PDA

View Full Version : Almost There!!!

Mermaid Marissa
09-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Hey guys I started making my shell top to go with my fish butts I got early this summer. I will post more "in progress" photos later because my camera is once again not working :mad: (stupid piece of junk). BUT I also repainted my tail!! (more before and after pictures and tales about that)

Here is my "almost done" picture of my top (I took it on my phone so it might look bad :p

Blondie
09-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Oooh pretty beads!

Mermaid Marissa
09-05-2012, 08:45 PM
thanks! I got them on sale at Tom Thumb :D

Mermaid Marissa
09-05-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm also going to add fabric straps because I didn't have enough netting and I think it would look cool if the netting hung down to the sides. Don't know what color I'll make the bands yet (open to suggestions though I would like a color that could go with a bunch of different tails)

AniaR
09-05-2012, 08:55 PM
fun!

Mermaid Marissa
09-09-2012, 05:54 PM
thanks Raina! I'm trying to figure out how to get the lion paws to stay on :mad: they keep... not sticking!... ugg I'm gonna try some sealant next

Mermaid Fenicia
09-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Maybe you can drill some small wholes in the shells and sew them on by those wholes ;) That's hat I would do ;)

Sea Pearl
09-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Looking great :)I love all the beads hanging down.

Lyna
09-09-2012, 09:55 PM
very well done

FreshWaterMermaid
09-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Are you planning on putting the lions paw outside or inside the netting? I bet either would look great!
And yeah definitely (carefully) drill some holes in those buggers to really tie them down. Then you can use some glue to seat it nicely against the fabric.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Winged Mermaid
09-12-2012, 11:43 PM
thanks Raina! I'm trying to figure out how to get the lion paws to stay on :mad: they keep... not sticking!... ugg I'm gonna try some sealant next

Gorilla glue! I used that for mine and they haven't budged! I had netting between the shell and the bra too. Just coat the inside of the shells then stick them on there and position them the way you want. You need to clamp them to get it to adhere though. I didn't do clamps- I just wore the bra and instead of holding the shells in place tight while it dried I laid chest down on my bed and watched some TV until it dried. BE CAREFUL though! Some of the glue oozed out and ran down and well.. I ended up gluing myself to my blanket and the netting to my sin >_< Came off alright, but yeah! Check every few minutes, because the glue will wipe off fine when it's still wet!

Winged Mermaid
09-12-2012, 11:45 PM
And yeah definitely (carefully) drill some holes in those buggers to really tie them down.

PLEASE read up on precautions for this before you do it! The best way to drill shells is when they are submerged in water. Otherwise you'd need a fancy respirator because shell dust can be toxic!!

FreshWaterMermaid
09-13-2012, 12:04 AM
PLEASE read up on precautions for this before you do it! The best way to drill shells is when they are submerged in water. Otherwise you'd need a fancy respirator because shell dust can be toxic!!

definitely a good idea Iona doing it in some water, that'll keep the drill bit cool too, as last time I drilled holes in some shells, the bit would get pretty hot.

Mermaid Marissa
09-13-2012, 07:21 PM

That's what I was going to ask about next... I thought drills couldn't get wet? (and my Dad is an architect so I'm pretty sure I'm set but I just wanna be sure)

Winged Mermaid
09-13-2012, 07:43 PM
That's what I was going to ask about next... I thought drills couldn't get wet? (and my Dad is an architect so I'm pretty sure I'm set but I just wanna be sure)

There are pages of info on this if you google a bit. Basically though you have the shell in a plastic dish of water, submerged, then you put the drill BIT ONLY into the water and drill through it. So make sure the drill bit is long enough that it is the only thing that goes into the water when you're drilling. You may have to adjust the position of the bit in the drill to get it long enough, as well as secure. The water keeps the dust from going into the air and into your lungs. I'd still wear a mask just in case, and also safety wear for your eyes in case of splashes. If you do a lot of shells change out the water as you go. Make sure to clean your work area well after, and also the sink you pour the water down (rinse well). I'd designate that plastic dish to crafty things and not use it for eating again.