PDA

View Full Version : A very beautiful videogame!

Kanti
08-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Hey guys I recently played a game for the PS3 called "Journey". Well, my sister was
the one who got me into it. Anyway, it seemed like the type of game that a lot of people
on this forum might like a lot. I completely recommend it~

It's full of symbolism and there's really no concrete story so it's up for interpretation.
The graphics are beautiful and the gameplay is very fun~
The ending is also touching as well, it's a real tear jerker.

The soundtrack is amazing too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjLAhYnf4CY

Ayla of Duluth
08-25-2012, 07:19 PM
i watched an LP online of this game. Pretty, but personally I prefer Flower. Same concept I guess. :)

Kanti
08-25-2012, 07:26 PM
I just watched a video of Flower, I had never heard of it before but it looks pretty cool.
I think since this one has characters and isn't wind blowing it may have a few more story-telling
elements but I can't say for sure since I've never played Flower xD

Jadestone
08-25-2012, 07:28 PM
OH, I've watched this being played! It's really beautiful, I agree. The artwork is amazing.

Ayla of Duluth
08-25-2012, 08:43 PM
i can't even follow the story. a dude is running through sand, singing to flag thingies, at some point you get a second player, there's a scary demon, thing, then you climb to the top of a huge snowy hill. wat

Jadestone
08-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Well, I haven't played it (only watched) and part of the point is finding out what's going on as you play... I'll put more details below in white text (highlight to read if you don't mind light spoilers--nothing plot-wise, just game wise. I normally wouldn't even bother but I know people who really preferred that they played the game knowing nothing about it beforehand)

You start out in a desert and are heading towards a mountain. You figure out things along the way, and with the help of the scarf your character wears, you can fly for short distances rather than walk/jump by activating the scarf by walking past other pieces of material. Singing also can affect other pieces of material, and through them, the wind within the game. As the game goes, you collect more shreds to add to your scarf, so it lengthens as the game progresses. There's also the option to connect to a second player within each level, although you can't directly communicate with them.

But it really is absolutely gorgeous. The video above doesn't do it justice, it has some really magical scenes.

AniaR
08-25-2012, 11:11 PM
that is really interesting. Thanks for sharing Kanti!

Ashe
08-25-2012, 11:15 PM
i am a bit of a gamer (minecraft, halo, call of duty) myself. i can totally see myself playing this! Sadly... I dont have a PS3. Flower looked very good too!

Merman Dan
08-25-2012, 11:17 PM
If you want a wonderful undersea game with a mesmerizing soundtrack, I would recommend Aquaria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyZJo7RpCwo

Ashe
08-25-2012, 11:24 PM
That looks amazing, Aeolius! at one part the music made me tear up!

SilverSiren
08-26-2012, 02:02 AM
I've played Journey, it's just AMAZING! If anyone does try it, play through once on your own, then get online and play WITH someone. You get someone to play with at random and you CAN NOT communicate traditionally, only with clicks and whale like song and limited gesture, you go on this Journey with this complete stranger and by the end your so emotionally attached to them. The emotional pull of the game is astounding, I can't really describe it, it's more of an experience than a game and the experience is magical!

Kanti
08-26-2012, 02:45 AM
i can't even follow the story. a dude is running through sand, singing to flag thingies, at some point you get a second player, there's a scary demon, thing, then you climb to the top of a huge snowy hill. wat

Really!? It was amazing! Everything had purpose! You're seriously
oversimplifying it ):
It's just so far from cut and dry, it's about a journey, about life itself.
The youtube video's top comment explains it perfectly

"It's about life. Nothing more, nothing less. The early, wondrous, playful first
steps, the confusion and darkness of adolescence, the cruel, unfair setbacks
of middle age, and the struggle as we amble towards the end of life. It's about
the transience of human companionship, and the futility of human communication,
and at the same time about the priceless value of those bonds in an incomprehensible
world. It's about wordless beauty, the sublime, and the horrifying awe of existence on
earth. Art."

I loved Journey, it actually had meaning and symbolism behind their designs and plot
unlike all these games nowadays that have no real purpose or good story, games that
are shiny and simplistic that bring the person playing instant and easy gratification.
I find people have completely lost their sense of what's a good game and what's not.
Games like DeadSpace are praised because they have simple stories and cut right to
the action, but games like Silent Hill, which are a lot less instant gratification because they
actually take the time to set atmosphere and create an actual personal experience aren't
even given a chance.
Journey was an amazing game, it not only showed me that you can interact and cooperate
with a complete stranger without even saying a word to them.

Sorry, what a rant, I just thought your evaluation wasn't fair~

Kanti
08-26-2012, 02:48 AM
@Silver - it really is something else. I loved the co-op. It was brilliantly designed.

And for those of you who don't have PS3's you could always watch a playthrough online if you're
interested. The game doesn't really need explaining and it's actually fun to watch. Not to mention
the entire game is only about an hour long anyway.

SilverSiren
08-26-2012, 02:51 AM
I agree, the game isn't just another video game. As an artist, I can feel the passion that was put into this, this is someones ART. Living, breathing, art. It was a privilege to play in what was a wonderland of passion and meaning.

mermankar
07-26-2023, 05:56 AM
Hello. I like to play monster shark game (https://www.hahagames.com/tags/shark) . Monster Shark game stands as a thrilling and captivating gaming experience that lets you embody a monstrous shark in an aquatic adventure like no other. With stunning visuals, engaging gameplay, the ability to customize and upgrade your shark, and the joy of multiplayer competition, this game keeps players hooked for hours on end. If you love the idea of being the ultimate predator of the deep sea, then Monster Shark is undoubtedly the cool game for you to enjoy! Happy gaming!