PDA

View Full Version : Marine conservancy...

roamingmer
09-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Going back to 1995 I was studying in Bath University, and joined the marine conservency group; but can't remember why my membership lapsed. Probably one change of address too many. After uni I did ambit of conservation work (land based) but also stopped when studies took over life.
My work life balance is definitely tilted towards work (Waay toooo much) and I need to readjust. One idea would be to use my holidays to volunteer for marine conservation work - but landlocked Switzerland does not have too much

Does anyone know of a good conservation society that might be open to having international volunteers for a couple of weeks? Ideally based on a sail boat to reduce the impact on oceans. This was brought home to me when in new Zealand we were surrounded by dolphins when sailing (official pleasure boats saw none)

Of course if it is close to somewhere to go mermaiding or learning to dive then so much better

Spindrift
09-02-2012, 03:51 PM
What about Sea Shepherd? I think they do trips 2 weeks at a time.

Capt Nemo
09-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Run away from the Sea Shepards! RUN FAST!!!

You would be better off learning about your local lakes, rivers, and streams. Just going out with basic snorkeling gear can teach you a lot. Just sit and let the fish come to you. In one stream, I found a fish that seems to be unknown by any wildlife agency. It's similar to other local versions, but a LOT more colorful than any of the known fish. I'm trying to get a picture for proof, but it's extremely hard to shoot a 2" fish hiding around rocks in a shallow fast moving stream. Who knows what you may find! By becomming an expert on a particular body of water, you can help in management of that resource.

Learn about invasive species in your area, and do what you can to eradicate them.

Organize clean ups to clear trash out of local lakes and rivers.

You'll be a lot further along with the above suggestions than, burning thousands of gallons of fuel oil, littering the ocean with bottles of butyric acid and rope, and making an ass of yourself.