PDA

View Full Version : ABC's story on mermaiding.

Blondie
08-21-2012, 02:48 PM
ABC had written a story on mermaiding in Vancouver! I love how skeptical the news reporter and her daughter are on mermaiding until they actually put the tail on and try it out. I thought it was a pretty cute story and didn't bash the mermading community.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/correspondents-notebook-under-sea-mermaid-141940306--abc-news-parenting.html;_ylt=Ako4zrZ62pxVAm4TCbegiR6pn.R_;_ ylu=X3oDMTQ5YTZoazY0BG1pdANFZGl0b3JzIFBpY2tzIFNtYW xsBHBrZwM0MmM0NzZmZC02MmEzLTMxNmUtODk3Zi1mNjQxYzA0 NjA0YmMEcG9zAzIEc2VjA01lZGlhRmVhdHVyZWRDYXJvdXNlbA R2ZXIDZjQ0MGE0MzMtZWI5Zi0xMWUxLWJlYmYtZjBmMmExNTBi ZmY5;_ylg=X3oDMTJwZm41djc3BGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11 cwRwc3RhaWQDMmEyOWM3Y2QtNDc1YS0zNjdkLTkzMGQtYzQ5MT Q0Nzg1ZGRlBHBzdGNhdANoZWFsdGgEcHQDc3RvcnlwYWdl;_yl v=3

Winged Mermaid
08-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Finally, a POSITIVE news story! And the biggest one! Woot!

Here's the YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6NE3sYBOH8

lasserine
08-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Nice to see a positive news story.

Blondie
08-21-2012, 05:30 PM
I have to say I might start watching ABC for my news just because it wasn't a story bashing a hobby.

LittleTreasure
08-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Wow, I'm surprised to see this. I don't know if I've ever seen a local news story about this that didn't make it look weird or bad. Nice find.

Nyx
08-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Aww that was cute.
and refreshing to see a story that includes the professional and hobby part instead of calling it a fad.

Raayvhen
08-22-2012, 01:08 PM
And look! Most of the comments are positive!

Ashe
08-24-2012, 10:41 PM
I might just be blind, but how did this mom on etsy make mermaiding such a popular news story? It seems like all the mer-related stuff on TV seems to revolve around her and her tails. There were many more tail makers before her, right???

Aquatarian
08-24-2012, 11:10 PM
I might just be blind, but how did this mom on etsy make mermaiding such a popular news story? It seems like all the mer-related stuff on TV seems to revolve around her and her tails. There were many more tail makers before her, right???

I agree. I've seen the same story on multiple websites but they all circle around only her business. You would think people would do a little more research and find other tailmakers. That's kind of suspicious to me. :/

Not trying to sound accusatory or anything but you are totally right. It's weird she is being the only business featured.

Ashe
08-24-2012, 11:20 PM
hmmm, yeah. I tried to do a little research but nothing came up. You are right, Aquatarian, something fishy's going on here Lol!

Mermaid Crystal
09-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Maybe it is the only business in the area?

Ophelia
09-03-2012, 02:06 PM
I don't think its any kind of "fishy business." I absolutely love this sort of thing but had no idea it existed until the past year or so and had only discovered actual tail sellers in the past few weeks, and it is absolutely 100% unheard of where I live. While it might seem odd to you guys that she's the only one being featured, its probably just innocent ignorance. I frequent the synthetic dread community and this sort of thing happens all the time with synth dreads.. people having never seen them before and stumbling upon a seller and thinking they're the only one or the ones who invented it, when in reality there are thousands of us and some are much better than others. Not that its particularly fair, but what can you do?