PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid Magic Tails

Mermaid Hamant
08-01-2011, 06:35 PM
What are your thoughts on Mermaid Magic Tails?
Are they worth getting?
http://mermaid.magictail.de/

Taylor is a Mermaid
08-01-2011, 06:36 PM
I LOVE them and I want one so badly. I don't have one of their tails, but I have seen lots of members' pictures of them, and I've heard nothing but good reviews. I think they're a great value, too. I hope to get one in the future.

Mermaid Hamant
08-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Cool! Same here. They looked like great quality and style to me. :)

AniaR
08-01-2011, 07:16 PM
I have heard of one case where the monofin broke and one case where the tail ripped but everything else I read is very very very good

APhishOutofWater
08-01-2011, 07:55 PM
I have the Ariel green one and I LOVE IT! It looks amazing in the water, and is surprisingly realistic. Be careful not to rub it against hard surfaces though. It's a pain to get into the monofin, but I guess that's because I have wide feet. The only problem I had with it was getting it here. The lady who makes it had a delivery problem with my fabric so it took longer than usual. But I definetly reccomend these to anyone looking for an affordable realistic tail.

jukumerboii
08-01-2011, 10:18 PM
i want one of their tails so badly,,

mermaid hannah
08-02-2011, 02:02 AM
i just ordered one! it will get here in one to two weeks today! i think they are great super affordable! i love the fluke shape and the scale design! i would get one if i were you!

Lorelei
08-02-2011, 08:55 PM
I have my blue one and absolutely adore it! One of the best spandex tails I've seen in my opinion <3 I've heard about the monofin breaking, so I'm being very careful with it, regardless of how stable it seems to be. We took it to the lake and the rocks were sharp enough to make me worry that it would cut into the material or something, but I was surprised that it held up so nicely and still looks good as new! :)
The protruding heels are the only thing that truly bother me(appearence-wise), but I'm currently working with a friend of mine to make a sort of underskin for it, so that it will appear a bit smoother. I would recommend them.

Mermaid Jewel
08-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Also like to say that the lady who runs the website is super nice! And I was confused on sizes because my shoe size was a large while my dress size was a medium, so I mailed her and asked her if you could put a large fin in a medium tail and she responded quickly and said it's possible! So if you have a problem like that, don't hesitate to ask her about it :)

(I didn't end up getting one though :( )

AniaR
08-03-2011, 12:30 PM
yah she is really nice, I didnt end up ordering but she was super nice to me and I hear from a lot of ppl on DA she's super nice

RêveD'eau
08-04-2011, 03:06 AM
I've been thinking about getting one as a practice tail. I'm glad to hear good things about them! Did any of you see their video on youtube.com about their mermaid gathering?? Pretty cool! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjgaelVjKEc

Mermaid Hamant
08-05-2011, 11:16 PM
I have seen that video! Its awesome that they did that. We should do that here in America! :) I know they have the Mercon and the Mermaid Awards but not everyone can go, especially the younger merfolk. It would be cool if each state or maybe even different areas in each state had mer-gatherings. Just an idea.

Taylor is a Mermaid
08-06-2011, 12:19 AM
I have seen that video! Its awesome that they did that. We should do that here in America! :) I know they have the Mercon and the Mermaid Awards but not everyone can go, especially the younger merfolk. It would be cool if each state or maybe even different areas in each state had mer-gatherings. Just an idea.
I think we would all LOVE to see that happen someday. :)

Mermaid Hamant
08-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Well, if we want it to happen, we should try to make it happen right?

Moonflower
08-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Do they make their own monofins?

mermaid hannah
08-06-2011, 06:16 PM
ya, they do. i love the shape.

Lorelei
08-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Well, if we want it to happen, we should try to make it happen right?
I agree with you completely! :D Everyone should get together within their pods and plan a big tail swim gathering(maybe even on the same day, it would be cool to have a country-wide tail swim day)! It would be amazing!

Mermaid Hamant
08-09-2011, 07:11 AM
I think they do

TaurielTheElementMerfairy
08-13-2011, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=Lorelei;2488]I agree with you completely! :D Everyone should get together within their pods and plan a big tail swim gathering(maybe even on the same day, it would be cool to have a country-wide tail swim day)! It would be amazing![/QUOT

hi lorelei. i love your blue tail you got from them. it is the tail that i was thinking of getting before i desided to go with a merfolktails tail. if i where to buy it in a large do you know what the us price is and do you know what the us shipping is since it is in german? i live in western massachusetts, usa just in case if you were wondering. do you think i should buy from magictail first for my first mermaid tail or do you think i should buy from merfolktails first for my first mermaid tail? i am hopefully going to be buying a tail from merfolktails in october of this year so thats why im also asking you. i have not bought a mermaid tail before so thats why i am asking you. i agree with you also. i think it would be kool for everyone to get together within their pods and have a big tail swim gathering. maybe it can be just for the people who bought a magictail from them. please let me know as soon as you can about what i asked above. i hope to hear from you soon. thanks.:D

mermaid hannah
08-13-2011, 06:19 PM
i would go with magictials. there cheaper and really good for a starter tail. i just got mine in the mail teh other day. there really durable and shes really nice to deal with.

Melanie
08-14-2011, 08:38 PM
I reviewed this tail over on the old site, but I will post it here for you guys too:

I did indeed order one of these tails after finding it on this site, and honestly I love it!

To one of the previous comments that said their friend had it and the zipper broke...your friend must have a tail from someone else, because this tail doesn't have a zipper.

I emailed back and forth with the woman for a bit before I ordered. I wanted a green tail, and I was having trouble deciding on which color would most resemble green. There is a "blue-green" tail and a tail that looks florescent yellow. When I asked her which was green, she did direct me to the yellow one, but I think this has a lot to do with the translation happening between me being an English speaker and the website being German. It could also purely be opinion. I looked at a LOT of the pictures of the tails before making my decision, and ended up going with blue-green. I love it! It turned out to be even MORE perfect than I thought it would be. It's very very green. The picture did not do it justice.

The other thing I was concerned about was the sizing. I did not know which tail to pick, a large (adult) or a medium (teen). I am 18 years old, thin, but quite tall. I didn't entirely know how the mermaid tail even worked, and I was super worried about it getting here and it not being long enough or being way too big. She told me to pick on my dress size, and then read the shoe size for the monofins and if I needed a different one then what accompanied the fin size, to just email her after I ordered. I was still a little nervous just because of the whole slight language barrier thing. I ordered a medium fin, and asked for a large monofin. I was happy because the medium fin cost less anyway haha.

The website said it could take about 2 weeks to ship, and then since I was shipping to the US, it could even sit at customs for 2 weeks, so that is 4 weeks of waiting time not even counting the time in transit. She told me I would probably have it around March 21st, which was a little disappointing to me because I would be away and would have to wait until I came home to see it.

She actually shipped it out the first week I ordered it! I am not sure how long it sat at customs, but I ended up getting it a week before I left! It got to go to Disney with me after all. (: It fit me PERFECTLY, and she did include the large monofin as promised.

As far as quality goes, I suppose it is sort of hard for me to report. This is the only tail I have ever used, and frankly I love it. Sometimes if I swim really hard my feet might start to come out of the monofin pocket, but if I sit down I can generally wiggle them back in without even unrolling my tail. As a beginner, it is very easy for me to swim in and I am already improving a lot! I swim a lot better with it then without it, and now legs in a pool just feels naked. Haha!

The only thing is I have noticed some ripping on the bottom of the tail fabric. But honestly I think this is to be expected at that price, and a lot of that is my fault for bumping into the bottom of the pool. Obviously if you don't rub it against cement, it's not gonna rip. I haven't had any problem with the material on the top. Speaking of the material, I really really love the scale and tail pattern. It looks very realistic and children often think it is real. I really love how the monofin is shaped as well. This tail looks real in the water, AND out. That's good because I plan on making appearances as Ariel!

I will post some pictures in the next post! If you guys have any questions about the tail or need more specifics, I would be more than happy to answer.

-Melanie

That was a few months ago and I am now a much more adept mermaid. ;) I still love my tail, and I actually have the blue and purple colored ones as well now. It's been a perfect entry level tail and I still highly recommend it. As for the one that I heard breaking, the monofin does come with very specific rules and from what I understand the person who had it broke sewed it into the tail. The costume should always be removed off of the monofin after you swim so I have a feeling that may have contributed to it snapping. Just follow all the directions and you should be fine!

As always, feel free to contact me if you have any questions about it.

ide
08-16-2011, 10:32 PM
This is my current tail, and while I am already very excited to upgrade to a latex one (I have about have of the materials to build it now), I really enjoy it. It's beautiful, extremely easy to get into & out of, extremely easy to care for, lightweight, and inexpensive. A perfect trainer tail.

As Melanie noted, it's easy to scrape the fabric on the fluke - after my first time in a concrete swimming pool with it, I found maybe three tiny holes in the fabric where I had touched the side of the pool too roughly while swimming, and this is unfortunate, but somewhat expected. It's thin bathing-suit material, that has pros and cons.

Otherwise, my only real aesthetic issue with it has already been mentioned - how visible the heel is (again, thin fabric) and perhaps that the open end of the tail, which allows for easy maintenance, is sometimes very visible when swimming and a bit unfortunate. Perhaps adding extra fabric to the end of the tail (streamer-like fin tatters) would help hide the opening.

Mine is bright yellow, and it's really, really bright. Young children (preschoolers) are definitely convinced by it when I wear it in public places.

Lorelei
08-17-2011, 02:03 AM
[QUOTE=Lorelei;2488]I agree with you completely! :D Everyone should get together within their pods and plan a big tail swim gathering(maybe even on the same day, it would be cool to have a country-wide tail swim day)! It would be amazing![/QUOT

hi lorelei. i love your blue tail you got from them. it is the tail that i was thinking of getting before i desided to go with a merfolktails tail. if i where to buy it in a large do you know what the us price is and do you know what the us shipping is since it is in german? i live in western massachusetts, usa just in case if you were wondering. do you think i should buy from magictail first for my first mermaid tail or do you think i should buy from merfolktails first for my first mermaid tail? i am hopefully going to be buying a tail from merfolktails in october of this year so thats why im also asking you. i have not bought a mermaid tail before so thats why i am asking you. i agree with you also. i think it would be kool for everyone to get together within their pods and have a big tail swim gathering. maybe it can be just for the people who bought a magictail from them. please let me know as soon as you can about what i asked above. i hope to hear from you soon. thanks.:D

Funny because the merfolks tail was my first tail when I was 12, :) I'd say it is a good starter tail. Both are actually and the only thing that would be a bit if-E about a magictail being a starter tail is you have to get used to the different monofin. The magictail tails mono fin don't have anything in between your feet, they put your feet closer together and the monofin is slightly less stable than the monofin that merfolks put in their tails(I've heard magictail can be prone to breakage if not careful. I'm not sure if it's true since mine appears okay and holding up good so far. However, the finis monofin from merfolks that I got is still in perfect swimming condition even after about 6 years of having it). I'm far from an expert and probably not the best person to ask about it, but I think either one would be fine :) It all comes down to whichever look you like better and if you can't decided that way then just maybe go with your heart. Good Luck! :D

Mermaid Saphira
11-26-2011, 06:26 PM
As everyone else said..The lady is so nice, even if you don't order she is very helpful and informative! I want the orange and blue tail so badly!!

ide- On the old forum someone reccomended putting a zipper or velcro on the bottom to keep the fabric from exposing the monofin. Good luck

Mermaid Saphira
12-04-2011, 07:48 PM
If anyone speaks German...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x1n18s0dgs

Toxotes
12-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Alright, it will take a while to translate this.
First I have to sleep a few hours, then go to work, and after that I will do my best! ;)

Mermaid Saphira
12-04-2011, 08:26 PM
^ Thank you Toxotes...take your time :)

Mermaid Hamant
12-05-2011, 01:16 AM
Does anyone know how well the tails hold up in terms of fading from chlorine and sun exposure?

Toxotes
12-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Here's the translation, maybe a bit rough, but I hope you can understand it:

Those who ever wanted to be a mermaid now can fulfil their dream.
With hand-sewn tailfins. You heard right.
One year ago, Kirsten Söller from Freiamt brought the big dream of her daughter to reality with such a mermaid costume.
Then the dream became a business idea. Today Kirsten Söller sends her costumes to 27 countries.
Annette Rohrer about unusual bathing fasion invented and sewn in south Black Forest:

Finally mermaid. The dream of a life as a mermaid. And she makes it come true: Kirsten Söller from Freiamt. No fantasy at all: the fabric the costumes are made of is ordinary fabric for bathing suits.
While making the first swim tests the daughter almost drowned, because the first version of a test fin wasn’t good enough.

Kirsten Söller: My daughter wished something like that and did not give up, so I made one out of two old swim fins and an oilcloth table cover on which we painted scales.
Then we went to the public pool and were instantly surrounded by girls who asked: “Where can I get such a thing?”

Present day, her daughter Moja poses on the website, where you can choose the size and your favourite color.
What girls want: Since a new television series aired, they are fascinated by mermaids.

Leah Achstetter: I think it’s beautiful how they move, and on youtube and other sites there are clips how they dive with whales. It just looks really beautiful.

From Freiamt to the whole world, Kirsten Söller even receives inquiries from Taiwan. And her fin costumes are also to be seen in the newest music video of Herbert Grönemeyer. Experimenting for several years has paid off.

Kirsten Söller: I imagined it as pretty easy, but I experienced it is difficult to produce something that is really good. We often went to the pools and asked the girls: “What do you think about this?” Then they told us how it has to look.

Finally mermaid, mermaid training at the lake with daughter and her friends.

Kirsten Söller: Now, if you are completely in it, and the footpocket fits well, you can pull it up like tights.

Daughter Moja shows how it works and mother Kirsten explains the theory.

Kirsten Söller: To go forward you have to move like a mermaid. I show it to you and the rest you have to try out on your own.

And after some exercise they dive into an underwater world, even if it’s only the lake in Forchheim.

Mermaid: At the beginning it is a bit strange, but it becomes really great.
2nd mermaid: It’s difficult to explain…
Kirsten Söller: Most of all I like it if I see the girls so happy with their costumes. It’s such a great feeling in the heart.

In August, there’s the world mermaid meeting in Las Vegas. Kirsten Söller will be there with her daughter Moja. Then they are among themselves, the senior and the little mermaids of this world.

Nate Walis
01-12-2012, 10:51 AM
I bought my mermaid one for an Xmas present and the quiality, speed of arrival and nature of the maker was great.

We had ordered another tail from a manufacturer in Germany and it took an age to arrive, which is not really supposed to be such an issue when you live in the UK rather than the States.

The only complaint was that the monofin caused a little cramp the first time it was worn, or so the mermaid tells me.

Cornelia
02-09-2012, 01:24 PM
At first I thought about making my tail by myself but I have problems with finding the perfect fin. Now I'm thinking about buying this tail... and change the stile. They are beautiful but not as in my dreams... ;)

Don't know exactly now... *think*think*

MafaldaMermaid
02-14-2012, 06:12 PM
I absolutely love their tails!
I bought mine last year, the Marina color, and it's incredibly detailed and durable. :)
Couldn't be more happy!

Mermaid Saphira
02-14-2012, 07:40 PM
^ I want the marina one! Do think maybe we could see some photos of your tail? :)

Mermaid Syrena
07-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Hi guys! Mermaid Saphira-- my Marina tail (I also ordered it in Sirene) should be arriving in less than a week. I'd be happy to take a picture for you, if you'd like to see if you want to get one.

Echidna
07-06-2013, 01:44 AM
As for the one that I heard breaking, the monofin does come with very specific rules and from what I understand the person who had it broke sewed it into the tail. The costume should always be removed off of the monofin after you swim so I have a feeling that may have contributed to it snapping. Just follow all the directions and you should be fine!

Ahem.
As a proud owner of several MagicTails, I have to comment.
I love these tails.
They look awesome, the only way you could get a better-looking spandex tail is by being a talented crafter yourself.
Ms Söller and her staff are very helpful and nice.

However, the monofin.
Uh-oh.
First, it is flimsy.
Incredibly so, especially the older version, which almost folds in half by itself when you move it in water.
It gives almost no propulsion, which I don't mind- the better to refine your swimming style.

However, the monofin DOES break easily, even if you follow all the instructions to the letter,
and are even more careful than recommended.
Always cushioned when laying on the ground or stored; never bumped it, never scraped it, never bent it by hand.
Always took it out super carefully after use. Etc.

2 of their monofins broke after a really short while (ca 5-6 hours of swimming?), and it happened during, and while only swimming.
I got a replacement for the first, but not for the second.
Maybe they think I should use the replacement in both of my costumes? idk.

At any rate, the monofin, which is now sold separately in their shop, costs almost as much as a Finis Rapid,
which is so much more durable and gives great propulsion.
For such a price, the monofin should hold up longer than it does.
And I don't think I've been so unlucky to get two faulty ones-
there have been lots of complaints about them cracking, and the crack happens almost always in exactly the same place
for everyone.