PDA

View Full Version : An AWESOME looking cat! O_O

Kanti
08-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Wow! I actually came across this looking for lolz:

It's a "chimera" cat! I decided to post it since not so long ago we were
looking at chimera lobsters and people and junk xD

Well, "chimera" but not really, they say it's possible that she's just a regular cat.
The whole explanation is really interesting!

To read more and see more pictures go here (http://sansscience.wordpress.com/2012/08/24/loving-torti-cats-genetics-chimera-cat-unlikely-to-be-chimera-probably-x-inactivation/)
Also, she has a facebook page here (http://www.facebook.com/VenusTheAmazingChimeraCat)

spottedcatfish
08-30-2012, 11:50 PM
That cat is Awesome!

Mermaid Lorelei
08-30-2012, 11:51 PM
I love the different eyes.

Ashe
08-30-2012, 11:56 PM
So beautiful! That cat is just an astounding creation of His will.

Kanti
08-31-2012, 12:19 AM
Or a product of genetics understanding and breeding :'P
Apparently lots of cats get the split-face look, it's very rare for them to get both the split face
AND the different colored eyes. So this cat is probably one in a million, but there have been others.
Judging by the article, an actual chimera seems extremely rare.

If you look on her facebook page, she shows lots of other cats and dogs that look similar.
One was of another cat that was an almost exact mirror of this cat:

This was another pair of kittens, they're regular tortoise shells but they're like
puzzle pieces~

NerineArcticMermaid
08-31-2012, 12:54 AM
Ive seen that caton yiutube she has chimeraism....its a type of twinning... one embryo absorbs theother but retains its genetic traits

Blondie
08-31-2012, 02:22 AM
Interesting it makes me think of my own cat. She has a "four square" look on her face. It's very interesting! I haven't seen a cat like her in my life.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/Sliver_Shine29/BDA511FE-8A4E-4332-B1DD-99FFFA7EA859-16325-0000154CE4515BD5.jpg

AniaR
08-31-2012, 06:32 AM
Id be inclined to think she was chimera because her eyes are different and the other cats are not. However, isn't their a myth about blue eyes and cats? If one is is blue they're deaf in that ear? I have no idea haha just some weird thing I heard.

Mermaid Fenicia
08-31-2012, 09:11 AM
That is only with white cats AniaR ;)

Kanti
08-31-2012, 01:31 PM
@nerinethemermaid -Well the article states she MAY or may not be a chimera. Most people are leaning towards no
and the only way they can tell is if they do a DNA test on the cat.
Its possible that you were talking about another cat because the owners of this cat
clearly stated that she has never been DNA tested for that so therefore, they have no idea.

@ Raina -I think that's true, I've heard that several times but I've never heard the actual science behind it.
My neighbor actually had a white cat with blue eyes and he did end up being deaf so there's some sort
of proof to that.

@iblondie - wow, yea look at that! I assume it's a tortoise-shell? I'm not very good with identifying cats
but she does look like all the others in the pictures xD
What a cutie~

As for the different eyes, its apparently called heterochromia and not just white cats can get it, but
it does seem rare in anything other than white cats so I suppose that's partially true!
I wonder why?

Ayla of Duluth
08-31-2012, 04:50 PM
relevant.