PDA

View Full Version : Oh, heck no.

Mermaid Celissa
09-03-2012, 09:50 PM
I disrespect this guy because of this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEpP_H20eoQ&feature=plcp

Mermaids aren't weirdos. Jesus.

Ophelia
09-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I like how she's thrown in there with a woman that bit a cop, etc. It clearly says she knows she's not a real mermaid, she's just doing it for fun. I don't get the problem or see anything 'weird.'

Mermaid Celissa
09-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Exactly! At least there weren't many people who voted for this wonderful lady to be considered the weirdest. He also put her in with a guy who swallowed a fork and a thief who sat around in his underwear waiting for a chicken pot pie - in the house he was robbing.

Ophelia
09-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Yeah. Ughhfhghgh. People are stupid. Like, I can see people thinking the concept is strange at first and most people don't have the balls to put on a tail in public even if they wanted to... but she straight out said "I know its not real, its just fun, I swim better." Can we not do anything for fun anymore, really? The other people on the list seemed to have straight up mental illnesses.

AniaR
09-03-2012, 10:50 PM
my comment.

I perform and educate as a mermaid, I love it. I get a lot of great publicity and opportunity. The woman in this clip was very well spoken and made it pretty clear she was just trying a swimming hobby that a lot of young people already enjoy. Get off your high horse :p don't knock something you've never tried. Even Michael Phelps has swam in a mermaid tail (merman!)

Ashe
09-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Whaaaaa??? i love his (most of) videos! this makes me so sad that a person i used to constantly watch went ahead and did this! oh well, i guess ill just watch his videos strictly for the science aspect of it...:(

spottedcatfish
09-04-2012, 12:16 AM
People are weird! I think she shouldn't even be on that list!

malinghi
09-04-2012, 03:02 AM
Wish I could call him a weirdo for his hobby of ridiculing strangers over the internet, but unfortunately that's very normal.

Prince Calypso
09-04-2012, 03:14 AM
Da Fuh!

malinghi
09-04-2012, 03:14 AM
Guys! Evidently she's part of a local group of 40 mermaids in the northwest! How have I never heard of these people?

They have a website: http://www.roguemermaids.com (http://www.roguemermaids.com/)

I found out by watching the original news story on her: http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2012/08/06/Woman-spends-summer-as-mermaid/UPI-72541344273934/

AniaR
09-04-2012, 08:02 AM
you should invite them to mernetwork mal!

ShyMer
09-04-2012, 10:15 AM
I think I love that woman.

Nate Walis
09-04-2012, 11:10 AM
You're only going to see more of this as mermaiding becomes better known to the mainstream and people with little imagination and a desire to make cheap media content get hold of such footage. The main counterpoint to this is that the hobby seems to be gaining massive amounts of momentum with young girls, and if there are large numbers of kids willing to spend their parent's money on things related to the phenomenon, then there will always be those willing to present it in a positive light so they can cash in. It may be cynical, but this is perhaps what will replace such narrow-minded scorn: acceptance from a younger and less mentally inflexible generation.

Kanti
09-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Meh, weird is a matter of opinion.
I don't find it nearly as weird as guys who wear their pants 2ft off the ground, girls who get lip
injections, and other stuff that's essentially a lot more useless.
At least this woman is getting exercise and going outside.

I agree with malinghi though. It does seem like a bigger waste of time to people watch so you
can criticize others on the internet xD

Meghara July
09-05-2012, 06:38 PM
That's just depressing. People don't realize what mermaiding actually is. It's as intense as any sport. It's fulfilling, and on top of that it's great fro your body! There are so many benefits to it. It is a great thing to get into. I just can't believe people would be rude and disrespective like that.

AniaR
09-05-2012, 06:40 PM
pants on the ground, pants on the ground. Looking like a fool with your pants on the ground.