PDA

View Full Version : New Mermaid-er looking for tips/ideas

Mer_Adella
08-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Hello, once again there is a "newbie" in the group. But I am thankful that I found such a group to belong to. Since I was little I have been a "water-baby". And now I have purchased my very first monofin :) My mom is a master-seamstress and is willing to make me a tail to cover the monofin. I have watched a lot of youtube videos on how to make your own tail....
Problem is....none of them look like a real tail...
okay some of them do, but they dont have the right fluke or the right texture.

So to all the merfolk out there....Besides buying a very expensive tail, how can you make/find the right things to make your tail out of. It doesn't HAVE to be fancy. Just something that would be eye-catching and have the right fluke....

MerTory

Mermaid Marissa
08-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Hi I know what you mean about always being a water baby (heck my name means sea child XD). Anyways, your best bet is that you make your own monofin so it's the "right shape" there are tons of threads talking about that and if your mom is a seamstress (lucky) then you guys should have minimal trouble finding the right fabric (if you choose to go with fabric). Though I do suggest that you use neoprene! It's thicker then lycra and other fabrics they tend to use on those youtube vids, and it hides your legs better :)

Best of luck to you! Can't wait to see the final product :D

Mermaid Marissa
08-27-2012, 10:58 AM
May I also suggest a sequin tail? they are always gorgeous! and can be very realistic for a mer on a budget ;)

Mer_Adella
08-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Thanks I have thought about doing a sequin tail I think it would be gorgeous. I have a monofin and my mom wanted me to ask people on here about putting some light rubber on the monofin and making it into the shape of the fluke that I want, being careful to leave the rubber open at the ends to allow water to flow out and not drag me down. What do you think Mermaid Marissa?

Mermaid Lorelei
08-27-2012, 01:03 PM
I forget where the link is, but I have seen someone else add rubber to their monofin and it worked wonderfully.

Mermaid Arianna
08-27-2012, 01:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNLqf7ZritI
she added the rubber to make her monofin to make it look more mermaidy

Mer_Adella
08-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Awesome! Thank you guys. I am going to use that to figure something out for my tail. I'm not sure if I want to drill holes into my mono fin tho. maybe i can find something else to work with too.

Merman_Shawn
08-27-2012, 01:45 PM
You can also cut your mono-fin into a more "mermaidy" shape. http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2618-How-to-cut-a-monofin

Mer_Adella
08-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Does it harm the monofin at all if you cut it up like that?

Spindrift
08-27-2012, 05:38 PM
As long as you don't cut off the ridges, I think it's fine. I don't know what kind of monofin you have though.

Mer_Adella
08-27-2012, 11:01 PM
I have a finis rapid monofin

Mermaid Marissa
08-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks I have thought about doing a sequin tail I think it would be gorgeous. I have a monofin and my mom wanted me to ask people on here about putting some light rubber on the monofin and making it into the shape of the fluke that I want, being careful to leave the rubber open at the ends to allow water to flow out and not drag me down. What do you think Mermaid Marissa?

I think that would be fine. I would like to see how that works because it's not how mine is but I would be willing to try it :)

Mermaid Marissa
08-29-2012, 10:02 AM
You can also cut your mono-fin into a more "mermaidy" shape. http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2618-How-to-cut-a-monofin

I did that

Mermaid Marissa
08-29-2012, 10:04 AM
I have a finis rapid monofin

You should be fine cutting it. Many do as long as you dont make the middle too pointed so the middle cracks and like spindrift said cut the ridges on the outside

Mer_Adella
08-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks Mermaid Marissa...I will take that into consideration. I put up my drawings/sketches last night on fb and on here on my profile. I am going to try and think of other ways to make the tail like a fluke without cutting, and as inexpensive as possible. Still working out some ideas, just need to get them on paper lol. wish that I was home instead of having to do it at work tho

Mer_Adella
08-29-2012, 10:43 AM

Mermaid Marissa
09-05-2012, 06:27 PM
I like them both but I think that you should go with the second idea and add more scales like in the first drawing.

Mer_Adella
09-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Thanks Mermaid Marissa...but those aren't scales lol those are alllll sequins that I am handsewing..(have done it all the time)

Mer_Adella
09-06-2012, 04:56 PM
http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/p/3388/Fuchsia-Pink-Activewear

OMG great deals on swimwear nylon/spandex and lycra fabric....they also offer matching thread and zippers for your order. I got away with all my fabric, spools of thread and a zipper for 23.00$!!!!!

CowgirlMermaid
01-09-2014, 12:49 PM
I saw the word 'boning' in your designs
and I think I found a good video for you to make that look real(3D).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wBMRJcFVgI
I want to make my first tail like this , but I don't have the money yet.

I might also have some fluke designs for you (53 actually)
and I could make some photo's of them for you if you want?.
Maybe there is one you like to use?