PDA

View Full Version : Mertailor Latex Tail Review

happyguava
08-19-2012, 07:27 AM
Okay, this is a very belated review – I received my tail in February this year, but haven’t reviewed it online until now for several reasons. Here it is at last, using Raina’s “How To Write A Review” tips.

This was an order for a Realistic Latex Tail in Metallic Turquoise from Mertailor LLC. I placed the order in October 2011 and received the tail in February 2012.

I bought this tail to use it in my work as a professional mermaid – childrens’ birthday parties, both wet and dry, visits at a local children’s hospital, charity work, community events, the odd corporate gig etc etc. I considered purchasing a silicone tail but could not justify it financially at the time. I was getting enough work that I needed better than a fabric tail though, so this was the option I went for.

The ordering process happened without incident – I sent a few emails to check I was converting measurements (cm to inches, AU to US shoe sizes etc) properly and asking if custom paint was possible (it wasn’t). Replies always took about a week, and were written in as few words as possible, but my questions were sufficiently answered and so I placed my order. Again, I made sure my inches were measured correctly! I took screenshots of my order form just in case I’d need them.

The only hiccup was when I was told I would get a tracking number, but never received one. This was a little distressing as my tail was travelling from the USA to Australia and I was a little paranoid about it getting lost in the mail! I sent another email requesting the tracking number but again no reply. The tail then arrived.

The product arrived wrapped in plastic in a cardboard box. It had some sort of powder all over it, presumably to stop the tail sticking to itself. The most noticeable thing when I opened the packaging was the overwhelming smell of vinegar. It was unbearable at first. I aired the tail out for a while, but the smell stayed. It remained for months. I’ve heard this could be uncured latex, but I’m not 100% sure what this smell is all about.

(First attempt at putting the tail on, also powder)

(Amazing shiny tail in the sun!)

Vinegar smells aside though, I think the most upsetting thing was when I tried the tail on. My feet would not go into the monofin. It became evident that despite me writing my large-ish, Rapid-monofin-sized feet on my order, a Wave had been put into my tail. More about this later!

The tail itself looked beautiful. I washed the powder off and it positively shone in the sunlight. Beautiful, beautiful shimmering turquoise. The fluke was nicely shaped and the scale texturing was mostly good. There were, though, a few nasty bits where the latex was a bit lumpy and the paint hadn’t covered it properly.

I’ll bullet point the pros and cons that weren’t part of these initial reactions:

- The monofin. This is still the biggest issue with this tail. The Wave monofin is said to fit shoe sizes 1-7. I wrote very clearly on my order that I am a US size 9 ½. Squeezing my feet into this fin is only just possible, and my feet ache the entire time I am wearing this tail. It bruises my feet badly and leaves my big toes numb for days after wearing it. Now, granted, I could just not wear it and save myself this pain, but I am a professional mermaid and this is my only realistic tail – I don’t have much choice!

- The body of the tail itself never fitted properly – it was, as many other people have also experienced, too loose around my waist. It’s also too tall and goes almost up to my shell bra. The looseness means that the tail fills with water when I’m swimming in it, making it very heavy. I think the material could be neoprin, as it has continued to stretch and stretch – in fact I noticed it was even looser after the first gig I wore it for.

(the thing is practically falling off my waist)

- The paint started chipping away almost immediately. Only a little bit at first, but it’s gotten to a point now (only 6 months later) where I can’t hide it. The fluke especially is now turquoise with spolotches of weird light-brown-nude colour all throughout. I’ve had some really good advice from the lovely Winged Mermaid and I’m going to try and patch this up.

- The “feel” of the tail is a plus and has definitely surprised and impressed a few unbelieving children. Texture was something I wanted in this purchase, as I’d been working in fabric tails previously which were kind of destroying the illusion as soon as anyone touched them!

I should point out with the measurement issues of both legs and feet – I definitely didn’t measure wrong. I’ve got screenshots of my order and I checked the conversion to inches and to US shoe size several times. My surname is written in texta on the inside of the tail, so I also know this is definitely the tail that was intended to fit my order.

(Here you can see how it falls down around my waist, also how the tail is too tall for me)

I did send Eric a quick email asking if there was anything I could do about the tiny foot pockets, but received no reply. I did not ask for him to fix it, as shipping the thing to Australia was so expensive in the first place, I couldn’t justify shipping it back and forth.

All in all, I was disappointed with this purchase. Although the tail looks nice on its own, it looks wrong when it’s on me as it’s clearly way too loose and way too tall. I am also in agony every time I swim in it – I never thought I’d see the day when I actually wanted to get out of my tail and out of the pool, but it now happens regularly. I feel that a product that fits my measurements and has the correct sized fin inside is not too much to ask, and although the texure and paint are lovely (despite chipping off), the sizing issues are too big a problem for me.

I will continue to use this tail out of necessity, but I am so excited about a new one I will be purchasing from another tailmaker in the coming months!

Aradia
08-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Awesome work sharing your review HappyGuava.

Since we're in the same pod id like to add, the paint has chipped off so dramatically where there are visible chunks that are impossible to hide because they are on the fluke. I can see no way that buying a Mertailor tail will not involve having to repaint/relatex it at some point with this reaction.

Also, something I noticed about the latex tails... at the time they were being sold for professional work along with the expensive silicone model. Now he states on his website that these are not intended for professional work but I know at the time you put your order in, they were still being offered as such. So, my deduction is that professionals were using these tails and they were not lasting at all. I'm rather frustrated that he changed his listings instead of changing his product.
I feel so bad for you HappyGuava :(

AniaR
08-19-2012, 09:41 AM
he does that a lot- changes the wait time, changes the prices, changes the description... while you're waiting for your tail. It's sad.
I know what it's like to reply to way too many emails at once, and Im sure Eric gets a LOT of junk mail from people who arent going to buy his tails... but he's gotta organize his inbox into folders- have a place for current tails so he can keep up to date with buyers.

As far as the monofin goes- you may need to do what Winged mermaid did and just take the thing out and put the right one in. That being said, if the right one has an actual bigger monofin it wont fit :( the paint coming off was a constant issues with mine- and now it is that way for mermaid mimi. I never figured out any trick to make it stay.

There's no reason why your tail should smell like vinegar. He used to tell people this was the natural smell of the product. Now he tells people he cleans the tails with vinegar before sending them. Why would you clean a brand new dry product? And cleaning with vinegar (as I do constantly in my home) does not leave a smell that lasts months.

Im sorry you had this experience. Im glad you finally shared it *hugs* I hope your next tail is every bit as wonderful as you need and want!!!

Talia
08-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Thank you for the honest review.
I am sorry this has not work out for you HappyGuava :(

Spindrift
08-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Do you think permawet might help the paint stay on?

Winged Mermaid
08-19-2012, 11:56 PM
Sounds like a wreck of a tail indeed. If you want to make your tail functional and comfortable to swim in, you are going to have to do some self modifications. You can take your tail to an actual seamstress to take it in. She will be able to fit you properly. However there will always be somewhat of a gap around your waist, because the neoprin often doesn't have enough stretch to get around the hips and still be small on the waist. A solution to that would be to install (or have installed) a zipper. That problem with that is the zippers that hold up in water are big and bulky and often black, so you'd need something like a side or dorsal fin to cover it. Or putting a elastic belt in the waist. As for it being too long, you can cut the waist down. Just make sure you have a good sharp pair of scissors that can handle it so it will be a clean cut.

As for the foot pockets, you may just have to gut it and replace the monofin. That's what I'm having to do with mine, it was excruciating to put on and swim in before. It ended up just sitting around (as I've not gone pro yet). You could replace yours with a rapid, but you will have to cut it down so it will fit in a fluke that was made for a wave. Here's the size difference:

I'm even taking the time to dremmel down the ridges on the new monofin, and remove all of the excess caulking I can that's inside of the tail (exacto knife and lots of patience..) so I can try and get rid of the ridges in the fabric.

I'll be updating my thread (here (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2296-Moding-Mertailor-tail-to-make-it-swimmable)) as I go along if you're interested in how to do the mods.

I'm just sorry your tail was so poor to begin with :(

Mermaid Star
08-21-2012, 05:33 PM
You may be able to save it. The monofin, the Finis Wave (if that is what it is) does open all the way up if you take it off the last notch and let the strap all the way out to the end. It should have a circle at the end that will stop it from coming out all the way. I wear a size 11 women and I wear a wave in my tails. It may be a little loose but it wont make your toes go numb. It is worth a shot before you gut the tail.

You can always take the tail in with a sewing machine and cut the top down to fit you better. (At least it covers your butt :D ) As for the paint, you can touch it up with createx paint, but don't forget to heat set it! You can mix it in with the Alex plus and do a light coat of it to get the pain to stick. Don't forget to heat set, even if it is in the Alex. Hopefully this will help your tail become more customized to you and look more like you want it

Lyna
08-21-2012, 07:05 PM
i would cut the straps off the fin and trim the waist down (i'm having to cut inches off mine as well.)

happyguava
08-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Thank you all for your excellent advice. I am so terrible at crafty-dressmaking type things (tried to make some fabric tails... they were quite awful!) so I guess I assumed there would be SOMETHING I could do to improve it, but wasn't sure what. I'm definitely going to get some createx paint to touch the fluke up, and probably trim the waist as well. I thought I had the strap let out all the way, but I'll definitely check again because from what you said, Star, I should be able to fit in!

Thanks so much :) Crafty mers, I tip my hat to you.

Sephina
08-26-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm pretty sure I have a wave in my tail, and I have wide size 10 feet. The trick is that he silicones the straps in so if you roll your tail down, and fish around a bit, you can likely find them to let it out. I did with mine.

happyguava
09-10-2012, 11:19 PM
I've now put this review up in video form:

http://youtu.be/GOLpAh2QE_8

:)

AniaR
09-10-2012, 11:32 PM
your voice is so cute. Sorry for the problems with your tail :(