PDA

View Full Version : Wig wearing while swimming?

Mermaid Harmony
09-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Hello all! I was curious as to if anyone wore a wig or hair extensions of any type while swimming. I have blue streaks in my hair now that I love, but I may have to take them out, I found an awesome blue wig (http://www.etsy.com/listing/99327418/light-blue-long-curly-synthetic-wig) and was wondering if anyone wore a wig or had tips on swimming in one.
Love,
Aj Rose

Mermaid Fenicia
09-06-2012, 03:21 PM
I've been swimming with a wig. I sewn in a special cord (small ribbon) so it stays on. You can see the pics of me as Ariel, Misty and Coco (all 3 with a wig) in my gallery ;)

Spindrift
09-06-2012, 04:46 PM
@MermaidFenicia: Do you happen to style or make any wigs yourself? I'm looking for a good wefting tutorial to combine two wigs together. Can you recommend me any?

Mermaid Fenicia
09-06-2012, 04:54 PM
I just buy a wig that is closed to what I want and style it for dry events. Just make sure that you got a real quality wig not a party wig.

AniaR
09-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Ive seen several mers swim in wigs and I dont know how they do it!

LittleTreasure
09-06-2012, 10:28 PM
I've been wondering about this lately as well. I have a beautiful long wig I want to try wearing in the water but the issues with that, of course, are keeping it on, whether it's safe for the hair (mine's synthetic) and how to make it look more realistic when the wefting around the hairline is a little...blech. Anybody have an answer? I am also trying to figure out how I'd style it. I'm thinking a braid of some kind. Don't want horrible tangles! o.O

Mermaid Lohgan
09-06-2012, 10:58 PM
@MermaidFenicia: Do you happen to style or make any wigs yourself? I'm looking for a good wefting tutorial to combine two wigs together. Can you recommend me any?

Wefting two wigs together is very easy! Here is a tutorial that I found a very long time ago and still use it's method to this day. It's very very easy. If you have any problems or questions I can easily help you with that! Wig styling is a small specialty of mine. http://kricketcostumes.com/combining-two-wigs-into-one/

As for keeping a wig on underwater that can be complicated. I definitely agree with Mermaid Fenicia's special cord, that sounds amazing! I also know some people sew the wig weft to their own hair (by round corn roll method.) There is also wig glue (for laced wigs), but I don't know how that works underwater. I usually distribute a LOT of bobby pins throughout the wig to keep it in place. It works in water, but you have to use A LOT of bobby pins. No joke. Like a pack, because the water can become too heavy for the synthetic fiber and your wig will float away as you are swimming. :) (first hand experience on that one.)

XD

NerineArcticMermaid
09-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Ask Alasea..she does write under water alot

Mermaid Bella
09-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Also check out katie bair's no sew wefts. that woman has saved me from my wig exploits so many times. All I can say about wearing wigs underwater is: the longer the hair the quicker and worse the tangle. it may be a one use only thing unless you're committed to basically restoring your wig each time, also unless you're swimming in fresh water you're going to end up with a degridated wig no matter how much work you do on restoration. and remember, if its made of seran you better be a sindy doll. if you found it cheap in a dollar store... its cheap and worth a dollar.... ;)

Mermaid Fenicia
09-28-2012, 05:23 PM
I use silicone-spray on all my wigs before I style/use them. It helps t untangled them easy and keep them nice a lot longer ;)

Spindrift
09-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Wefting two wigs together is very easy! Here is a tutorial that I found a very long time ago and still use it's method to this day. It's very very easy. If you have any problems or questions I can easily help you with that! Wig styling is a small specialty of mine. http://kricketcostumes.com/combining-two-wigs-into-one/

Thanks! Definitely checking this out.

LalaGaver
06-04-2014, 03:55 AM
Hair extensions and hairpieces really can help to improve the looking of people and help to change them a lot hair extensions and hairpieces if choosing the right type and right style of hair wigs for you, of course that you will look and become more and more attractive and also buy cheap hair wigs now is easy as you can just get the ideal style that you want online at online shops now. I have just buy me a long blue wigs and it is perfect.

Seatan
07-20-2014, 05:12 PM
I am a huge wig fan (pixie cut at work, long locks whenever I feel like it!), and I spend a lot of timing looking for good quality wigs. I just wanted to share a site that is GREAT for getting wigs if any of you are looking for a good wig to wear when mermaiding or just in general. It's caller Cysterwigs, (http://cysterwigs.com) and not only does it have great deals for REALLY nice synthetic wigs (the high end kind that really look like real hair and are considered "medical grade"), but the owner of the company, Heather, does YouTube reviews for TONS of the wigs. They are totally honest (God bless small business owners), and really help you understand what you are getting when you buy the wig. Just wanted to share the site for any fellow wig lovers out there!