PDA

View Full Version : Stonestackers runing natrual beauty

Capt Nemo
08-22-2012, 01:59 PM
I am getting sick and tired of the stone stacking craze. The viral videos were cool, but the artist that made the videos put the stones back where he found them. Everyone else is leaving heaps of stone scattered everywhere, marring the natural beauty of the landscape. This has marred one of my favorite shooting locations, and has even gone so far as damaging a shipwreck after a stack was built on one in shallow water.

If you stack them...take your pictures...THEN PUT THEM BACK WHERE YOU FOUND THEM!!!

Here's some photos. The rock shelf used to be swept clean of rocks and now is littered with stones. The arch is 4' tall and most of the rocks are 50-100 lbs each.

Mermaid Annariea
08-23-2012, 11:20 AM
well, the arch is kind of cool, but the rest of the piles just look rather ridiculous. i can see how it would make the area look much less natural, i wonder why people are so interested in stone stacking?

Capt Nemo
08-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Look up stone balancing or stone stacking on Youtube. It's turned into a craze with the college/new age crowd.

My rant is kinda the Boy Scout in me, as good scouts try to leave a site better than they found it.

Merman_Shawn
08-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Stone stacking is an old Cherokee tradition. Stacks of stones were used to identify places with "bad water". It was a warning not to drink the water or you would become sick.

However, I'm sure this isn't what is going on with this "fad".