PDA

View Full Version : Spray Silicone + Neoprene???

Ashe
08-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Hey everyone! So, a few days ago i was pondering different ways to make a silicone tail with a neoprene base. Suddenly, an idea popped into my head... what if i made the base of the tail neoprene, (meaning i basically make a neoprene tail with out decorations and stuff), paint the neoprene and the take some of Smooth On's spray silicone and spray over with that?? The reason I am hoping to make this work is because I have no patience (or money for that matter) to make molds and have to work with all that fancy stuff. Since I'm wanting the paint to be underneath the silicone I will need to use clear silicone, but i have heard the clear silicone may turn brown if it is not pigmented... so how will i cope with that? Has anyone ever tried this method? Will the silicone stick to the paint/neoprene? If this doesnt work, does anyone have any other ideas that roll along the lines of my no-mold rule?
Thank you for reading and any feedback is appreciated :)

-Kalani

Mermaid Annariea
08-23-2012, 09:54 PM
hmm, i dont have any answers, but it sounds like a good idea. hopefully silicone doesnt turn brown, but im not sure.
hopefully someone else will see this thread, i figured id comment to see if anyone else will find it easier (:
GOOD LUCK :D

Ashe
08-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Thank's Mermaid Brianna! I really hope it will work out too!

Ashe
09-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Helooooo? Anyone wanting to help??? LOL:p

Shivice
09-18-2012, 07:53 PM
silicone wont stick to anything but silicone. if you are wanting to do a silicone tail, with neoprene under it, I would go buy fishnet stockings. if you sew one leg onto the neoprene, the silicone will not only stick to itself, but be connected to the neoprene due to the stocking.

MermaidRaegan
09-24-2012, 11:13 PM
You could use silicone caulk with the Alex Plus method. That's what Shelly used to do. You could also use spray silicone to seal it up.

The problem with silicone turning brown is aging, from what I hear. Over time, and lots of sun exposer, the silicone will turn brownish or yellowish with age.

Winged Mermaid
09-25-2012, 02:14 AM
Check out this thread (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?3161-Dragon-Skin-on-Neoprene&p=40281&viewfull=1#post40281), found in the tailmaking reference thread (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2633-%E2%98%86%E2%9A%A0TAILMAKING-REFERENCE-INDEX%E2%9A%A0%E2%98%86-Look-here-BEFORE-you-post-any-questions!). I would say using the method talked about there will be your best bet rather than the spray on stuff.

Ashe
11-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Thank you guys!