PDA

View Full Version : Help?

Mermaid Azira
08-16-2012, 06:08 PM
My parents won't be convinced that a fishbutt is a good use of money. They keep telling me "you already have a tail, why do you need another one?":doh: I try to tell them I love mermaiding and I want a more realistic tail but its always something like, "You hardly ever use your tail," "You are still growing you don't need a tail that will fit you for three months," or "People will think your weird."

So help please?

Mermaid Celissa
08-16-2012, 06:39 PM
1 - Save up money and give it to your parents, tell them that you can pay for it yourself.
2 - Do things around the house to show them you're not immature or "weird"
3 - Tell them that you're only holding on to your childhood while you still can.
4 - Tell them that as your parents, they should respect your mermaiding and it's something you're proud of.

Mermaid Azira
08-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Thanks! I can get enough money and pay for it.
What can I do to show that I'm not weird?
Although I good idea my parents are always getting mad at me for being to childish, so telling them I'm holding on to my childhood won't work.

Mermaid Celissa
08-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Thanks! I can get enough money and pay for it.
What can I do to show that I'm not weird?
Although I good idea my parents are always getting mad at me for being to childish, so telling them I'm holding on to my childhood won't work.

You can help do chores, extra things around the house, get a small job like babysitting or a newspaper girl, etc. Prove that you're grown up and not immature.

What my mom does, is whenever I ask her, "Do you think I'm weird?" about my mermaiding, she explains that I'm just being young, and at least I'm not one of those girls too caught up in themselves and taking my time growing up. It's a good thing. Try explaining that.

And plus, if they think you act childish, try acting more mature around them, like asking, "Is there anything you need help with that I can do for you?" They may believe you aren't immature and are getting more responsible.

Mermaid Gosalyn
08-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Helping out around the house always helps when it comes to parents. :)

Do you know those girls who act and dress like they're already grown up? You could point them out to your parents and tell them that the way you are is much better than the way they are. Those girls are missing out on their childhood and are likely to get themselves in trouble by pretending they are more grown up than they really are.

Also, there are many adults who make money and earn their living by being mermaids, so maybe you could use that to explain that being a mermaid isn't necessarily a childish thing.

Mermaid Azira
08-16-2012, 09:40 PM
You can help do chores, extra things around the house, get a small job like babysitting or a newspaper girl, etc. Prove that you're grown up and not immature.

What my mom does, is whenever I ask her, "Do you think I'm weird?" about my mermaiding, she explains that I'm just being young, and at least I'm not one of those girls too caught up in themselves and taking my time growing up. It's a good thing. Try explaining that.

And plus, if they think you act childish, try acting more mature around them, like asking, "Is there anything you need help with that I can do for you?" They may believe you aren't immature and are getting more responsible.
I will try this! Thank you so much!

Mermaid Azira
08-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Helping out around the house always helps when it comes to parents. :)

Do you know those girls who act and dress like they're already grown up? You could point them out to your parents and tell them that the way you are is much better than the way they are. Those girls are missing out on their childhood and are likely to get themselves in trouble by pretending they are more grown up than they really are.

Also, there are many adults who make money and earn their living by being mermaids, so maybe you could use that to explain that being a mermaid isn't necessarily a childish thing.

Good point! Thanks!

Nyx
08-16-2012, 09:55 PM
You should totally get your tail if you want to.
HOWEVER
I do have to agree with your parents on the growing part, mainly because it would really be a waste of money if it would only fit you for a few months :<
I understand waiting would be difficult, I really want to start saving money for a pro tail but I want to wait just in case I grow. And I am TERRIBLY impatient.
You're probably going to grow quite a bit more, so I really recommend that you try to wait a bit.
I'm 15 and still growing (not as drastically though XD)
So make sure you keep that in mind.

Mermaid Celissa
08-17-2012, 07:30 AM
You're welcome!!

But unless you never get any taller and people two years younger than you are taller than you like I am, I would have to agree with Nyx on that perspective. You'll grow, and you might want to wait until next year because then you can use it through the whole summer. But you CAN get it if you want to.

Mermaid Narina
08-17-2012, 08:49 AM
I know how you feel!
I havent even told my dad yet how much i love mermaids, though my mum is a bit more observant (shes worried that im obsessed :( )
Whenever my mum says im obsessed with mermaiding, i show her this forum and go "SEE?! SEE?! At least im not the only one!!!!!!!!"
She agrees that its much better that im into swimming with a tail than taking drugs, walking the streets or going to parties (as so many other 15 year olds do)
Point out these things to your parents, its a very convincing factor!

Mermaid Annariea
08-17-2012, 02:13 PM
the only reason i think you should wait is because of how young you are, which means youre still growing. the other reasons are silly, im 19, mature, and am getting a fish butt. mermaiding isnt only for children, adults need to hold onto their childish side, too, otherwise life would be boring.

Mermaid Azira
08-17-2012, 05:56 PM
You should totally get your tail if you want to.
HOWEVER
I do have to agree with your parents on the growing part, mainly because it would really be a waste of money if it would only fit you for a few months :<
I understand waiting would be difficult, I really want to start saving money for a pro tail but I want to wait just in case I grow. And I am TERRIBLY impatient.
You're probably going to grow quite a bit more, so I really recommend that you try to wait a bit.
I'm 15 and still growing (not as drastically though XD)
So make sure you keep that in mind.
Darn my still growing body! The doctor says I have about 3 inches to be my full height, so i could probably just get the tail long....
But my hips have some more growing to do for sure.

Mermaid Azira
08-17-2012, 05:58 PM
You're welcome!!

But unless you never get any taller and people two years younger than you are taller than you like I am, I would have to agree with Nyx on that perspective. You'll grow, and you might want to wait until next year because then you can use it through the whole summer. But you CAN get it if you want to.
Well my mom is 5 feet tall and my dad is 5 foot 5 so... Not exactly a tall family.

Morticia Mermaid
10-26-2012, 05:32 PM
A lot of younger people, specially females, don't seem to understand that they don't actually stop growing until they are 24... Just a bit of a heads up :) You still have 11 years of growth left

Mermaid Melusinah
10-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Lexia is right. Now as far as the maturity factor goes, offer to help with things in the house as the other mers have suggested. You are too young still to get a legit full time job, but have you considered things like babysitting, dog walking, etc and things of that nature? those are good places to start as well.

And remember.... We stop playing because we grow old... but we only grow old if we stop playing. Enjoy being young, always be young. Do what makes you happy.

There is nothing wrong with being "weird" or different. Embrace who you are and swim with it. If you do so with confidence in who you are, others will follow suit. Be proud! You've got tail, flaunt it :p

Winged Mermaid
10-26-2012, 07:26 PM
I have to agree on the growing part as well. There were a few mers on YouTube who spent $750-$1,000 on a realistic Mertailor tail and grew out of them in a few months. If you want a better tail, I'd say either get one where you could add on additional fabric (on the sides) without it being too noticeable, or make or have a tail made were there is additional fabric on the inside that can be let out. Also get it longer in length.

There were a lot of things that I held off in getting becuase they were more expensive and I needed to wait until I was done growing. SO worth it. 6 years later and I am still enjoying most of them! Sadly my Tripp pants didn't make it, but that was more the metabolism change that comes after you hit 20 at work ;)

Mermaid Azira
10-26-2012, 08:02 PM
No problem anymore! Getting a fishbutts! But Thank you everyone!
Now just for the design....

MerEmma
10-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Yeah, growing is a huge issue... :\ I'd like a really nice tail, too, but I'm going to wait until I'm a senior/freshman in college before I invest in one. For now, I'm just going to save up. Good luck, though~