PDA

View Full Version : Coming Soon: Color-Changing Tails?

Merman Dan
08-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Is it sad that I saw this article (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19286259) and immediately thought of merfolk tails that could change color in the manner of a squid's chromatophores? ;)

http://dvice.com/assets_c/2012/08/camobott9870agga9072-thumb-550xauto-98517.jpg

SilverSiren
08-24-2012, 10:03 AM
That would be possible actually to an extent. It wouldn't be a willing change, like octopi or chameleons, but a color change due to temperature. I would be willing to give it a go for someone on a silicon tail with the knowledge that it would be experimental and may or may not work... but I truly think it would.

MermaidIvy
08-24-2012, 10:06 AM
That sounds amazing!

SilverSiren, You should really try that! I hope it works! :)

SilverSiren
08-24-2012, 10:09 AM
I think it could be very cool if it works. If anyone is interested I would be willing to do small experiments with it and post my findings :)

MermaidIvy
08-24-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm VERY interested! How much do you think a tail like that would be sold for?

SilverSiren
08-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Ok, yeah, I'm 99% positive it would work. Change from one color to another and from color to white or white to color, all heat dependent. This could be quite magical on a tail, as certain parts of a tail would be thicker or farther from heat or outside temp influence would com into play, making the tail change not all over but blending from one color to the next depending on those factors! So, yeah, if anyone has any serious inquires, I would be happy to experiment and work towards making a tail for them that would do this.

SilverSiren
08-24-2012, 10:27 AM
I'm VERY interested! How much do you think a tail like that would be sold for?

I would of course use only dragon skin, like Raven, and would be willing to sell the first one for $2000 as a special price since the first person who wanted it would be essentially funding this project. I think a discount for them would be the least I can do as a thank you for giving me the experience and funding! I feel like a scientist going about this. lol I could see me being like Frankenstein when it comes out right and changes color "It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE!" lol

Mermaid Annariea
08-24-2012, 11:33 AM
silversiren, i didnt know you made tails! do you have an album of them or anything?
& itd be awesome if that worked!!!

SilverSiren
08-24-2012, 11:48 AM
I was planing on releasing my mer based business to the public at the beginning of next summer, so no I don't. I'm really shy and very picky so I want a good location to take pictures and that wont be until next year when I have a vacation planed for a lovely beach. So for now, no pictures. I may however have pictures of other stuff to show soon that wont be mer related, but should give a good example of my perfectionist driven work :$ For now, I think I will go ahead an do a small scale experiment and post my results online :D

Mermaid Annariea
08-24-2012, 12:03 PM
haha, i can understand that feeling. im a bit of a perfectionist too.
and i cant wait to see your findings.

Mermaid Crystal
08-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Maybe for fabric tail you can use UV sensitive beads and sow them on!

Ashe
08-24-2012, 12:29 PM
I love it!!! this kinda goes along with the color changing aspect- i have a clear nailpolish that turns red in the sun, so i was thinking about painting little fish rays and/or patches of scales on a fabric tail of mine. But i really do hope that dragonskin tail works out. I would love to have one!

Ayla of Duluth
08-24-2012, 01:21 PM
I love it!!! this kinda goes along with the color changing aspect- i have a clear nailpolish that turns red in the sun, so i was thinking about painting little fish rays and/or patches of scales on a fabric tail of mine. But i really do hope that dragonskin tail works out. I would love to have one!
Where...where do you find clear nail polish that turns red in the sun?! I must have this!

Ashe
08-24-2012, 01:25 PM
idk... lol! my dad got it for me cause he was shooting a commercial for it i think. it is from a company called Sol, and they make color changing sunglasses and clips and bags. I hope you find what you are looking for!

Ashe
08-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Oops, it's Del Sol! Look up Del Sol color changing nail polish. They have so many different colors:D

SilverSiren
08-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Walgreens Pharmacy, I've seen them there a few times.

Ilonka
08-30-2012, 03:28 PM
They do make plastic and rubber toys that chenge colors with temperature, all you need to do is research the chemical that is used for it and see if it can be bought. I used to have a mermaid Barbie that would change color in hot and cold water.

Lyna
09-05-2012, 05:03 PM
i wants.

Mermaid Saphira
11-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Color changing tails would be SO mermazing!!!!!!! Kind of like the toys that you dip in the water and their hair/makeup/tails(?)/etc changes colors :D

Mia Merode
11-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Oh amazing - colour changing tails sounds fabulous! I used to have a Mermaid Barbie that had a colour-changing tail :D
xx

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
11-10-2012, 10:32 AM
I would consider a color changing tail as well (though I currently don't have the funds... still saving up).

Del Sol is a cool company... I got my keychain... a clear plastic seahorse that turns blue/purple in the sun... from them. I should point out that their products work with solar radiation, not heat, though, so you would get one dramatic change when you first came outside in the tail, but it would remain the transformed color until you actually got out of the sun, rather than gradually changing with the temperature.

Although now that I think of it, that's another idea: Mood Tails! :)