PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid Cosplay Accessories

SeaVixen
09-05-2012, 06:27 PM

Mermaid Celissa
09-05-2012, 06:41 PM
...Don't mean to make a bad first impression, but there's already been a thread for advertising your shops

SeaVixen
09-05-2012, 10:34 PM

Morticia Mermaid
09-28-2012, 12:05 PM
I have to agree with Celissa. I've noticed that you have 7 different threads for "advertising" your shop. I understand being excited and wanting to get the word out about your shop, hoping to get more sales. I really do. I just opened mine 2 months ago and I have only had 1 sale. There are LOTS of shops on Etsy and quite a few sell mermaid type stuff, myself being one of them.

And, not to be rude, I've only made one thread regarding my shop and my Facebook pages. And that is where I have been posting anything having to do with my shop, updates when I get new items, providing updates to people who buy tails. Combining everything into a single thread will be much easier for possible buyers to look through your work and such, instead of spreading it so thin that people have to hunt and peck through thread after thread.

No offense to anyone, when it comes to wanting to purchase something from an online shop, they are a bit lazy when it comes to having to look for information. So when they see they have to dig through thread after thread, they get really turned off by the idea and end up looking elsewhere for a similar item they were looking for.

Just some tips and ideas that I have run into. Also, telling people about the possible bad situation you are in isn't going to get you sales any faster. It's not fair to people to try and get them to buy things out of sympathy. Buyers trust what you say. I have found that people are more likely to buy from you if you are happy and upbeat. You can't let the negative into any of it :) And believe me, I know about bad situations. Share a house with my parents, splitting bills 3 ways. Mum had an emergency surgery in august, shortly after that dad hurt his back at work and cant work, and due to people dragging their feet dad hasn't gotten his lost wages check. He's been without a check for 6 weeks, we have rent to pay on monday, and we are 3 months behind on electric. I'm looking at having to get another full time job just to make ends meet till he can find work. But I'm not letting any of that into things I say regarding my business :) I'm keeping everything regarding it positive

SeaVixen
09-29-2012, 05:31 AM
That stuff in your life has nothing to do with your shop and isn't the reason you opened. The reason I opened was to buy a new tail. This is a fundraiser. I figure by informing everyone of that it would help me out more instead of making them think I'm just collecting money for jewelry or something because I'm not. I have one goal. I don't have any idea why people would have to hunt and peck for info when all the updates and info is located in the accessories thread where the list of shops are. This is one thread here and classifieds simply saying I have a shop and provide the link. Anything else about it is in the correct thread and that was the first place I posted too. I know not everyone looks in the accessories thread but still like to buy accessories from stores. When I was new I never looked in accessories even though I bought accessories. I only discovered accessories when I decided to make them. I'm not sharing a story about how I can't pay bills. I'm sharing a story about how I'm raising money for a tail and no one supports me and its worse now since my shop isn't taking off after a month. This applies to my store not something completely irrelevant. I can never advertise too much because I can't expect to open my store and sit there and hope I get discovered because I'm one out of a million. I know this is the main place mermaids congregate and this is the best place to advertise. I know for me the more I see a link the more I get curious about it and click it. Personally when I see one ad I brush it off and not bother with it. This is supposed to be a community of support not tearing people down when they finally get the courage to do something way out of their comfort zone. I am naturally a very reserved person who doesn't go out a lot and this is a major step for me to do anything like this. This requires me to work with people which I never do so this is a huge stepping stone for me. I am a very shy and soft spoken person. I'm the one hiding in the back not saying a word and doesn't like to be called out or be center of attention and don't even know how to be. This is coming from a person who did speech class online because I didn't want to stand in front of people and deliver a speech. I'm that terrified. So this is Huge for me to actually sell things I made to the public. When someone lives in an environment of negativity it eventually leads to looking for support elsewhere in the community when I finally did decide to work with the public. I found a talent I didn't know I had and want to share it with the world is all. Now you can see why I'm so excited because this is nothing like I normally do. I was so hesitant to open and then finally pushed myself to do it. I guess keeping my mouth shut is what I should keep doing since it hurts me more than helps it seems. Sorry I'm annoying everyone.

Mermaid Narina
09-29-2012, 07:31 AM
I love the stuff your selling! <3 :thumbs-up:

Morticia Mermaid
09-29-2012, 12:56 PM
I wasn't trying to be rude or "tear you down" Vixen. I was only trying to help you not smash into the ground because there is such a thing as OVER ADVERTISING.

And I am going to leave it at that. You have no idea what I have lived through and I have no idea what you have lived through.

SeaVixen
09-29-2012, 03:35 PM
I wish people would make up their mind. First I'm told to advertise more and then told not to. Didn't think 3 posts would make me smash into the ground and updates on new things I made on the main thread. Guess I wont be posting nothing on here ever again. Ill just use my fb for updates on new things. Come visit me there if I haven't outcasted myself for being excited and facing my fears

SeaVixen
09-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Thank you natasha. Thank you for being nice :)

Morticia Mermaid
09-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Really? I was NOT attacking you Vixen. I was just trying to give you advice about things I have already gone through regarding an Etsy shop. I wasn't being mean, or rude or doing ANYTHING hurtful.

I love your stuff and if I had the money there are SEVERAL things I would buy. But as mermaid accessories are not my priority, I have to wait until I have the money to be able to buy them.

Forgive me for trying to give some friendly advice because I wanted to see another mer succeed.

SeaVixen
09-29-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm not angry or anything just won't talk about it anymore since no one wants to hear it. Since I can't remove threads I just erased it. I'm just excited about venturing beyond my comfort zone is all and hoped others would be excited with me. Guess I was looking for reassurance

Morticia Mermaid
09-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Vixen, You do some amazing work. And I know what its like to be excited. To have a TON of people telling you they would buy from you. I went through the a VERY similar experience. I recently started making tails, and I started a Kickstarter project in hopes that I could get some backers to help me get some new, and much needed, equipment. Like a new sewing machine, an air brush system, and a starting stock of supplies. I had SOOO many people tell me they would help me out, so I went with it. I was finally able to launch almost 2 weeks ago. I'm 12 days into my kickstarter, with 18 days to go, and I only have 1 backer. And all they pledge was $1. I know that feeling of disappointment. Feeling like all those people let you down. I apologize if I was sounding cruel or mean. I was not trying to be rude. Most of the time my words don't come out as I intend them because I am a severe dyslexic.

I also wanted to show you some support. I purchased a couple of your items I have been looking at getting when I had the money. I pulled some of the money out of my savings that I was saving to see my fiance, I haven't seen him in 2 years. I can't wait to get them. And when I can afford it, which probably wont be until either December or the beginning of next year, I hope to get a few more items. You have some great talent. Don't let others try to convince you that you don't. And no matter what, "just keep swimming". After all, its all us mers can do :)

SeaVixen
09-29-2012, 07:39 PM
You really didn't have to do that. I believed you when you said you didn't have the money. That's really nice of you and I'm packing them up as we speak. Joy filled my heart when I got the order email. Also when I tell people I hope they spread the word too. Word of mouth is a great tool and it spreads like wildfire because there might be mers not on here or other places I've advertised. I saw your shop and you have some nice things too! Wish I could make tails but I suck at that. Thank you

Morticia Mermaid
09-29-2012, 08:47 PM
I've been looking at them for a while, I wanted to get them before someone else did. I'm glad I was able to help you out. I also shared your facebook page on my shop page, my mermaid page and my personal page. I know quite a few people who love helping others. And generally if they see me share someones page, they share it too.

What you might try is building a kickstarter project. You wouldn't need a very high goal, just enough to get you some more supplies, pay for your listings, and maybe pay your boyfriend back what he put in for you to start. It's a great way to get out there and also possibly get some funding. I'd be more than happy to help you with it if you would like to get one going. Getting it worded right so it fits into the requirements can be a bit tricky. Kickstarter.com (http://kickstarter.com), check out the site and let me know what you think.

SeaVixen
09-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Does it cost anything to sign up? How does it work? I have more than enough supplies here since I'm not making anymore until I sell the ones I have made already. Etsy is pretty cheap to list things. Seems the only thing I need money for is that silicone tail. I need a total of $3500 and I have about $700 cash saved so far not including the etsy money I made. Didnt realize it takes this long to save that much. Been waiting for a new tail for 2 years though and see now it does take a long time because things come up to snatch the money away faster than you get it. Now Christmas is around the corner and there's another money snatcher. I wont touch my paypal though for that. Thought I would have enough by November but that's not happening

telzey.amberdon
09-30-2012, 12:55 AM
Passion is a gift that must be shared to grow. You have found something that you love and are Great!! at. Do not be disappointed that the world has not followed. The ones who share your loves will be there for you. PLEASE KEEP TRYING.

SeaVixen
09-30-2012, 01:29 AM
Thank you again for being my first customer. I really appreciated that and at least you know I'm a decent person and trustworthy. Hope your wife is enjoying her treasures! :) maybe things will pick up

Morticia Mermaid
10-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Just thought I would share a pic of the earrings I ordered. I love them Vixen :) Keep up the amazing work

SeaVixen
10-04-2012, 05:05 AM
Please post it to my Facebook too! Two reasons for making a Facebook, reason 1 was to show new items and give updates and to have a place to post pictures of everything I've done and reason 2 is so that people can communicate with me and post their thoughts and reviews and best of all their appreciation photos!! You look great in them! No doubt they went to a great new home. Glad you're enjoying them :D so exciting to get my first appreciation photo. That's the best part...seeing the items you made on someone else

Mermaid Fenicia
10-04-2012, 05:34 AM
your facebook page doesn't work :(

Morticia Mermaid
10-04-2012, 09:59 AM
:) I posted on both your facebook page and your etsy page. Added a photo on both. Will try to get a good picture of the hair clip later today once I am off work

SeaVixen
10-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Its only available to US residents. I'm sorry. Its difficult to go through the customs process and some things aren't allowed in other countries. Don't want to risk anything being rejected. If it was easier and guaranteed to ship everything to other countries I would. Shipping costs vary too. Here in the US I got an idea of what it costs to ship. I've never mailed anything to other countries before so I wouldn't even know how to go about doing it either. Sincerely apologize for that

SeaVixen
10-04-2012, 11:59 PM
That's strange I don't see the picture on my Facebook. Maybe it didn't go through. Only the review is there. I hate all these changes they've been making on Facebook lately. Messes everything up!

Morticia Mermaid
10-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Weird. I can see it. Try changing the posts view to posts by others. It's at the top of the page between the header and where the posts are

SeaVixen
10-05-2012, 01:45 AM
Still not there....thats really strange. This is what I see

Morticia Mermaid
10-05-2012, 10:00 AM
There. Hopefully it works this time. I uploaded it right to the page :) Let me know if it works

SeaVixen
10-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Yes it works now. Fantastic :)