PDA

View Full Version : Your fav inspirational quotes?

AniaR
09-05-2012, 06:34 PM
I just shared one of my favs on my page, I want to know what your favs are & why you find them inspirational!

“For Attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
 For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
 For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
 For beautiful hair, let a child run their fingers through it once a day.
 For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone.
  People, more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms.
 As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself and the other for helping others.”
― Sam Levenson

I have this one on my real wall. It reminds me every day when I get up what my priorities are. I actually have had kids play with my hair at work and I always think of this haha. Though I don't look so pretty when they're done! I love quote that challenge the modern idea of "beauty". I see so much beauty in acts of kindness and integrity.

Morticia Mermaid
09-05-2012, 07:24 PM
"Whatever people do, feel, think, or say, don't take it personally. Others are going to have their own opinion according to their belief system, so whatever they think about you is not about you, but about them. ~ Don Miguel Ruiz

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.” Buddha quotes (Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta, the founder of Buddhism, 563-483

"To Try is to allow for Failure to be an Option." ~Audreanna Norris (AKA ~Mermaid Lexia~)

All of these mean a lot to me and have helped me in one way or another. At one point in time in my life, I took everything that everyone said personally. I knew they weren't talking about me, but I still took it personally. The second helped me to find information out for myself. I grew up believing everything I was told. My biological father at one point had me convinced I was nothing and would never amount to anything. And yet here I am about to launch a Kickstarter to start my tail making. And the last, I came up with. Every time someone suggested I try something, and 9 times out of 10 I would fail. So I started telling myself that I wasn't going to try anymore, because obviously trying was allowing myself the option to fail. And I was done failing.

Merman Dan
09-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Off the top of my head...

"Thinking outside the box might be facilitated by having a somewhat less intact box" - Dr. Fredrik Ullén

"That we would do, we should do when we would." - Shakespeare

"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai

"Life is so strange, when you don't know your destination" - Missing Persons

"I yam what I yam." - Popeye

"The piano's world encompasses glass-nerved virtuosi and stomping barrel-housers in fedoras; it is a world of pasture and storm, of perfumed smoke, of liquid mathematics." - Kenneth Miller

"You see that house? That is where I was born. My mother said to me, 'Garcon. The world is a beautiful place, and you must spread joy and contentment everywhere you go'. And so I became a waiter... Well, I know it is not a great philosophy but..." [pauses, looks offended] "Well, #$@* you. I can live my life in my own way if I want to." [begins to walk away in disgust] "#$@* off. Don't come following me." - The Meaning of Life

AniaR
09-05-2012, 08:58 PM
ooh I also like the one, I think it's from Winston churchill "If you're going through hell... keep going!"

Ayla of Duluth
09-05-2012, 09:09 PM
This is more of a poem than a quote, but I really like it nonetheless.

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be critical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.

Alveric
09-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- George Carlin

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Azurin Luna
09-06-2012, 01:42 AM
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss" I forgot who said it.

"Your imagination is your only limit" by me

I like both because it shows that you should never give up with what you do, even if your idea is crazy for others it remains your own dream.

Morticia Mermaid
09-06-2012, 10:26 AM
“If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.”

― Mahatma GandhiI feel that everyone should always believe in themselves. I know I believe in myself :)

AniaR
09-06-2012, 10:35 AM
these are all wonderful <3