PDA

View Full Version : Kanti's merman fashion designs

malinghi
08-24-2012, 03:09 PM
This is a thread to continue discussing Kanti's designs for merman fashion accessories, which were originally posted as part of the August MerNetwork Challenge: Merman Fashion Design (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2537-AUGUST-MERNETWORK-CHALLENGE-MERMAN-FASHION-DESIGN/page5). When I made that challenge I was really hoping that we could start to come up with ideas for merman fashion accessories, and I don't want people to stop thinking about that just because the challenge is over. We can keep thinking of ideas, and I'd love to see this stuff made! Below is a copy of Kanti's post in the original thread.

http://mernetwork.com/index/attachment.php?attachmentid=5091&d=1344375729

Shark Armor
Essentially the marine equivalent to terrestrial light-armor, shark armor is a thinner, more lightweight apparel that is used to maintain speed and agility rather than to provide brute force or fortified defenses. Shark armor is most commonly used by open-ocean dwelling merfolk not only for the fact that light armor is essential to their high-speed lifestyle, but also for the reason that sharks are more than plentiful in the open seas. While sharks may not be the best candidate for having hard or bony body parts, their hide is thick and durable enough to be tanned into very efficient leather. Shark fins are also a great feature for light armor since they are relatively thick and difficult to pierce while still being thin and light. The hardest part of the shark, the jaws, are used for armor as well, but are more prized as use for weapons rather than apparel.
Features:
Shark-fin arm bracer - a long, layered bracer that runs from the top of the shoulder down the arm to just above the wrist. These arm bracers are made by making several layers of "plates" that consist of two shark fins sewn together at the upper length of the fin. The individual plates allow a sturdy armor that is also flexible. Usually used to defend from shark bites, marlin beaks, and even other mers, this bracer can be held up to an attacker and function as a shield. (left arm)
Shark jaw shoulders - a simple shoulder covering made from a single shark jaw. The jaw is first detatched and fastened over the shoulder with the teeth pointing outward. A simple yet effective piece when it comes to detering melee attacks or inflicting cuts and gashes to anything that gets too close. (right shoulder)
Small leather bracer - a simple bracer worn around the wrist to prevent injuries from smaller threats or even self-inflicted bowstring wounds. Made from shark leather (right arm)
Shark tail armor - a more advanced form of armor, this piece mimics the plate movement of the shoulder bracer but applies it to a much larger surface area in using shark caudal fins rather than their dorsal, pelvic, anal, or pectoral fins. This piece is usually used to protect the tail of the merman. It is usually applied to the base of the tail to protect from any serious inflictions to areas with vital organs that the shoulder bracer cannot defend against, and to the very end of the tail, right above the fluke, perhaps the thinnest part of the tail.
Shark jaw crossbow - a crossbow fashioned from the jaw of a shark, this weapon is fairly effective at medium distances. The shark's jawbone provides an amazing curve and the crossbow is actually stung AGAINST the curve. This makes the firing strength of the weapon MUCH higher and allows it to be more compact. Due to the fact this crossbow must be shot underwater and is already hindered, the curve provides an excellent boost in strength, giving it a fiting weight of around 200lbs. The large weight of the crossbow means it is difficult to load, so the crossbow is usually only used as a last resort when incapacitating an escaping prey item that may be able to outrun the mer or for extreme cases of self-denfense,

Armor Variations

http://mernetwork.com/index/attachment.php?attachmentid=5215&d=1344722897

Shark armor can be adorned by both males and females.

1. Sharkfin Arm Bracer
2. "Butterfly" fin brassiere
3. Shark tail armor
4. Fin Chestplate
5. Shark Jaw Shoulder plate
6. Shark Leather Arm brace
7. Fin Cincher

I don't know how practical this is, but I sure like how it looks xD
If I had to create a method to make it, it probably couldn't be made from actual shark parts, aside from
the jaws, of course. The crossbow would have to be made from wood that could be CARVED into the shape
of the jaw, but that would probably take a very skilled bowcarver or a LOT of patience. I suppose it is
possible to do, though. To fire a decent crossbow underwater, 150lbs is usually suggested, so it would have
to be some crazy wood, too.

The "shark fins" used for the outfit would have to be made from synthetic materials, and why not? It's better
than killing sharks xD I'd choose a hard yet flexible rubber, like what swim fins are made from. Hard to mimic
the cartilage but soft to make it able to pierce through to apply the fake stitching. In reality, it would probably
have to be glued with industrial glue of some sort.
Each shark fin piece is held onto the body using straps that could be glued directly to the fins or slits could be
made to tie them into place, either way.

AniaR
08-24-2012, 03:40 PM
so cool

Mermaid Dottie
08-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Go Kanti!

Kanti
08-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone
I'd like to see this stuff made too. Maybe one day... Lol

Ashe
08-24-2012, 09:36 PM
That is so awesome! Such good artwork for even small sketches!

Mermaid Narina
08-27-2012, 06:17 AM
Essentially the marine equivalent to terrestrial light-armor, shark armor is a thinner, more lightweight apparel that is used to maintain speed and agility rather than to provide brute force or fortified defenses. Shark armor is most commonly used by open-ocean dwelling merfolk not only for the fact that light armor is essential to their high-speed lifestyle, but also for the reason that sharks are more than plentiful in the open seas. While sharks may not be the best candidate for having hard or bony body parts, their hide is thick and durable enough to be tanned into very efficient leather. Shark fins are also a great feature for light armor since they are relatively thick and difficult to pierce while still being thin and light. The hardest part of the shark, the jaws, are used for armor as well, but are more prized as use for weapons rather than apparel.

You have put alot of research into it! Either that, or you're really smart about sharks! Your designs are so creative:hail:

jukumerboii
09-21-2012, 04:29 AM
congrats kanti!!!!!!!!

MermaidIvy
09-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Whoo! Go Kanti! (:

AnnaAbyss
11-17-2012, 07:59 PM
It's like cosplay on a different level! But way more awesome! :D

Stefani
01-26-2013, 08:01 AM
Creative. I Like:)

Harley4press
04-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Wow! that's just so cool on so many levels! Love the little face under the arrow too :P lolz!