centrally located again somewhere between now and then.

Moonflower
09-22-2012, 12:06 PM
That looks pretty cool!!! Planning a trip to the keys in mid summer doesn't sound like such a bad idea b/c it gives us all PLENTY of time to schedule it. But I think that means we could also do another meetup more centrally located again somewhere between now and then.

Oh, definitely! We need at least one more before summer next year! LOL

But, yes, I agree this event would be a great time to plan for a trip. Anyone else interested?

Mermaid Gosalyn
09-22-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure I could get together the resources to get to the Keys by summer, but it does sound good...

NerineArcticMermaid
09-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Sounds good

Mermaid Gosalyn
09-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Alright, I've got my videos up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjUnmdRDtXs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0QtgZIFoB8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lhr7cPPjog

BTW, Michi, my whole family thinks you have an amazing singing voice, and my little sister wants to steal you and make you sing for her. XD

NerineArcticMermaid
09-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Awesome!

Blondie
09-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the videos Gosalyn :) I agree, Michi sings like a siren straight out of the movies/books!

telzey.amberdon
09-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Love the Videos. There was also a mer-kitty video?

NerineArcticMermaid
09-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Love that you got the whole....i can't get up part! That was even funnier than when it happened lol
Too bad we didnt get the mermaid fai nt on film

Moonflower
10-01-2012, 05:22 PM
*blushes* Thank you very much ^_^;;

Mermaid Gosalyn
10-02-2012, 07:24 PM
I wanted to let you guys know that I am having to move back to Orlando... I will still be able to come to meets and things though.

Blondie
10-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Just submitted two of our group pictures to Tail Flip Magazine :)

WavyMermaidy
10-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Awesome! :)

mermanjr
10-28-2012, 03:52 PM
well I am moving to florida In january
To my new clearwater home and some of my florida freinds where thinking of going to one of the local areas they know to merswim and maybe we can all set a date and go or you all can come over to my new house and checkout the new pool or we can hang on the beach close by

Mermaid Gosalyn
10-28-2012, 08:58 PM
iBlondie- Awesome! Do you know if they'll be in the magazine?

mermanjr- Ooh, another swim sounds like fun! I don't know if the weather will be warm enough in January though...

Blondie
10-29-2012, 01:29 AM
I don't know Gosalyn :) I sure hope so!! We took a very awesome group picture ;)

And MermanJr, I sure hope we can swim together! I'm thinking about having another meet up in the spring for sure. I'm a wimp when it comes to cold water in the winter. I had to do my lifeguard training in February back in Florida's bad winter a few years ago. Never again will I willingly go in the water in the winter again xD Bad experience.

But Spring, summer, fall, I'm doooown for swims. As long as they work with school and work.

Mermaid Mako
10-29-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm in St. Pete! Would love a meetup--I'm pretty much down for driving wherever, or carpooling. ^_^ I guess that would inspire me to dust off the ole' monofin and do something with the supplies I bought for tail-making---hehe :)

Blondie
10-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Just plan for the spring :) Well, that is if I'm going to put together another meet up. If anyone else is gonna plan one earlier go for it xD

Mermaid Gosalyn
10-29-2012, 07:48 PM
After I'm done moving, I'd love to do a get together to go to Weeki Wachee or Disney sometime, if anyone is interested. Another thing we could do while the weather is cold is get together to make tails, or maybe even find someone who will do a work shop!

Blondie
10-30-2012, 02:51 AM
After I'm done moving, I'd love to do a get together to go to Weeki Wachee or Disney sometime, if anyone is interested. Another thing we could do while the weather is cold is get together to make tails, or maybe even find someone who will do a work shop!

That would be fun to do a tail making workshop :D Or something.. I don't know I've been tossing around the idea of making a sequin tail. But I'm kinda like "You just got a tail! Use that!" But you know it's like a dress xD You want more than just one. I feel like once I get more swims in my Fish Butt I'll warm up to the idea more.

Sorry for the rant xDD

Mermaid Mako
10-30-2012, 08:32 AM
I love the idea of a sewing circle, and iblondie--I hear ya on the sequin tail! I had a shopping spree at Cartwright's for sequins months back and I'm sad to report that I haven't even started, lol. Maybe we could make it a pot-luck too :)

Mermaid Gosalyn
11-02-2012, 10:26 PM
I agree that tails are like dresses; you definitely want more than one! There are so many different types and they have different advantages, and of course then there's the different colors and styles!

Blondie
12-10-2012, 12:27 AM
Hey there! We got published in Tail Flip if anyone's interested in looking! #PodoftheSouth xD We're so cool!
http://issuu.com/t_obrecht/docs/mermaid_magazine_issue_4

NerineArcticMermaid
12-10-2012, 01:14 AM
I saw! how cool!!

Mermaid Gosalyn
12-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Two pictures! Go us!

MermanJesse
12-11-2012, 03:21 PM
I will be in Florida during the week of Christmas. Anyone wanna meet up for a swim on Friday the 28th?

Blondie
12-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Aaahhh that would be awesome D: I don't know if I can or not. Where in Florida are you going to be?

Mermaid Saphira
12-12-2012, 12:01 PM
I usually go to Florida every Christmas, we recently stopped going 2 years ago, but man how I wish we didn't now! I would love to meet up w. u mers :(
Have fun anyway! ;)

WavyMermaidy
12-12-2012, 01:50 PM
I would love to meet up on the 28th but I am working that day....

Mermaid Gosalyn
12-12-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm afraid I've got doctors appointments on the 28th. :(

MermanJesse
12-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Wednesday the 26th?

Mermaid Gosalyn
12-12-2012, 04:57 PM
I might could do that. :) What part of Florida do you expect to be in? Where were you thinking of swimming?

MermanJesse
12-12-2012, 08:55 PM
I will be in the Ocala area.

I am going to Busch Gardens on Thursday, so that is a no go.

Silver Glen, Rainbow, Salt Springs. Anywhere really. Where ever everyone else would like to go.

NerineArcticMermaid
12-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Ugh!!!!!!!! I wanna go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alexander spring was awesome!

Blondie
12-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Meerrr I don't know... Christmas time is so sticky for me because if my family isn't calling to hang out my friends in college are... I want to but >< It's just hard when everyone is in town again.

Although I will say, the weather has been fantastic. It was kinda cold today but it's supposed to get warm again this weekend.

WavyMermaidy
12-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Grrr! I Sooooo wish I could but that whole week is crazy...parents in town from Ohio, niece's marching band performing at Disney (also from Ohio), and work. I hope at least SOMEONE is able to meet up with you!

NerineArcticMermaid
12-14-2012, 10:00 PM
How about end of January instead?

Moonflower
12-15-2012, 06:05 AM
I'd love to meet up, Jesse! Let me know when/where and all that, and I'll be there ^_^

Mermaid Mako
01-18-2013, 03:22 PM
I will be performing w/my gypsy troop @ The Hoggetowne Medieval Faire in Gainesville the last weekend of January & First weekend of February if anyone is in that area. ^_^

Mermaid Gosalyn
01-18-2013, 03:35 PM
I wish I was! That sounds awesome. Do you preform as a mermaid?

frozenbutterflywings
01-18-2013, 10:19 PM
Hey! I am definitely new to the mer community and looking forward to meeting new mermaids and mermen ^^

Mermaid Mako
01-23-2013, 12:37 PM
I wish I was! That sounds awesome. Do you preform as a mermaid?

I perform with a belly dance group there. We do mainly Saidii (Egyptian Folkloric) style dance with some fire dancing and shenanigans involved. This is my fourth year with the troop so I'm excited to return :-) .

Mermaid Gosalyn
02-15-2013, 10:01 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering if y'all would be interested in meeting at Weeki Wachee, maybe in March?

Mermaid Mako
02-20-2013, 11:27 AM
I can as long as its not the weekend of the 15th.