PDA

View Full Version : Dreams

Merman Craig (Delphinar)
09-04-2012, 12:46 AM
When you sleep, do you dream as yourself as a mermaid/merman? Do you dream about swimming in the ocean with a tail instead of legs?

spottedcatfish
09-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Every time I dream of water or going underwater, I either can't do it, because I'm scared I'll drown or I just swim on the surface of the water. My inner mermaid is never happy in dreams. lol. It's weird, but I hope to conquer this fear of depths, and underwater swimming, then I'll hopefully have some better dreams.

roamingmer
09-04-2012, 01:10 AM
Often I dream of swimming underwater. Sometimes with tail, or without any conscious form of prepulsion. Eg last night I'm in a river beside an old building with some colleagues who are swimming human way. Me - I'm diving deep and back again, with perceived breath hold of minutes. I'm told off for startling the others. I should be more careful.

Probably get a couple of mer like dreams a month; guess my subconscious wants to tell me something...

Blondie
09-04-2012, 01:59 AM
I have dreams of swimming in a costume tail, but never as an "actual" mermaid.

Azurin Luna
09-04-2012, 02:10 AM
I've had several dreams of which I can only remember one vividly. I was at the beach with some friends and we went for a swim, though usually I'm not the best swimming I was better this time. I was able to stay underwater as if floating in space. Suddenly the surrounding of my dream changed while I was floating in the water, I was suddenly at some oldtime Greece temples, but the people were just walking over the seabed, oblivious that I was swimming above them. I swam around watching what they were doing untill one of them spotted me. Then the surrounding suddenly changes to Venetian times, and I'm swimming in a large ball room. This is were I for the first time encounter another person swimming around. He was a merman while I still had my legs as I was a sea elf. We chatted and played tricks on the people in the ballroom. After a while he had to leave and as soon as he left my dream ended as well.

It was strange, as it felt I was hitchhiking along on someone elses dream or that we created the dream together... dreamscapes are a strange place

halesloveswhales
09-04-2012, 08:56 AM
I have mermaid dreams all the time. Like, probably once a week. Most of them are about meeting mermaids, especially costumed mermaids. A lot of them are underwater breathing dreams.
My favorite mermaid dream was probably the one that really kicked off my obsession with the ocean and mermaids. The whole dream, instead of being in black and white, was in turquoise and white (Those were the only two colors). I was underwater swimming, and I came to this cave wall with a little hole in the side. Through the hole, I could see three mermaids hanging out and being mermaids. I really wanted to join them, but the hole in the wall was the size of my head, just small enough to not fit my whole body through. So I just kept swimming, wishing I could be "part of their world." It was just a really pretty dream :)

Ayla of Duluth
09-04-2012, 09:25 AM
I dream about zombies...

Mermaid Celissa
09-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Well....

1 - I dreamed that the lobby of my school had a pool instead of a floor. I was a silver mermaid, just swimming along the surface, with a pink sparkly dolphin. Suddenly this purple fuzzy flying thing that looked kind of like this:
http://www.freewebs.com/pinkablue/photos/Aminals/02_72dpi.jpg
came and it was kinda creepy. I said, "I wish that thing would disappear!", and it poofed away in a puff of smoke. I turned to my dolphin, nodded, and kept on swimming.

2 - I dreamt I was with the H2O girls at a pool. I accidentally splashed water on Cleo's leg, and I said, "Oh no!" Cleo asked, "What?" I exclaimed, "Your leg, it's wet!" "Oh, it doesn't matter!" Then she jumped in the pool and turned into a mermaid. Then Rikki jumped in and told me to come with her. So we were in the pool, and we were all H2O-style mermaids (excluding Emma, who was texting beside the pool) and Rikki taught me how to swim with my tail. Then some teenage guy came, and I woke up.

3 (recent) - In the beginning I was entertaining with nerinethemermaid at a kids' party, in a wading pool. I used her tail, and she used Raina's, but Raina wasn't there. We were laughing our faces off but all the kids were just staring at us. (At this point, the pool scene ended and it turned non-mermaid and nightmarish)

4 (last night) - I wasn't an official mermaid in this one, but I was wearing these heavy iron boots. I was running with a group of people and we all jumped into the ocean. The boots actually made me go much faster and I went speedier than a dolphin. I could jump really really high out of the water too. It made me feel like a mermaid.

Talia
09-05-2012, 03:05 PM
I often dream that I swim with marine mammals (usually dolphins, but beluga whales have sometimes shown up). I can breath underwater always (not hold my breath for long, but actually breath). But I have never dreamt of having a tail.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
09-06-2012, 01:35 PM
I've had a dream where a hurricane was coming and (despite not living near the shore) I was helping people set up sandbags and stuff like that, while gradually turning into a merman with weather controlling powers, and it was a sort of race against time to see whether I could complete the transformation (and therefore gain enough power to deflect the storm) or whether the hurricane would land first.

Drowning
09-06-2012, 01:54 PM
I have subaquatic dreams about once a week... Sometimes I am scuba diving, or a native pearl diver holding my breath, but for much longer than humanly possible. Sometimes in peril, sometimes rescuing someone. It's all wonderful. I thought I was the only one :$

cockerelsiren
09-06-2012, 07:35 PM
I have mermen dreams all the time. I live about 45 minutes away ro the nearest beach, so I don't visit it too, too often. Instead I usally swim in a large olympic sized swimming pool down aways from my house. That is where my dreams take place. I have a dream about once a week or so that I have real fins and am swimming around free as can be. Just this passed Saturday I had a dream I had a handsome human waiting fro me at the edge. I surfaced just beside him, smiling sweetly like I do. He mirrored my sentiment and leaned in for a kiss, to which I obliged him. But as all mermen must return to the depths I pulled him in steadily, submerging us both underwater. I woke up soon after, so in my mind's eyes i can stll see that kiss, forever haunting my mermaid dreams.

I'm a little overdramatic in my dreams :p

MermaidBrittany
03-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Here's a weird one, last night I was dreaming that I was in a silicone tail, and a dolphin came up to me and rolled over and just stayed there. I went to investigate and saw that it had shark teeth embedded in its flesh so I helped remove them. It was an oddly realistic dream. o.0

Mermaid_Aurora
03-22-2013, 03:37 AM
My dreams aren't usually swimming as an actual mermaid, but I do constantly dream of swimming with dolphins, being able to understand them, and dressed up in my dream tail and seashell top. I also had a dream I rescued a dolphin from death while swimming as a mermaid, nursed him back to health, and made a permanent friend. I also usually dont feel the need to come up for air.

I dream of swimming in my dream tail almost nightly.

Mermaid Stark
03-22-2013, 05:29 AM
I've had lots of dreams like that!

1st: I was walking along the beach and there was a lot of shells on the ground. I tried to run into the water, but every time I tried, the sea seemed to get further and further away. I just sat down on the ground and started to cry and that's when I woke up.

2nd: I was in a gazebo in front of the old Target I used to go to in the U.S. Someone was coming, so I jumped into the water and transformed into an H2O mermaid. I quickly swam away, but the water was really shallow. The pool of water was shaped like a T with the gazebo at the end of it. I swam towards the end which was the top of the T. I really was happy because the tail seemed so real and i couldn't feel my legs. When I got to the end, a dolphin was there. It seemed as if we were actually talking together and I could understand him. His name was Fred (I know, creative, right? lol) and We just sat there talking together for a while. Then when I wanted to go back, my tail seemed glued to the bottom. So Fred told me to hold on to his dorsal fin and he pulled me back. It was so fun! Then I woke up and was disappointed that it wasn't real.

Mermaid Miel
04-16-2013, 07:54 PM
Just This Morning I had a dream were I was in a boat with Mermaid Raina and Mermaid Mimi and we went freediving in the ocean to swim with leopard seals. One seal followed Raina about, even back onto the boat! I had a nice chat with Mimi about her tail.
Afterwards I was so tired I napped on Raina's couch and was woken by an Aussie Policeman asking me if I knew anything about a stabbing murder involving a young girl in the house behind us.
"I don't know, my heads all fuzzy with mermaids." I mumbled
I went to talk to Raina but got distracted by the Toilet, on a pedestal in the Kitchen.... That's when Dad woke me up. My dreams usually tend to be very disjointed and weird, so in this case the Mermaid half was unusual, the weird toilet let me know that I was dreaming.

SeaGlass Siren
04-16-2013, 08:04 PM
i swear to god there was another thread like this.. i posted 7 dreams on that o-o;;

Mermaid Julianne
04-16-2013, 09:10 PM
You're right. There is another thread here:http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?3916-Mermaid-Dreams&highlight=dreams

Also, I have a question. Is there a thread for random dreams not involving mermaids or can you post them here? I have had some very bizarre non mermaid dreams over the years, so I could definitely contribute to the conversation if you guys wanted me to. For 3 years, I've wrote down my dreams so most of them are very clear to me, though many of my dreams from when I was younger are clear to me as well. I don't know, I just have a good memory.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I had a mer dream when I was about 6. Harry Potter went to a water park, and it became infested with these tall, brownish black evil furry monsters who were eating all the people on the slides. Harry took out his wand and prepped to kill this brown monster coming down a slide, but his magic didn't work on the monster and it ate him. I remember waking up crying because he was dead and yelling at my mom saying I wouldn't go to school because this was the worst day of my life, lol. Anyways, I closed my eyes again and me, a mermaid with a shiny silver tail came and jumped out of the water with a trident, stabbing the monster and killing him. But Harry was still dead, so I was still sad when I went to school that day. That's the only one I can think of right now, but I would be happy to share my other mythological dreams with you guys, like with centaurs and wizards and whatnot.

SeaGlass Siren
04-16-2013, 09:34 PM
We could make this the official non mermaid dream thread :0

MermaidBrittany
04-16-2013, 11:23 PM
The reason we have sooo many repeated threads is because no one completes any searches before posting :/ This one was created first though.

sunrise
04-16-2013, 11:50 PM
I've had quite a few strange dreams, but most of the ones involving water tend to scare me into waking up at the time- I tend to dream of being underwater and losing the need for air, not like I can breathe underwater, just that I don't need to breathe. Then I freak out from that, and start to breathe, but realize I'm underwater and freak out for a second. Then I realize it's a dream, but at that point I end up waking up because of all the excitement and stress. My weirder dreams are when I've fallen asleep with the news on, or when I've gone lucid- in one, I was flying, when I guess I got confused by the logic of it, since I started to fall- so I gave myself a parachute, but it broke, and I ended up landing in my driveway on my side. There was a lot more to it all, but that was the interesting, and easy to follow half of it XD.

Mermaid Julianne
04-17-2013, 05:16 AM
Yeah, when I was younger, I had lucid flying dreams. Most of them involved levitating on my sisters ceiling, but I remember one where I flew out the window and went to the eiffel tower, big ben, etc. When it ended, I landed on my sisters bed, and when I woke up, I was in her room. I got so freaked out when I woke up that I actually thought I could fly! Little did I know this was the first time I sleepwalked. I didn't find that out until a few years ago though. Ah, I miss my lucid dreams...

SeaGlass Siren
04-17-2013, 10:35 PM
I had lucid flying dreams when I was a baby. I dreamt at night while my dad put me to sleep I could fly to the moon outside the building I lived in. I played with tiny specks of stars and then I flew back home and landed on my bed.

Id do it ten more times because it was fun but I was never able to fly back to the moon :(

Mermaid Julianne
04-17-2013, 10:46 PM
It seems like you enjoyed lucid dreams as well. Those were the days, huh?

Anyways, Until I was about 8, I was able to control my dreams. I used to picture a tv screen in my head, and when I felt like it, I changed the channel or directed what I saw into something I liked. Saying this out loud makes it sound extremely bizarre... But yeah. That's pretty much what happened.

I also dreamt a lot of my old memories from when I was a baby, like my cousins wedding when I was 2. I had that one a lot now that I think about it.
Actually, I had a bunch of recurring dreams, epsecially this one in particular involving a man eating chicken which ate all my friends and family...

I'd give you the details but its way too bizarre for you guys to understand.

Mermaid Pickles
04-17-2013, 11:37 PM
Most of my dreams are lucid to a certain degree, meaning I can control certain things. Also, a lot of my dreams, almost all of them, in fact, are repeating. SO basically, I have a pattern that my dreams follow. Certain ones at certain points every few years, and I keep track of them, too. Though, the thing is, all the dreams have been happening over and over again since I was about two or three. Which is really odd, since quite a few of them feature people I met after high school or didn't meet until middle school (and always have featured those people. For instance, when I was five, I had a dream about someone I wouldn't meet until sixth grade.). Also, the things I can control are usually small things that can be used to tweak HOW a certain thing will happen, though the action or event always happens. It's like a video game almost, and very frustrating sometimes. My water related ones are usually either mer-related, or have to do with car crashes. (I always worry about being in a wreck and not being able to get out. Even in my dreams.) My dream with me flying through a desert trying to find a tootsie roll because my sister wants a bicycle is about to come around on the schedule of dream-happenings. Don't even ask about the logic of that sentence. That particular dream makes no sense to me even when I'm dreaming.

Mermaid Pickles
04-17-2013, 11:39 PM
And you know what, if I were to post the details of some of my dreams, they'd probably be just about as strange as that, if not stranger.

Thalassa
04-18-2013, 12:47 AM
I love lucid dreams! In many of my dreams they're lucid or at least I have power in the dreams to manipulate things.

However, lately my dreams have become...mundane. I'm a teacher, and I'll dream that I'm at work answering kids' questions or that I'm dealing with behavior problems. I'll almost literally go through a whole day at work in the dream, and just as I'm coming home I wake up...and it's time to get up and go to work. I hate those dreams! They exhaust me, and I feel like I've worked twice as much. Sometimes they give me good ideas, but more often than not they just stress me out.

And let's not even get into the nightmares I have around parent-teacher conference time...*shudder*

SeaGlass Siren
04-18-2013, 04:36 PM
I actually have two bookfuls if dreams I've recorded. Maybe one day I will scan some fr u guys to read xD

Miyu
07-19-2013, 03:39 AM
All of my dreams involve either swimming or flying. When swimming, it's always as a mermaid/water nymph; that is, not struggling like a human :P When flying, well, that's more open to interpretation to my subconscious mind. I'll either physically be flying with this feeling of pushing energy out from myself to fly (not wings, ever), or I'll be in a flying craft (never an airplane, it's usually a flying building - usually a school or mall, or a spaceship, or flying-mall-school-spaceship-thing sometimes :P), or sometimes just kept afloat by some force outside me, as in say a meditation/medicine session where you just float places as you need to go)

artorias
08-28-2023, 02:25 PM
To what extent have modern technologies, including neuroeducation and data analysis, changed our understanding of the origin of dreams and their role in revealing the contents of our subconscious?

valkyrie
08-28-2023, 02:27 PM
Neuroeducation, such as functional magnetic resonance imaging and electroencephalography, allows you to study brain activity during sleep, and identify patterns and correlations between brain activity and dream elements. This contributes to a more accurate definition of the possible sources of dreams and their relationship with mental processes and creative dreaming (http://insidemydream.com/). At the same time, data analysis allows us to process large amounts of information, and identify general trends and dream themes, which reveals the subtleties and symbolism associated with our subconscious. This symbiosis of technologies contributes to a deeper understanding of the role of dreams in revealing our hidden thoughts, emotions, and needs.