PDA

View Full Version : Silicon fluke molding questions???

Firemaid
08-16-2012, 03:38 PM
Hello loves.
So I am building a silicon tail.Yay for a dream come true! I'm pretty far along, I've got the scales all done, and a mold of my legs to build on, as well as the extra fins. My next move is to build the fluke. I'm really nervous about it. How do I hide the foot pockets? How do I hide the fin it's self? I'm using a foil. One idea I have is to build my clay mold on top of my mono fin so that the mono fin fits perfectly, but the logistics of that escape me.
Also I any terrified of water pockets and want to avoid that disaster at all cost.
Some people have said I can just sandwich my mono fin inside the silicon, others have said I need to glue it?
Another ramdom idea I have is to drill some holes in my fin so the silicon can fuse to its self?
Any and all ideas are welcome, even just brain stormy ones.
You guys are the best!

Mermaid Lorelei
08-19-2012, 02:13 AM
For keeping out air bubbles, you will definitely need to glue down the monofin to the silicone of the fluke. This is also called sandwiching. :>

Also, I've tried drilling holes and yes, the silicone will fuse through the holes. You will still want to fully glue down the fluke though.

Firemaid
08-19-2012, 02:27 AM
Thanks Lorelei! What glue do you recommend?

Mermaid Lorelei
08-19-2012, 02:29 AM
Personally, I suggest trying different kinds. I'm still new into the business, so I don't want to say that my ways are everyone's. However, check out the adhesive section on smooth-on.com. You'll find some interesting glues on there.

Firemaid
08-19-2012, 02:31 AM
E-600?

Mermaid Lorelei
08-19-2012, 02:33 AM
From my experience, e-6000 doesn't normally work with silicone. You could give it a test swatch try though. I've only actually tried using it once on silicone, so it might have been a user error. XD

Firemaid
08-19-2012, 02:49 AM
Does anyone have a glue recommendation?

NerineArcticMermaid
08-19-2012, 03:23 AM
e6000 does notike silicone.. use brand liquid nails found at home depot and lowes.. do NOT get the kind in large caulk tubes..its different stuff.. get regular glue tube size.. it is a silicone based glue and will adhere to other silicone

Firemaid
08-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Thank you nerine!!