PDA

View Full Version : I know there are Broadway fans here... Let's share out our favorites!

Angel the Little Merman
09-05-2012, 10:16 PM
I'm really excited for the Broadway premiere of Rebecca which is coming in October, I love the score in Germany and it's has the most amazing set while the theatre community are having mixed feelings about it, I do see it as a return to era of the European musicals such as Cats, Phantom, Miss Saigon, Les Mis, and Starlight Express.

While Les Mis and Starlight Express captured my interest to stage, the one that made me revisit that emotion was Frank Wildhorn's misunderstood musical Wonderland, yes the show got overtaken by the Nederlanders for it's Broadway bow and change the entire plot and of course it flop badly, but I still believe in the show's heartfelt message of keeping the child alive inside of you and no matter what happens in life you always find Wonderland in it. To me being young at heart and trying to overcome the heart ships of our world I think the show captures that also seeing an imaginary world from a adult's point of view.

Now fellow mers do you have a favorite musical that got you very dearly? If so, do share!:D

Blondie
09-05-2012, 10:41 PM
I've seen Les Mis movies and my school's play of it. I love the play but I've never seen the Broadway live :\

My favorite is Wicked. I cannot tell you how spellbound I was after that show. I almost bought another ticket to see it again the following week!
I had only listened to the soundtrack of Wicked in middle school because my friend was so into it. I LOVED the songs, then we saw it in our freshman year of high school. Oh. My. God. Talk about the biggest twist of a story. I NEVER saw any of that coming in the play. The dancing and props are fantastic. I just am speechless after seeing it.

I've also seen the Lion King, which was very entertaining. It's a bit of a let down because I know how the play goes and ends because well we've all see the movie right? But the dancing and props are wild and out of this world. The circle of life entrance just gives me the chills!

My list of plays to see are, Hairspray, Chicago, Mama Mia, Les Mis, Newsies, and Phantom of the Opera. It just keeps growing!

Angel the Little Merman
09-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Wicked is a good one saw it early last year love every minute of it, also seen Lion King, and Phantom three times.

Blondie
09-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Man! If I had more money/time I'd invest it in plays...

AniaR
09-05-2012, 11:26 PM
While I've never seen Broadway in person, I've enjoyed watching the recordings of
Sweeney Todd
West Side Story
Jesus Christ Superstar
Peter Pan

and Id love to see the Book of Mormon- it's got great reviews!

Angel the Little Merman
09-05-2012, 11:28 PM
All of those show Raina are pure classics and Book of Mormon is now on that list.

Mermaid Arianna
09-05-2012, 11:52 PM
I saw mama mia when it came to portland last year it was so much fun and it was a really great performance :)

happyguava
09-06-2012, 12:31 AM
Music theatre freak right here!! I love going to see theatre, I get involved in as many shows as I can and a lot of what I teach at work is musical theatre too.

My favourite shows, off the top of my head:
Into The Woods (just finished playing Rapunzel, it was so fangirly as it's my favourite show!!)
[title of show]
The Secret Garden
Sweeney Todd
A New Brain
Les Mis
Avenue Q

There are loads of others, these just spring to mind immediately :)

Kanti
09-06-2012, 12:40 AM
I like Avenue Q xD
I wanted to see Wicked really bad but I remember it was crazy expensive.

I haven't seen the broadways but I like musicals
I LOVED The Producers~

Sea Pearl
09-06-2012, 12:54 AM
I love musicals!
So far my favorite would have to be Phantom of the Opera. I've loved that story forever and last year when I was back in England for my 21st birthday, my dad took me down to London to see it. I loved everything about phantom before then, but now it makes me love that musical even more :)

I'd love to see:
Wicked
Les Mis
Sweeney Todd
Mamma Mia
Just found out too that they are now putting on The BodyGuard the Musical. (That could be interesting!)

Angel the Little Merman
09-06-2012, 01:02 AM
I heard about that too, I also heard they're doing a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory musical in London as well, this will be the fourth stage version of the original book.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
09-06-2012, 01:31 PM
I've seen Les Miserables, Beauty and the Beast, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Wicked, Thoroughly Modern Millie and several others that aren't coming to mind right now for some reason.

Mermaid Fenicia
09-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Ive seen the dutch version of Les Miserables and Cats and the Disney short version of the Lion King at Disney Resort Paris.

Angel the Little Merman
09-06-2012, 05:54 PM
I love the Dutch album of Les Miserables, I already order the Dutch album for The Little Mermaid, heard the score very different than Broadway.

Capt Nemo
11-01-2012, 12:05 AM
Let's see....I've worked on

Phantom x3
Les Mis x 3 tours 1 local
Miss Saigon x 2
Mamma Mia x 6
Superstar x 12 local x 3 tours
Godspell x 4
Fourm x 3 local 1 tour
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Cats x 6
Rock of Ages
Beauty and the Beast x 3
Lion King
Wicked x 2
King and I
Oaklahoma x 2
Fiddler
Hairspray
Oliver x 2 local 1 tour
Into the Woods
Annie 1 tour 2 local
All Shook Up!
Little Shop 1 tour 2 local
Suessical
Peter Pan x 3

The rest is lost in the fog of war after 20+ years as a professional stagehand.

Spindrift
11-01-2012, 12:31 PM
I love the costumes but haven't had a chance to see very much of musical theater in person (although I've definitely seen a lot of the movie versions of ones previously mentioned).

Here are ones I have seen in person:

Phantom of the Opera (Vegas)
Avenue Q (Singapore, NYC)
Addams Family (NYC) <- Favorite so far

Lois
11-05-2012, 11:07 AM
I have never seen a broad way show but I love musicals and have been to the westend loads. I've seen wicked 3 times I think, but Les Mis is my absolute favourite and I cant wait to go again - it just costs loads more. I was really in to musical theatre when I was younger but i havent been in a show for ages...some scary uni auditions have realy put me off :( so for now im just enjoying being in the audience :D

Mermaid Caidence
11-06-2012, 12:40 AM
War Horse (NYC)
Anything Goes (NYC)
I also saw a couple of other shows

Ashe
11-06-2012, 12:52 AM
I saw Wicked a few years back, really good, and apparently saw Lion King when i was 4 or 5... I don't remember anything, but I would love to see that again though!

Mermaid Kiba
11-07-2012, 03:27 PM
The Phantom of the Opera is my absolute favorite. I love it to the point of having hosted costumed singalongs a long long time ago (ivoryleopard came to the first one). I tried to find some pics to share with you but I'm not having any success right now. I've seen it live on tour 3 times, went to the movie theater when they did the simulcast from the Royal Albert Hall, have that on Blu-Ray, and *gag* saw the movie. (If you love the movie, let's just agree to disagree and not speak of it ever again.)

My other favorite is The Book of Mormon, which I think in terms of narrative, structure, and music is the perfect musical. I saw it in previews with the original cast. Such an amazing experience! I can't wait until its tour comes here.