PDA

View Full Version : yeaaaa save the dolphins!

SilverSiren
08-18-2012, 08:56 AM
Don't know if this have been posted yet but it made me smile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekmMD8oYtJ0&feature=player_embedded

Mermaid Celissa
08-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Two words - cowardly cameraman

Mermaid Narina
08-18-2012, 09:33 AM
awww how sweet <3

Mermaid Annariea
08-18-2012, 10:29 AM
im glad they were all saved :D
but does anyome wonder why they beache themselves in the first place? i mean, that was just weird. just all at once, bam. beached dolphins. that worries me :(

Karymermaid
08-18-2012, 12:14 PM
im glad they were all saved :D
but does anyome wonder why they beache themselves in the first place? i mean, that was just weird. just all at once, bam. beached dolphins. that worries me :(

It is great that they saved them! And my first thought was noise pollution :/

Mermaid Annariea
08-18-2012, 12:49 PM
thats a possibility. or maybe the magnetic fields around earth are all out of whack. thats what they follow to migrate and stuff.

Talia
08-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Poor dolphins! For sure they were all scared when they beached and could not move.
I am glad they could be saved :)

Brenda Peterson
08-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks for sharing some of the most moving minutes I've ever witnessed. I've studied dolphins for several decades and written about them in my Sierra Club book, BETWEEN SPECIES (http://www.amazon.com/Between-Species-Celebrating-Dolphin-Human-Bond/dp/1578050707/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1345316839&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=between+species): Celebrating the Dolphin Human Bond and also ANIMAL HEART (http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Heart-ebook/dp/B005LWW17M/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1345316803&sr=1-1&keywords=animal+heart), a novel that is an environmental thriller and deals with military sonar. This very lethal sonar has been documented to disorient dolphins so they surface too quickly and often beach themselves. Watching this video, it looks like they were very disturbed and trying to escape some noise or threat. It's wonderful to see people helping out and rescuing these fellow creatures! For more about how to help protect dolphins from military sonar, check out Natural Resources Defense Council (http://www.nrdc.org/wildlife/marine/sonar.asp)(NRDC)

SilverSiren
08-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Well, I have read some scientific research on why they do it and they have several theories as to why they do it and, yes, one of them is noise pollution. The dolphins at Cape Cod do this often, they think its due to the hook shape of the bay so the dolphins swim in, get confused, then don't know how to get back out. So there are many factors, both natural and human fault, that contribute to them beaching. The point to take away with this is that it's really good to know, that despite all the human fault, there are good people out there that DO care. ;)

Karymermaid
08-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Yes! such a good point. I often feel so discouraged by the way most people are, but I know there are so many who DO care and put their own life at risk when protecting animal, earth, plant, each-other even! So this video is a great example of the instinct to help. I love it!
Thank you for sharing Silver Siren and Brenda, your novels sound interesting!

waves and smiles <3

SilverSiren
08-18-2012, 06:20 PM
It was defiantly uplifting after watch that darn movie The Cove today, I thought I was dieing inside, I recommend it if you have a strong heart to take the horror of it. People suck sometimes but then again there are people who do care, like I said, and they make a difference. Sure, The Cove is horrid to watch, but I kept in mind the GOOD those people were doing and it was uplifting to see them be so brave and bold for the poor dolphins. As a result, the slaughter of those dolphins is going down in numbers each year and many other good things came/are coming as a result of their heroism. I can only HOPE that I can make a difference like that and if the opportunity presents I wouldn't hesitate. At the moment, I support them, donate and try to bring as much awareness as I can.

Karymermaid
08-19-2012, 01:08 AM
ah yes, that was so difficult to watch. What is more disheartening is that these are creatures we are all familiar with. They are beloved around the world and well recognized. All this and still there is so much terrible behavior! Now that makes me think about those other creatures who live in deeper waters, the unseen, the ones so small who are also affected by drilling and trawling, sonar, human pollution etc. I know it's too much to grasp, but I feel every single little creature is important. We are a planet of balance, yet we are so very imbalanced. This is why our voices, our help is needed.
(PS I'm so happy I am here among friends of the sea. This is truly helping me to cope with my thoughts and things going on in my life. Thank you mers!!)

Ashe
08-26-2012, 11:58 PM
I wasn't too happy when i saw those two men grab one by the tail and start dragging it across the sand into the sea. By what i have read and heard, and it may not be true, dolphins hate that. ...But at least they were all safely returned back to their home :) But all types of pollution SUCKS!

Capt Nemo
09-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Looked like they were hunting, and driving a school of fish toward the shoreline. There may be some sort of weird accoustic thing going on at that beach. It's like they didn't even see it until it was too late.