PDA

View Full Version : Dol-Fin Monofin Reviews?

Kanti
09-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Does anyone have the dol-fin monofin?

6159This one to be exact

I'm considering getting one but I'm not sure yet.
I really like how it's big and stiff but I'd like to hear from someone who has one.

How thick is this monofin?
About how wide is it?
Is it really heavy?
Does it bend at all or is it really stiff?

Winged Mermaid
09-08-2012, 11:23 PM
I know Anita (Freckled Kisses) has one, I can see if I can poke her over here ;)

That being said I used it a bit at a Cali Pod meeup. You can see Anita, myself, and Sirenade all using it in this album: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.376303639107857.85824.375567172514837&type=3
There's also a video of me swimming it in here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frLILXi3_Hg

How thick is this monofin?
About how wide is it?
Is it really heavy?
Does it bend at all or is it really stiff?

-Really thick! I don't have measurements because I don't own it. It's 3D in shape rather than being flat like most other monofins. The shape of course being like a dolpin's tail. Very curvy and smooth.
-In the fist picture in the album, you can see that it's pretty wide- about as wide as a Rapid.
-Compared to other monofins, yes, it's heavy. It's thick and completely solid. If I didn't move my arms or try and hover in it (which it's not nearly as easy to do as in other fins IMO) then it would weigh me down into the water.
-It doesn't bend at all- it's stiff and solid.

She uses her in a neoprene tail that has a lycra fabric sewn on. She says she really likes the monofin! Just keep in mind it's going to be different from any other monofin you've used.

Hope this helps!

Kanti
09-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Thanks Winged!
It looks like a really fun monofin, and I see it's only $79 apparently so it's not
too bad I suppose.

One more question if you don't mind, does it propel well through the water?

New York Mermaid
09-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Finally back after being sick,

I have one as well, Its about 27 inches long from tip to tip and 9 inches high not including the straps, it is a little heavy, nothing too bad, I've had it for about 3 / 4years now.

It does move well (well for me anyway, i can move pretty well) But it does take some getting use to. I do love the way i feel when i use it. I might actually use it for another fishbutt..lol

lol when i got it way back when. http://twitpic.com/2b2t8l

Kanti
09-09-2012, 02:06 AM
Thanks Lanaei!

And yea, I was wondering where you had been xD

Azurin Luna
09-09-2012, 02:11 PM
I have this monofin and used in both my tails, one leaving the fin exposed because I really liked the shape of it. I don't have the trouble of it weighing me down and can easily float at the surface even without tail on. When I was at Curacao I used it on our snorkel trip.
I've never used a different monofin so I can't compare in speed, but I can get pretty fast in it and only with a few movements cross the length of the pool. I did notice however that if you make your kick wrong it wobbles a little around your feet and that if you don't wear socks or neoprene booties you get blisters on the top of your feet.

Other then that, I really love them and I don't think I would change to a different monofin quickly unless it doesn't fit with the style of the tail.

Lyna
09-09-2012, 07:59 PM
i like the shape just because it's so different than what you typically see on mers. i love that everyone is starting to make their own unique styles in tails and it's like this sudden evolution of the species. 5 years ago, you had one tail. and the only thing that differed was the flat solo color of it. :)

Kanti
09-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Yea I really like this monofin, I think a dolphin tail would be really cute and this may even work
for a swordfish or marlin style tail if you really wanted.

I just really wanted a hard, still monofin since I already have a softer blade. I also don't want to
dish out the $200 for a competitor o_o

Ayla of Duluth
09-09-2012, 09:10 PM
competitors jumped up in price by 20 bucks now

Kanti
09-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Bleh even worse.
I might get one later on but for now I really wanna try this monofin

Azurin Luna
09-09-2012, 11:58 PM
The company was really nice too, as I live on the otherwise of the world for them I wanted to know what the postage was. I got an email back with an estimation just a day later. When he sent it it came out a little more then he estimated it, but he didn't make much trouble about it and even told me to leave the extra cost, I didn't though.