PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Ophelia
09-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Well, I guess I've been into fantasy much more than real life for as long as I can remember, but actually BEING a mermaid was something I'd never heard of until the past year. I'm no stranger to dressing weird and getting funny looks in public, so becoming a mythical creature seems like a logical next step.

I guess I just have so many questions I don't know where to begin, between technical questions about tails/swimming in tails (if I were to, theoretically, sit on rocks near the ocean to prank/surprise passerby, would that most likely damage the tail, or should most quality paint jobs hold up to some scuffing? I am a fairly decent swimmer and can hold my breath up to a minute and a half at rest (I've been practicing increasing my time) but have never taken proper lessons, am I going to drown? Hahaha) and more... I guess "cultural" questions. I have a lot of deeper meaning and somewhat dark story in mind relating to the name "Ophelia" than just "it sounds pretty" and I am way more into the "siren singing sailors to their deaths on jagged rocks" than the little mermaid type deal. Is this darker aspect generally frowned upon within this community, out of curiosity?

I mean I have about a bajillion more miscellaneous questions, but I'm not sure how active this forum is so I'll just leave what I have for now! :p

Mermaid Arianna
09-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Hi! Welcome to the network!! Let me see if I can answer any of your questions, I think regardless of the quality of a paint job a tail will suffer a little wear and tear but thats just my experience, as for the cultural differences it all depends on your preferences, I don't think it is frowned upon in the community to be less Ariel. Its all a matter of preference, Hope this helps!If you have any more questions Ill be happy to help! :)

Ashe
09-02-2012, 11:55 PM
Hello Ophelia! I hope you have a great time here on Mernetwork with us! And no, darker aspects of mermaids are not frowned upon! We encourage others to believe what they want and though i forgot specific names, there are many other mers ive talked to who enjoy thinking of the darker sides of sirens. I can go either way :) We are all different and that's what makes us mers unique! so dont be afraid to say what you want! if you need someone to talk to, you can IM me. Ill send a friend request right now! <3

Ophelia
09-03-2012, 12:00 AM
Thanks guys ^_^ I imagined it would be so with the paint, but I can't help but smile thinking about how many double-takes I could get around here if I were to be sitting out on a rock combing my hair! Hahaha. People don't see much of that stuff around here, I imagine I could stir up some "real" mermaid sightings ;) perhaps I'll have to bring a towel to sit on! My local exotic pet store where i used to work told me i could live in their nice big koi pond during the summer as well :) All in the future of course since I'm broke and jobless.

I wish I could upload some pictures from my phone, I've been making jewelry the past few days in anticipation.

Mermaid Arianna
09-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Yoga mats solve all problems! If you can get one they can keep you from scratching the paint off. I like the koi pond idea, that would be fun, and I would love to see pics of your jewelry!

Ophelia
09-03-2012, 12:20 AM
If my brother ever gets off the computer I'd love to put up some photos :/ fat chance and I'm too tired to argue about it. Mehhhh.

Ophelia
09-03-2012, 12:27 AM
Actually, the headdress and necklace are in my profile picture on my Facebook which you should be able to see.. Not the clearest/close uppiest picture but I think they're coming along well!

Facebook.com/poxabomination

Estarriol
09-03-2012, 12:57 AM
Hi Ophelia!
It's nice to see someone who looks at mermaids with a little less fluffiness. Besides, like people there are good ones and bad ones.
what a lovely choice of name - are you sure it won't be unlucky for a mermaid? Edit - always lovely to find other EA fans :)

Mermaid Arianna
09-03-2012, 01:00 AM
oooohhh, pretty jewels!!!!

Ophelia
09-03-2012, 05:41 AM
Well.. I guess my reasoning is kind of complicated and goes along with a story/idea made up in my head. The character Ophelia is that of a girl driven to madness from the conflicting pressures she has from all the men in her life and trying to please everyone but herself - the scene in which she finally dies she is referred to as mermaid-like and a creature at one with the water:

There is a willow grows aslant a brook
That shows his hoar leaves in the glassy stream.
There with fantastic garlands did she come
Of crowflowers, nettles, daisies, and long purples,
That liberal shepherds give a grosser name,
But our cold maids do “dead men’s fingers” call them.
There, on the pendant boughs her coronet weeds
Clambering to hang, an envious sliver broke,
When down her weedy trophies and herself
Fell in the weeping brook. Her clothes spread wide,
And mermaid-like a while they bore her up,
Which time she chanted snatches of old lauds
As one incapable of her own distress,
Or like a creature native and indued
Unto that element. But long it could not be
Till that her garments, heavy with their drink,
Pulled the poor wretch from her melodious lay
To muddy death.

I guess my idea for Ophelia as the name for a siren as opposed to a regular "fluffy" mermaid is that of revenge: a timid, confused and somewhat weak girl driven to insanity and death by the attempts of men to control her life - her spirit comes back as a vengeful mermaid, beautiful and treacherous and singing men to their insanity and eventual drowning and death.

And I suppose I can relate to that story to some extent.

Mermaid Arianna
09-03-2012, 10:31 PM
I like it! I guess im not really a "siren" so to say but I'm not a "fluffy" disney fish either

Ophelia
09-03-2012, 10:35 PM
I have visions of sitting on the rocks in the water near the road and causing car accidents. Modern day siren, crashing cars instead of ships? Bwahahaha.

Lyna
09-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Hopefully Ophelia never gets depressed...or water is not a great home for you! hahaha unless the real Ophelia was a mermaid and could hold her breath forever...we'd have had a much happier ending.
Moving on...I'm sure you will find EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know in this community. There are so many resources here already, and everyone is more than willing to share idea's, tips, and tricks. I'd say 90% of the people here are tailmakers now...even if just for themselves...and we're all learning to be quite crafty. :) Welcome to the group!