PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof glue? Help!

theoceanblue
08-24-2012, 12:56 PM
So I am debating selling my "Scale Tails" on Etsy.

I want to use the same monofin design that I have in my current "Scale Tail." If you havn't seen my past post about adding to my finis wave monofin, here is a picture.

I used (Lots of) duct tape and an old binder.

It holds up well for me but not it's not "selling worthy."
I was debating using polycarbonate instead of the binder. It has to be proffesional so :no-no: duct tape:(

I was wondering if anyone has come across any glue that would work for bonding and holding the polycarbonate to the monofin. Also, what is a good tool for cutting polycarbonate? Everything is possible with God, and I have God (silent "check") so I am determind to figure this out!

Thanks!

Mermaid Annariea
08-24-2012, 02:36 PM
im not sure what you should use for cutting the polycarbonate, but ive heard a lot of people say stuff about e6000 (i think thats what its called) being a good waterproof glue.

theoceanblue
08-24-2012, 02:42 PM
THANK YOU! I looked it up and will try it out sometime! Thanks again!

Raayvhen
08-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Yep E6000 epoxy is the way you want to go.

theoceanblue
08-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks! I knew there was something out there, I just didn't know what!

Ashe
08-25-2012, 01:11 AM
i agree, E-600/E-6000 is by far my favorite glue. Holds up forever, nice and stiff, and completely waterproof. I used it on 3 of my neoprene tails and completely satisfied!
BTW, i love that way of taping/glueing on extensions to the monofin! May i use that for some of my personal tails? Been looking for a solution to all the floppiness in the water!

NerineArcticMermaid
08-25-2012, 01:46 AM
E6000 ive noticed may not adhere to the monofin....try drilling holes through both materials and glueingthrough both...

Jadestone
08-25-2012, 02:19 AM
Just a thought, but E6000 might stick better to monofins if the area to be glued was first sanded. This applies to most materials, actually--glue will stick much better if it has something to grip! Rough up anything smooth you're trying to glue for longer stick.

theoceanblue
08-25-2012, 12:33 PM
i agree, E-600/E-6000 is by far my favorite glue. Holds up forever, nice and stiff, and completely waterproof. I used it on 3 of my neoprene tails and completely satisfied!
BTW, i love that way of taping/glueing on extensions to the monofin! May i use that for some of my personal tails? Been looking for a solution to all the floppiness in the water!

Go ahead!!! I hate the floppiness...

theoceanblue
08-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Just a thought, but E6000 might stick better to monofins if the area to be glued was first sanded. This applies to most materials, actually--glue will stick much better if it has something to grip! Rough up anything smooth you're trying to glue for longer stick.

That's really helpful! I will deFINently do that!

NerineArcticMermaid
08-25-2012, 12:55 PM
I tried the sanding idea.. didnt seem to help.. is what the fin is made of.... does not play well with others

Jadestone
08-25-2012, 01:46 PM
How well does the duct tape hold up in the water, actually? I've been considering using some myself to reinforce some areas of my fluke...