PDA

View Full Version : Austin Texas based

Mermaid Citrine
08-02-2011, 04:53 PM
I live in Austin....any other Austin merpeople?

Taylor is a Mermaid
08-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Hi Citrine! Good to see you on the new board. I am not in Austin, but I think I heard someone else is near Austin. I wish I could remember who...

taom
08-06-2011, 12:30 AM
Yes! I'm south of Austin! Hi!

MermaidAubrin
08-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Im in Austin :)

Firemaid
07-11-2012, 12:21 AM
I'm in Austin!!!

Lyna
07-11-2012, 02:00 AM
I'll be nearby soon!

Sea Specter
07-21-2012, 10:35 PM
I'm in Austin as well :} has anyone ever tried swimming in Lake Travis?

amcr420williams
07-23-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm in Austin, North Austin, age 26.

Lyna
08-14-2012, 02:58 AM
wow. so many mers in Austin! I'm stoked! I need to add all of you on here and FB so we can get to know each other and plan a meet up when I get down there....
http://www.facebook.com/catz.tatz

Mermaid~Summer
07-16-2013, 09:24 PM
I'm moving to San Antonio in January. I would love to meet up with some fellow Mers :) I'm hoping to be able to get a MerBellas tail next year *Fingers Crossed* then I can finally feel like a Real Mermaid. I'm making a fabric tail this summer but it's not the same as having a realistic silicone tail.

Stillwater
07-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Not quite in Austin, but close enough to drive. Granted, that is true for some of the eastern parts of this state. Austin, San Antonio, Houston, and Galveston are all reasonable drives.

SomethingFishy
08-15-2013, 11:09 PM
Hi! I'm moving up to Austin in a couple days. :) Just poking around to see if there were any Austin merpeople! My name's Austin. I'm actually in the process of making my first silicone tail. I wanted it to be complete by the time I got moved in but I just shattered my scale mold to pieces so... :doh: I guess I won't be meeting my deadline. Oh well! I was thinking if I keep having issues with my silicone tail making skills, maybe we could have an educational meet up with someone Austin based who knows their way around those kinds of things?

Lyna
08-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Hi Austin! Mermaid Citrine who started this thread is no longer in this pod. She moved in July back to Hawaii, but there are still several of us left. I am about an hour north of Austin myself. Feel free to add me as a friend and shoot me a message if you like. And that goes for all of you beautiful Texas Pod members that I have still yet to meet!

JamesGunnels
10-26-2013, 02:47 AM
I live in Hyde Park!!!

Naufra
01-28-2014, 12:17 AM
I'm a little north of Austin, out in Leander. If someone were to organize a meetup of our local mers, I would definitely want to go. ^_^

mermaid_ashes
01-29-2014, 09:52 AM
Oh, yeah me. Im in austin too.

Kaila Mermaid
01-29-2014, 11:30 PM
Hello,
I live in Boerne, which isn't all that far from Austin. I'd be more than willing to do a meetup.

suire
02-01-2014, 02:28 AM
Yay! So many of us! I'm currently in north Austin

theredknight100
09-05-2014, 02:36 AM
hey im an kind of an merman at heart but sadly don't have an tail :( I live outside of Austin in the south "so that makes me from south Austin xD" im from Buda Tx :)

deletedaccount
09-07-2014, 08:18 AM
I'm in Houston and able to make the drive for a meet!

JamesGunnels
01-03-2015, 09:50 PM
I am still currently trying to gather up some cash to make my silicone tail...we'll see how this all goes =/

Appellativo
01-03-2015, 10:43 PM
Im new here and would love to have a meetup when things warm up. I dont know of anyplace to meet except perhaps barton springs. Its 68 degree water year round. But its very pretty with super visibility and various depths up to 16 feet. I went in summer and i thought i was going to die, the water was so cold, but once you start swimming, its very tolerable! I just have a fabric tail but Id love to have company! Whoever is up for it, reply here and Ill organize something this summer!!

JamesGunnels
01-04-2015, 06:12 PM
62 actually ;-) and they don't allow any kind of monofins or closed ancle swimming etc, but it is great place to meet.

Appellativo
01-04-2015, 06:38 PM
WHAAAAT?!? Thats a bummer!! Well where does everyone go swim? For right now Im using a heated rec center lap pool...want to find some nice local spots.

JamesGunnels
01-04-2015, 09:55 PM
meh, Hamilton pool doesn't have any kind of rules against it that I know of, but the water there is so murky. Maybe lake Travis? There are a few places in Austin or surrounding areas that we could check out.

Appellativo
01-05-2015, 11:34 AM
Lets do it (when it gets warmer). Im sorta shy about wearing my tail cover. For sure will use monofins and freedive fins when im not using it, though! I always forget about Hamilton pool, I need to go there...

LauraLWatson
01-05-2015, 12:32 PM
A Texas wide meet up has just been planned for June 6 and 7 in the Corpus Christi area. There is a thread under Pod of Texas called Coastal mermaid meetup. You can find the details as they emerge there. Hope you all can come! I'll be driving through Austin on my way there and back, so if anyone wants to hitch a ride, let me know. Alas, I can't offer a place to stay. I'm staying with a friend and her zoo (kids+ animals= zoo.)

Mermaid Kiku
01-07-2015, 09:28 PM
I'm Round Rock area and can travel to just about anywhere in Austin (when work permits). I'm super new but eager to jump in! Maybe we can all gather somewhere to just meet for fun when it won't be so cold out? brrrr~~

Appellativo
01-08-2015, 07:01 AM
hi kiku, im Erin. I swim at Clay Madsen Rec Center (heated pool) for $15/month. if you want to meet up and swim in monofins, let me know!!

Mermaid Kiku
01-09-2015, 01:50 PM
Thanks Erin! I had no idea that place had an indoor pool! I wish their hours were better suited to my work schedule. I currently go to the NW Austin Lifetime Fitness location because their pools are open 24 hours. They'd be too pricey for me if the pool was all I used.

Since I can't make the Coastal meet-up (even though I really REALLY want to!), I did some research for anyone local to the Austin-ish area:

http://www.realtyaustin.com/austin-swimming-holes.php#3

I don't know if Deep Eddy will let monofins and tails in. Red Bud Isle looks like it might cause twigs to stick us in very uncomfortable places. Twin Falls and McKinney Falls look nice and deep for tails but clear enough that sight wouldn't be too hindered. St. Edward's Park is also within city limits but looks like it might be nicer for a small friendly gathering rather than full-tail fun. :)

I wish Barton Springs would allow tails. It'd be perfect! The rocks and clear water make it pretty ideal. Maybe we could ask for special times that are less public-heavy that maybe they'd make an exception?

Appellativo
01-09-2015, 08:37 PM
What times do you go swimming? Can I get a day pass and join you once? Do you swim in your tail there, or just a fin? I'll have to check out some of those places you mentioned, and also call them. It is frustrating just how many places you can swim that WONT let you have a monofin or tail. Defeats the WHOLE PURPOSE!!!

Kaila Mermaid
01-10-2015, 09:48 PM
Also, for Austin are, Krause Springs was the locale of last years meet up and it's gorgeous

AmbrGlows
01-15-2015, 03:52 AM
62 actually ;-) and they don't allow any kind of monofins or closed ancle swimming etc, but it is great place to meet.

No where on the site for Barton Springs information does it say monofins are prohibited. The following is the Prohibited List from the webpage (http://austintexas.gov/department/barton-springs-pool) ::
Prohibited Items and Activities

Coolers, ice chests and thermal bags
Food
Smoking
Glass
Alcohol
Frisbees, footballs, soccer balls or other hard balls
Drinks are permitted but must be in a plastic re-sealable container with a twist-top lid

AmbrGlows
01-15-2015, 03:55 AM
What times do you go swimming? Can I get a day pass and join you once? Do you swim in your tail there, or just a fin? I'll have to check out some of those places you mentioned, and also call them. It is frustrating just how many places you can swim that WONT let you have a monofin or tail. Defeats the WHOLE PURPOSE!!!

I've learned it's best to also get permission in written format so you can print it and have it on hand.

JamesGunnels
01-22-2015, 11:01 PM
No where on the site for Barton Springs information does it say monofins are prohibited. The following is the Prohibited List from the webpage (http://austintexas.gov/department/barton-springs-pool) ::
Prohibited Items and Activities

Coolers, ice chests and thermal bags
Food
Smoking
Glass
Alcohol
Frisbees, footballs, soccer balls or other hard balls
Drinks are permitted but must be in a plastic re-sealable container with a twist-top lid

I was told by someone at the spring that we couldn't o_O So unless he was just being a dick, then I dunno why he told me that. I'd love to meet up there if possible. It's one of my favorite places to go.

AmbrGlows
01-22-2015, 11:20 PM
If it was just a lifeguard that is possible. I had a lifeguard tell me that once and I told her 1 it's not listed as a restricted item on the water park's website & 2 I have a note from the managers saying I can swim in my tail. She shut up after that. I think sometimes they get bored if they have nothing to do.

JamesGunnels
01-23-2015, 05:54 PM
Yeah, it was a lifeguard. I dunno. I am going to order my monofin in about 2 minutes...so, I want to use it there.

Jade Shadows
01-31-2015, 10:23 PM
I live an hour from Austin I am by fort hood, this is jennfer mermaid citrine...hope I can get up with you and maybe meet up and see if you can help me out, and mabye work for you as a mermaid for partys etc...I really want to do this I can sew on sequins to my latex tail I just need to know how you do it by had and where do you get the sequins, do they have to be a certain size, and what size, how long does it talk u to do the body part of the tail I do need a monofin and someone to help me put it in between the fluke I have some how and make it thicker, please let me know I am begging for a shot to join a merpod to do fun things with and make some money,,,

JamesGunnels
01-31-2015, 10:38 PM
I don't think most people do it for the money...

Mermaid Enora
01-31-2015, 10:56 PM
Take a look at the tail making threads in the forums. Tons of info on how to make all kinds of tails.

AmbrGlows
02-01-2015, 12:02 PM
I do it for the love of it. I do hope to do parties and such this summer but I plan on donating a good chunk to local children's charities.

Mermaid Kiku
02-03-2015, 06:57 PM
I say we double-check (about monofins/tails for Barton Springs) for either the warmer months for a swim or just a friendly meetup, tails included/excluded. It's a great place in general. I'll see about giving them a call soon and post what I find out. :)

AmbrGlows
02-03-2015, 07:02 PM
I say we double-check (about monofins/tails for Barton Springs) for either the warmer months for a swim or just a friendly meetup, tails included/excluded. It's a great place in general. I'll see about giving them a call soon and post what I find out. :)
If they say tails and monofins are allowed be sure to have them email you saying the same thing so you have it in print.

JamesGunnels
02-05-2015, 09:58 AM
If they say tails and monofins are allowed be sure to have them email you saying the same thing so you have it in print.

did they say they were allowed...? We went swimming on the free side of Barton yesterday. I went to try out my new monofin. Sadly, the water was much colder than normal, almost to the point to where it actually hurt :/

MermaidRaegan
11-18-2015, 12:42 PM
Am I now the lone Austin Mer, or do we still have a few mers swishing about?

Naufra
11-18-2015, 08:48 PM
I'm fairly close, in Leander.

theredknight100
11-24-2015, 09:38 PM
Am I now the lone Austin Mer, or do we still have a few mers swishing about?

I think thare are a few mers around Austin :) I happen to be outside of Austin in buda texas but I don't have a tail or anything :P

Kaila Mermaid
12-01-2015, 02:34 PM
This mer is possibly thinking of moving to Bastrop, and either way I frequent that area ;P