PDA

View Full Version : Large Seashell Sequins for Sequin Tails!!!

MermaidBonnie
08-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Okay, so I love my sequin tail, but now that I'm working on my new one, I really don't want to take another 10 months to sew so many tiny sequins. Gluing them on sounds like an easy fix, but I experimented with this method, and after wear and tear, you can see little cracks from the glue start to surface. Also, I have turned down swimming in aquariums due to the fact that some glues and silicones can endanger fish, and I want a tail that is as chemical free as possible. Cartwright sequins were the only sequin maker I could find that made the seashell sequins in the variety of colors I needed, but they do not make a larger size. I have already written them asking for this, considering I have ordered thousands from them, but they just won't make them. One of my friends showed me a sequin that fell off of Hannah's tail in person, and it would take about 15 cartwright sequins to equal one of hers! That would literally shave off months of sewing! So, I have looked and contacted vendors from all over the world for months to find larger seashell sequins in a variety of beautiful and durable colors, and I have found them! The only drawback is that I have to order pounds and pounds of them. So, I have put in an order for the colors I am using, and of course will have tons of extra to sell at very reasonable prices to share with all of you that want to use them for your own sequin tails, crowns, tops, etc. I will post pix of them as soon as I get them in with the prices. I'm not in this to make a profit, just to cut even, and help out those of you who, if you aren't frustrated with your tiny sequins by now, will be eventually. :)

Spindrift
08-20-2012, 06:31 PM
That sounds really cool. Thanks for the great opportunity! Definitely interested.

I want to point out that my Hong Kong sequin source sells them by the pound, in all sizes and colors. They also have the hologram ones from Cartwright, but the colors don't rub off in the water. I go to the store in person whenever I fly in though, so I haven't experienced with shipping, but their in-person service is great. They got me everything I ordered within the next day, despite a level 10 typhoon raging. So that was awesome.

Nahla
08-22-2012, 02:58 PM
I can not find larger sequins anywhere. I could only find Cartwright ones but they are sooo small. Could either of you tell me where to get larger ones? I also might be interested in buying form you MermaidBonnie.

Ilonka
08-22-2012, 03:00 PM
My sequins are mad tiny and I'm using glue with them to quicken the process, so far so good.

lynsea
08-22-2012, 10:58 PM
I saw the larger ones (20mm) on a bulk items website. Do they sell to people like us instead of companies?

MermaidBonnie
08-24-2012, 03:52 PM
The company I am dealing with will only sell if you buy at least 5kgs. I have searched for about a year now for larger sequins, and this were the only company online that would actually deal with me. (some companies have a minimum of 300 kgs!) The sequins I chose are 47mm. I chose this size based on my direct comparison with a cartwright sequin to a sequin that fell off Hannah's tail. I will make my new tail look different than hers of course, but I figure if the larger sequins work for her, then they will work for me. And less sewing! :) Now my husband is concerned that we will have just over 11 pounds of sequins laying around here, and I told him I should be able to sell some of them to make space. Here is a picture of the white ones I love, that are a higher quality than the cartwright ones. 5639

lynsea
08-24-2012, 05:09 PM
What company is that? I would definitely be interested in either buying some extra from you or directly from them.

Nahla
08-25-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm with Lynsea! Please tell us! Oh and what colors do you have now?

MermaidSarah
08-25-2012, 01:38 PM
This post is going to help me sooo much!Etsy has the tiny seashell sequins but not a wide selection of colors.Usually the same ones.And I would understand the hassle of gluing or sewing those tiny seashell sequins onto a mermaid tail.

Mermaid Arianna
08-26-2012, 09:40 PM
more pictures please!

Mer_Adella
08-29-2012, 09:15 AM
For my sequin tail I ordered the translucent colors that I wanted so I can put them ontop of one another to make a mix of colors (like going from black to dark blue to blue) and I ordered 25mm sequins because there are about an inch in diameter and are easier to work with.

Mermaid Arianna
08-30-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm super interested in buying some, what colors do you have and how are you pricing them? Also I can't wait to see your new tail!

Gem Stone
11-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Are you still selling them? I need enough to cover a whole tail. All different colors. If you're not selling them, what company is it?

MermaidBonnie
11-09-2012, 11:45 AM
7519[ATTACH]

Mermaid Saphira
11-09-2012, 11:51 AM
beautiful! What colors are you offering, that is if you are still offering to sell them? I am considering putting a few on my rainbow tail :D

MermaidBonnie
11-09-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm running low on these, they became so popular. Mermaid Shelly sells these so if you want any, please contact her. One thing I really love about these seashells are their durability. The problem with my older sequins that are more transparent, is that within this year alone, they are all turning yellow. I rinse my tails after every use, and give them vinegar baths, as well as use a very expensive protectant spray from my art store so I was concerned that this was still happening. I'm extra glad that these won't yellow or turn another color. I also like that I don't have to paint or put anything underneath these, because you can't see through them. The crystal shine and matte ones can't be scratched either. I've tested them with a hammer and nails. I can't wait to see your creations everyone! I just finished my niece's tail with these, and now am turning my attention back to my tail to finish before our trip to Australia in December.

AniaR
11-09-2012, 12:06 PM
They look really great. We have a huge crafting forum here where I live too and these are sold there. I'm going to try and find out if they can sell big amounts or not. Great find, and Bonnie your niece's tail was ADORABLE.

I really think it's crazy (in a good way) when people go for sequinned tails. I can't get over the amount of work involved.

MermaidAlaina
11-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Hi all! Ok, so I am completely new to learning the whole tail-making process, but I have been trying to think of ideas that would be easier than sewing thousands of tiny sequins together....
Has anyone ever tried, or thought about trying to purchase a long sequin prom dress, or other article of clothing and just using the fabric that already has the sequins sewn onto it? Perhaps just sewing the already sequined fabric onto the neoprene (sp?) or whatever other material you are using to make the tail. I guess my only concern when thinking of this idea would be the weight of the fabric (for swimming) but then again, thousands of sequins is going to weigh anything down a little bit regardless of what it is sewn on to. Just a thought ;)

Just for example, check out this awesome mermaid style dress... http://www.prommeup.com/p4732217/sean-collection-50452.html

AniaR
11-09-2012, 03:25 PM
most of those fabrics because extremely heavy when wet and don't let the water flow which is the problem. Good idea in theory, but in practicality can be dangerous

Mermaid Saphira
11-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Hi all! Ok, so I am completely new to learning the whole tail-making process, but I have been trying to think of ideas that would be easier than sewing thousands of tiny sequins together....
Has anyone ever tried, or thought about trying to purchase a long sequin prom dress, or other article of clothing and just using the fabric that already has the sequins sewn onto it? Perhaps just sewing the already sequined fabric onto the neoprene (sp?) or whatever other material you are using to make the tail. I guess my only concern when thinking of this idea would be the weight of the fabric (for swimming) but then again, thousands of sequins is going to weigh anything down a little bit regardless of what it is sewn on to. Just a thought ;)

Just for example, check out this awesome mermaid style dress... http://www.prommeup.com/p4732217/sean-collection-50452.html

While that prom dress is incredibly gorgeous, I do not think that the fabric from it would be a good idea to use on a tail. Not only is the fabric heavy, I doubt that it is chlorine safe. Perhaps your idea would be best suited for a dry use tail ;D

MermaidAlaina
11-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Yeah well like I said it was just a thought. I am still learning the whole process ;)

Check out these huge sequins I found....http://www.simplysequins.co.uk/huge-xxxl-100mm-hologram-turquoise-penny-sequins-5103-p.asp

Mermaid Saphira
11-09-2012, 04:14 PM
^ wow! those r super big! They could work lol

idun
11-24-2012, 04:44 PM
That sounds really cool. Thanks for the great opportunity! Definitely interested.

I want to point out that my Hong Kong sequin source sells them by the pound, in all sizes and colors. They also have the hologram ones from Cartwright, but the colors don't rub off in the water. I go to the store in person whenever I fly in though, so I haven't experienced with shipping, but their in-person service is great. They got me everything I ordered within the next day, despite a level 10 typhoon raging. So that was awesome.

could you please tell the name of your hong kong source? :)

starlite
11-25-2012, 02:32 PM
could you please tell the name of your hong kong source? :)

I'm interested too...

devilkitten1
11-26-2012, 01:00 AM
Yeah well like I said it was just a thought. I am still learning the whole process ;)

Check out these huge sequins I found....http://www.simplysequins.co.uk/huge-xxxl-100mm-hologram-turquoise-penny-sequins-5103-p.asp
Oh if they ship to the US it's on!

Winged Mermaid
12-11-2012, 04:01 AM
While spending hours laying awake (freaking jet lag *grumble*) I dreamed up a tail (and one that makes use of the neoprene I have- yay!) now I'm on the hunt for these things :P Though I can't really go into full hunt mode cause I'm on the other coast visiting family and don't have much time at the moment.

BUT I googled and pretty quick found a company that sells them. I wanted to try and find different companies so I reverse image searched the one image from the one company I found. Turns out the same pic was on Shelly's page, and Bonnie uses the same sequins as Shelly. So I'm not sure it's the one, but it's a one at least. The only one I found so far, but I'm not going to go digging like I usually do right now.

They're called Victor Enterprise, and they sell all kinds of sequins. For these, the minimum order is 5kg, or 11 lbs. If the information I'm seeing from Bonnie and Shelly stand true for these guys as well, to get a color you get a pound worth (so most you can order is 11 different colors in one order), or about 400 sequins. According to Shelly it's about 2-3lbs of sequin per tail depending on size. Good news, you CAN sew these babies on with a sewing machine as they're much better quality than normal sequins. They are based out of Mumbai, India. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see them here: http://www.indiamart.com/victor-enterprise/large-sequin-designs.html
They're a manufacturer so you have to contact them to inquire ask about prices and such. But apparently they can cut it out of any color of sheets they have, matte or "sparkling shines" colors.

I think we could manage to organize an order (or a few if we need it) from these guys so people can get these without having to order crap tons.

River Melody
12-11-2012, 06:12 AM
[QUOTE]I think we could manage to organize an order (or a few if we need it) from these guys so people can get these without having to order crap tons./QUOTE]

Yes! What colors would your tail need? I'm going to need some green and black ones in the near future.

Also, I've seen a couple different websites who claim to sell these, but they all use that same picture.

Winged Mermaid
12-11-2012, 04:09 PM
For mine I'm thinking mainly blue, maybe some different shades. If anyone's willing to split lbs of colors so people can get more variety of colors in their tails that would be an option as well!

That pic always lead me back to Victor Enterprises even it it was posted elsewhere. But if anyone has any other findings, please post links! No hurting checking out different places for the best price :) I'll see if I can shoot them an email soon to find out about colors, pricing, and production times. If/when I take orders I'll be sure to put out the call here and on FB and we'll get it sorted through PayPal and such.

When were you thinking you'd like yours by River Melody? It may take some time to get an order together, then they have to actually make them upon request, so it may take a bit.

MermaidBonnie
12-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Hi Iona and River Melody,
Thank goodness Shelly's doing exactly what you are saying we should do to get sequins that we want without the pain of ordering unneeded amounts of them. There's another problem ordering in bulk from abroad I've experienced with these sequins that I will share. I will say that I had a problem ordering from a source from India. Over half of my sequins were damaged. 3 pounds of the super high shine were totally peeling off, while others of that kind were already cracked in half, and that batch I paid extra for :( I will upload pix when I get the chance. Then my matte sequins had some kind of motor oil on them and smelled like gasoline, so of course I couldn't use them either. I'm actually barely being able to cover my own tail after spending about $400 on sequins from abroad. You can't get some businessman in Hong Kong or India to redo your order--I tried. Even if they were to redo the order, guess what I would have to do? Pay $100 more for shipping. I'm never ordering from abroad again. My tail should already be done, and here I am 11 days from my big trip and my tail is unfinished bc of this sequin mess. Personally, I am ordering more from Shelly bc this way I know I will get what I need, not get sequins covered in motor oil or broken, and will still pay less money than ordering from those shady salesmen.

MermaidBonnie
12-30-2012, 09:36 AM
Here is my new sequined tail! I got more sequins from Mermaid Shelly to finish the job-just in time!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151139544570855&set=a.429934750854.230098.703465854&type=1&theater

Mermaid Saphira
12-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Such a lovely tail :D

MermaidBonnie
12-31-2012, 05:15 AM
Thank you! With these sequins you could create a tail within a week. I'm considering ordering more from Shelly and making another one....sigh, this makes my tail addiction a bit easier and more affordable lol. I use a zipper at the bottom so I can move my monofin from tail to tail now cutting out that expense :)

starlite
01-01-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm interested in an order too, i have already received sample from Victor enterprise and test it in the water and the sequins are made of good quality. I will need blue and yellow, any idea of how much it will cost ?
thanks

Winged Mermaid
01-01-2013, 02:42 PM
I'm interested in an order too, i have already received sample from Victor enterprise and test it in the water and the sequins are made of good quality. I will need blue and yellow, any idea of how much it will cost ?
thanks

I have not contacted them yet since I just got home from vacation. Can you post pictures of the samples you got, please? :)

starlite
01-06-2013, 01:46 PM
I have not contacted them yet since I just got home from vacation. Can you post pictures of the samples you got, please? :)

Sure, here's it is.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/6379/img3065w.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84/img3065w.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Mermaid Danielle
01-10-2013, 03:16 AM
Here is my new sequined tail! I got more sequins from Mermaid Shelly to finish the job-just in time!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151139544570855&set=a.429934750854.230098.703465854&type=1&theater

Your tail is incredible!

MermaidSarah
01-12-2013, 05:06 AM
I found another site that sells Hannah Mermaids style of sequins with a bit of a bigger selection of colors
http://www.lovehobbycraft.com/p-27859-plastic-paillette-pendants-shell-white-14x13x0-7mm-hole-0-8mm.html?defaultPid=27859&defaultShow=visible

Hope that helps anyone!I know I got my sequins from Cartwright but I might switch to this site considering the bigger color range in sequins.

Nyxie
01-12-2013, 06:47 AM
does anyone know if you could cut the sequins maybe, lol...i have already spoken to shelly and she only has 47mm shells. i am looking for something around 2/3 of that size, may 30mm...i dont have any sequins on hand to experiment, but anyone who's worked with these, can you tell if the material is pliable enough to be cut?

Winged Mermaid
01-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Sure, here's it is.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/6379/img3065w.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84/img3065w.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Those are beautiful Starlite! Did you get any price quotes from them? I'll be emailing them myself here shortly, so if not I'll tell you what they quote me.

Also, Vector has discovered that mermaids have an interest in these sequins. They've been going around posting on mermaid's FB timelines! Smart folks. This company is apparently where Shelly gets her sequins, as she has a testimonial on their page (http://www.indiamart.com/victor-enterprise/testimonial.html). I admit I was a bit worried by Bonnie's post (but willing to give it a try anyhow if enough people wanted to) about less than quality sequins from certian sellers, but Shell gave a glowing review to these guys :)

Mermaid Harmony
01-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Have no idea about this company, but they just contacted me about their sequins and if I would like them to build my next tail with (you think they know I'm on the fence?!)
http://www.indiamart.com/victor-enterprise/large-sequin-designs.html is their website.:-)

Winged Mermaid
01-21-2013, 11:25 PM
That's the one! I told them that the reason they haven't gotten more orders is becuase of the large minimum order. I'd be nice if they'd let us order fewer, but in the mean time if anyone is interested in making part of a group order, do speak up! I'm waiting on price quotes from them.

Winged Mermaid
01-22-2013, 01:12 AM
Great news guys! Vector Enterprises says that they will reduce their minimum order just for us (link (http://www.facebook.com/MermaidIona/posts/498391106879196?comment_id=5388189&notif_t=share_comment))! They will now take orders of 3kg (6.6 lbs) He also says he can arrange to split the order and send out the sequins to their respective buyers! So that's enough for 2 tails, so two people can go in to an order at a time and have them shipped directly to them :)

devilkitten1
01-22-2013, 05:35 AM
Holy crap! This is awesome! what colors can I get? I need coffee bronze copper. Maybe they have color charts.

lynsea
01-22-2013, 12:22 PM
If anyone else would like to split a sequin purchase, I'd definitely be in!

MerEmma
01-22-2013, 12:32 PM
I might be up for it myself. I'll have to talk to my mum.

AniaR
01-22-2013, 04:06 PM
man, it might be time for me to sequin my fabric tail!

AniaR
01-22-2013, 04:25 PM
I just checked out their FB page,

These people have been posting on mermaid's pages for weeks. I didn't actually look into it at first I thought it was spam. But it's interesting that they found out their sequins were being used on tails so now they're trying to market to all of us. I was kinda weirded out becauses they posted on a photo of my sister "Hey Raina, are you interested in sequins for your tails?" and I was like, uh, no... my tails are silicone thanks and this is random lol? But yeah they've been posting on EVERYONE's pages for weeks now. I've been seeing it passed around.

devilkitten1
01-24-2013, 04:55 AM
Aggressive sales tactics gets the business I guess.

Winged Mermaid
01-29-2013, 04:57 PM
Sorry for the delay, I was at an event flipping my fins!
I got all the ordering information from them and put it up on a separate thread that I created for organizing orders. You can find that thread here: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?4242

Mermaid Hannah Grace
04-18-2013, 01:09 AM
What website did you order the large sea shell sequins from?

Winged Mermaid
04-18-2013, 03:09 AM
If you look at the post above yours, you'll see there's a whole thread on these sequins here: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?4242