PDA

View Full Version : Kinda wacky idea

MountainMermaidBrooke
09-10-2012, 07:53 PM
I was playing with my daughter in her mini ball pit and I was looking closely at the balls. They have small pinholes at either end. I am going to test them further and see if my theory holds water. ((Haha)) If they were floated in a pool while performing, they might be able to help folks stay underwater longer by storing air. Just snatch one from the surface when you need it, suck on the pinhole and you are set. Like I said, its kinda crazy but I'll let you know how it turns out.

Mermaid Arianna
09-10-2012, 07:56 PM
just be careful

MountainMermaidBrooke
09-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Gonna test it out in the bathtub first. ^...^ I'll be careful.

Mermaid Saphira
09-10-2012, 08:09 PM
wow! what an idea O_o good luck and b careful!!

Mermaid Annariea
09-10-2012, 08:21 PM
thats actually kind of cool, they could be painted to look like giant pearls :D

MountainMermaidBrooke
09-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Just did some dry testing and they float just fine, my only complaint thus far is that the air holes are too tiny and when you try to find the pinholes its difficult. Also when you try to suck on the pinholes it compresses and collapses, making it difficult to draw a decent breath. Toying with the idea of small painted beach balls. Easy to find outlets, bite to release air valves and can be easily sterilized, painted or further customised.

Mermaid Arianna
09-10-2012, 09:06 PM
smart idea

AniaR
09-10-2012, 09:36 PM
it depends, are you blowing them up first with your breath? Because then it wouldn't be air it would be carbon dioxide.

Mermaid Annariea
09-10-2012, 09:52 PM
the way i figured it, theyd have either little plugs or something to close the little hole, and theyd fill with air and then be closed, so when you bring them down, you can just open them and suck the air out.
but itll have to be tested definitely.

MountainMermaidBrooke
09-11-2012, 02:39 AM
I would ertainly use a pump.

MountainMermaidBrooke
09-11-2012, 02:47 AM
Sorry. For whatever reason my phone is being derpy today. x.x I would use a pump for inflating them. That way I wouldn't be out of breath and wheezing like an old bitty before I even started. Lol. Still playing with the concept. It was just a strange idea that popped up out of nowhere and I needed mers to bouce it off of. Going out tomorrow/today to grab some mini beach balls. The local stores are trying to get rid of summer stock anyhow. I'll give it some more testing and I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

MountainMermaidBrooke
09-12-2012, 09:18 AM
So far so good. They collapse the way they need to, and although air release is better than the previous run, Its not where it should be as far as ease. Going to see if I can't makeshift a couple different types of air nozzles/releases. ^...^

Capt Nemo
09-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Go to my thread on Boyle's Law! You are breathing compressed air same as with scuba, and with all of it's dangers!

Moonsong
08-23-2013, 04:21 PM
I do this same thing with balloons. It works really well with them.