PDA

View Full Version : Sculpting Tails! And advice most needed~

Celia
09-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Most treasured Mermaidens and Merlads,

A few months ago, I got around to drawing the rough concepts for my tail. I actually planned on making it from Silicone, but after looking at the price figures for Dragonskin Silicone it was a kick in the fluke. Now, for a start, I was thinking of making the tail itself out of neoprene for starters, and painting it as needed. The tail is smooth, like a fish that lacks scales. Similar to a dolphins skin. I wanted to make the Fins 'fingers' (donno what else to call it. LOL) three dimensional, not flat. Does anyone know how I could do this? I don't really know of any fabrics I could sculpt, in that way. I was thinking of making the insides of the fins fingers out of Tin Cure silicone, and covering the outside with the neoprene. Would that be good enough? I really want this tail to look very realistic. Something I'm hoping I can achieve, because this tail isn't supposed to have scales anyways.

I was also planning on making the membrane of the fins out of silicone as well, so I could make the fins semi transparent, flexible and believable. Will a Tin cure Silicone or some other water safe, durable silicone be transparent? I'm actually after a semi transparent cloudy look, not a glassy clear one.

As far as the fins on the hands and arms go, I was planning on doing that later. The arms are different on both sides to show how the other arm would look bare, without the large membrane on it~

I was also planning on adding some glowing spots on the sides of the tail. My tails supposed to give off a deep sea fish feeling. I love deep sea fish. They're so beautiful and enchanting, not to mention super adorable. ;_;
I forgot to mention it'll be mostly a very dark grey, almost blackish. The membrane of the fins will be a mix of light to medium greys and very light greys. I'm thinking about adding a splash of colour somewhere but I'm not sure!

Thanks so much for the help <3

Mermaid Annariea
09-10-2012, 06:54 PM
hmm, i cant give much advice, since i dont know about this stuff, but if youre going to add color, i think it should be the membranes. make them like a dark green or blue. thatd be pretty cool. i cant wait to see how this will come out :D

Celia
09-10-2012, 07:24 PM
hmm, i cant give much advice, since i dont know about this stuff, but if youre going to add color, i think it should be the membranes. make them like a dark green or blue. thatd be pretty cool. i cant wait to see how this will come out :D

Dark blue sounds pretty sweet :D I'll keep that in mind. So many choices, how to decide! Dx

I was thinking of adding some colour to the tips of the membrane, but I'm not sure. I'll fiddle with it in photoshop later and start a new thread when I get down to making this after we have it all figured out here.