PDA

View Full Version : Shaving

Sea Specter
08-25-2012, 09:48 PM
SHAVING! Everyone hates doing it, but loves how it looks.
I have pale skin and darkish brown hair, so when It comes to shaving it's a must
The only thing is the annoying '5 o' clock stubble'
I tried Veet once, but it made my skin break out for an hour or so after, even if the hair was gone for longer
What do you use?
Any suggestions?

Mermaid Celissa
08-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Like, facial shaving or leg shaving?

Sea Specter
08-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Like armpits and legs O:

Mermaid Celissa
08-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Well, shave in the shower of bath if you don't already, it's easier. I use a razor that doesn't need soap, but I use it anyway. Use LOTS of soap, the more you use, the less it'll cut or break out. Don't push the razor too hard. Afterwards, use some smooth lotion, let it sink in. That's what I do. ^_^

AniaR
08-25-2012, 10:24 PM
I switched to an electric shaver, it took me a while to get used to... but it's better for the environment than disposable, and you dont need to use copious amounts of mostly chemical loaded shaving cream. The thing is- women's electric shavers SUCK. They are, in my experience, NEVER good enough. So I got a generic phillips for men. It's awesome. Like I said, for ladies it can take a bit to get used to, but it's sooo much easier on my skin. One time it wasnt charged, so I used a disposable one and my legs broke out in hives! They'd never done that before, but I think having gone so long without them my skin was all, nooo!

Ayla of Duluth
08-25-2012, 10:36 PM
wax. wax makes everything better. i used to use a venus razor. works pretty well.

Sea Specter
08-25-2012, 10:38 PM
You can still use soap and stuff with electric shavers, right? I haven't ever used one

Bellasea
08-25-2012, 10:42 PM
I have the same problem! Super dark hair and lighter skin. If I shave during the morning shower then by noon you can see every single hair. I once didn't have any $$ and I had about given up on shaving so I used tweezers to pluck all the hair on my leg from ankle to above my knee. My only problem was that it was time consuming, (took a whole day of watching a Criminal Minds marathon)other than that it was great I ddin't see any hair for alost two-weeks. So, I would recomend waxing, just b/c plucking takes way too long. I have never waxed before, so I can't say how it is. I also just stopped shaving my legs. 1) not worth it if it will only look good for like 5 hours 2) I don't care how it looks. 3) my legs get really dry when I shave and I don't like the feeling of lotion.

Moonflower
08-26-2012, 02:29 AM
Waxing is painful the first time, but you get used to it pretty easily. Like, it's one of those things that the build up expectation of pain is WAY worse than the actual wax. And, when it does hurt it's more an "OW!" than an "OW OW OW OW OWWWWWWWWWWWW OH GOD WHY DOES IT HURT!", if that makes any sense LOL. Just don't wax your toes or feet, they are packed with nerves and it hurts SO badly!

SilverSiren
08-26-2012, 02:55 AM
You can still use soap and stuff with electric shavers, right? I haven't ever used one

They make ones that can get wet, so if you have a wet/dry electric, then yeah I don't see why not? As for the Veet, have you try the one for sensitive skin? I have that one and can use it without any problems in... more...*ahem*... delicate... areas.

roamingmer
08-26-2012, 04:21 AM
Laser treatment for legs can be costly (especially in Switzerland) but after two sessions (feet to knee) thee is now hardly any dark hair growth, and what does come is easily removed with razor. Compared to upper legs which grow back within a week it is certainly a lot easier. When i was in south west states last summer I heard lots of adverts on radio: but take caution. Search out recommended places And not justthe cheapest. You need someone who knows what they are doing and can advise you well. Laser tint must be matched to you skin colour. It will only zap the dark hairs; the soft downy pale hairs will remain (which is fine). Thicker lighter hairs will remain (so back to shaving). It will take at least 3 sessions to be comfortable with result (and that adds up). The skin should not have tanning for one month before treatment. Don't use epilation cream for at least one month before treatment. And despite what they mIght advertise, some hair will grow back eventually.View this as a long term investment. Ask yourself whether in 10 years you still will be happy having no hair? Will your partner? Your legs will be cold throughout the winter. You might think this is the next best thing but really talk it through with others - not just your peer group /friends who might push you into something you later regret.

Winged Mermaid
08-26-2012, 07:06 AM
I shave with a venus razor and body/bath oil. My skin can't handle anything else- it freaks out :/ Veet actually made my hair follicles bleed (and me freak the heck out!) and hurt so much for days! Needless to say, NEVER did that again! Waxing didn't hurt at the time, but hurt for a week or more after, even beyond the time when my hair started growing back. After shaving with the body oil, instead of lotion, I put grape seed oil on my legs. You can also use coconut oil. Both of those are very good for the skin, and very hydrating! Shaving cream or soap, and lotion after ("typical" means) made it shaving a painful experience for me for a week or more ofter. The oil approach is highly recommended to those with super sensitive skin. I'm looking into an electric shaver like Raina suggested though, to be easier on my skin and the environment :)

Kanti
08-26-2012, 11:02 AM
They say you get less bumps and irritation if you don't go against the grain when you shave your legs.
So instead of shaving straight up towards your thighs, you could always shave sideways instead.
I've tried it out and it works pretty well, I just use a razor. I used to use Veet and it worked good, but it
was just so gross smelling so I was reluctant to use it. Not to mention you have to wait a few minutes
before you can shave it off so it's not good for people in a hurry.

Also, shaving cream isn't that special, whenever I don't have any (which is a surprising amount of time)
I just use shower gel or regular soap. Both work fine.

Sea Specter
08-26-2012, 11:13 AM
They make ones that can get wet, so if you have a wet/dry electric, then yeah I don't see why not? As for the Veet, have you try the one for sensitive skin? I have that one and can use it without any problems in... more...*ahem*... delicate... areas.
I'm not sure, since it's been quite awhile sinc eI've used it xD Definately trying that out though
Winged Mermaid: I've got tons of coconut oil! I haven't even thought about that - trying that one out
Has anyone gotten their armpits waxed?

SilverSiren
08-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Ooooh, yeah, love me the coconut oil, I second that one. I also LOVE, neutrogena sesame seed oil. I used to get ingrown hair a lot until I started using that or coconut oil if I run out. Don't recommend oils for face skin though, unless you don't break out very easily, or have some seriously dry skin.

Waxing armpits?.... I think that may hurt a whole heck of a lot. Plus, you kinda feel slightly tender for a little bit in waxed areas, I can imagine walking around with my arms out the rest of the day. Plus, deodorant will probably irritate it for a couple days and sweat may sting... I dunno. I guess armpits are just so quick and easy that I never think of doing them any other way than shaving.

Raayvhen
08-26-2012, 12:35 PM
So I got this awesome razor in my Birchbox (https://www.birchbox.com?raf=7lshx)this month and I immediately fell in love. I previously used the Venus razors which are pretty awesome but this just blows them away. Its the Schick Hydro Silk and it has 5 blades and the head is curved so that when you shave around your knees and ankles there's less of a chance of nicking yourself.

Sea Specter
08-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Ooh *^* that sounds very nice

NerineArcticMermaid
08-26-2012, 09:57 PM
never liked the razors with more then 3 blades.. never seems to work for me. Of course I cant complain.... I've got blonde hair..

Yall probably hate me but i really dont shave often.. once a week if that and less in the winter.....just until the hair drives me bonkers....
I was sad to find out laser hair removal will never work for me... cant get any blonder or lighter than mine

Raayvhen
08-27-2012, 01:29 AM
I've got the blonde hair too so I only really shave my legs if I'm seeing my boyfriend. I do shave my armpits every time I'm going out of the house.

Has anyone here had experience with waxing the bikini line/ladyparts? I've been seriously considering it.

Mermaid Fenicia
08-27-2012, 04:00 AM
I've used Veet once and got a very irritated. Now I can't use anything anymore to get the hairs off my leg or they turn red and painful. Even a razor (any kind) turns my legs like that :( The only thing I can still do is hide it with a panty, trousers or a tail.

Morticia Mermaid
09-09-2012, 10:48 PM
I may sound weird, but I have always found that mens razors work so much better than womens, specially for the legs. I get a LOT less irritation shaving with a mens razr than a womens

Mermaid Annariea
09-09-2012, 11:39 PM
yeah, i can only use mens razors, womens razors nick me and i end up with horrible razor burn. :(

Morticia Mermaid
09-10-2012, 12:43 AM
Also, for you ladies and gents over the age of 18 (unless you can get a parent to buy it for you), I use a product called Coochy (funny name right). It's a shaving/conditioning cream from a company called Pure Romance. Works AMAZINGLY well to help prevent irritation and redness. And another little tip, after you're done shaving and you're drying off, blot dry instead of scrub dry. Those things always work for me :)

Mer_Adella
09-10-2012, 11:29 AM
i use a man's razor...closer shave actually. and I use body wash instead of soap...not only does it hydrate the skin, but it make a smoother shave. then afterwords lather your legs up with lotion.. and i mean LATHER it softens the hair and keeps your legs smoother longer

FireHair
09-14-2012, 04:43 AM
Does waxing your bikini area hurt as bad as they play it up in movies?

Ayla of Duluth
09-14-2012, 05:08 AM
^ oh yeah. Hurts like a trucker.

FireHair
09-14-2012, 05:48 AM
Goodness o.o forget that then! XD

Alveric
09-14-2012, 10:25 AM
I have to agree about the women's razor thing. Back when I used to shave, I ran out of razors and borrowed my wife's (flikr or something like that). Boy was that a mistake! I went to work looking like I'd face-planted into a bowl of broken glass.

Capt Nemo
09-14-2012, 07:39 PM
I use a Panasonic women's electric on the legs. Men's would shave closer, but irritate and burn the back of my thighs something awful. Tried a Bodygroom, but that did a worse job, but works fine for doing my back. With the Panasonic, it's a wet/dry that I always use wet with a sensitive skin shave gel. So far, it's worked pretty good at keeping irratation to a minimum.

Capt Nemo
09-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Although, somehow, someway, there's got to be some way to kill the hair prermanently!

I know JP4 jet fuel can do it, but it's pretty nasty stuff for it's other effects.

Whoever comes up with it will be richer than Bill Gates!