PDA

View Full Version : Remove Createx but not hurt ALEX?

Winged Mermaid
09-11-2012, 04:26 AM
So, in the process of modding my neoprin and ALEX Mertailor tail to make it swimmable. I repainted the thing over a year ago, and the first time it hit water the paint started coming off like CRAZY. Some of it just peeling away from the water alone, and when it made contact with the pool bottom/sides it came right off clean like there was never paint there.

So now that I want to fix this thing up, I need to get rid of the paint becuase something happened where it's obviously not stable on the ALEX. If I paint over top of it that paint won't stick on there either because the layer blow isn't right. Thing is, it doesn't seem to want to come off now that I want it to. Go figure, right? :P

I've read that both isopropyl alcohol and Windex will take paint off. I did a little googling and it didn't say anywhere that it would hurt latex or latex caulking. In fact there were people mixing windex and ALEX plus for things. I did a little test patch on my tail with the alcohol and the paint came off!

So HERE is the question: Is there any known reason that using either Windex or rubbing alcohol on ALEX Plus is a bad idea?

I want to make sure before I go spraying the stuff all over my tail. This tail has to last me until I can get my silicone tail so I want to make sure I'm not going to do any major damage.

AniaR
09-11-2012, 10:54 AM
I never used a solution to get some of my paint off, I just took a body brush to it (like one you'd use for feet) and a lot of it came off. The stuff that stayed on was strong enough to be painted over and not come off. I found when I had my mertailor tail building up layers of paint actually kinda worked- and when Mimi re-painted it she used so many multi-colours that whenever paint comes off there's usually another colour underneath it. Means she can go longer between re-paints.

Winged Mermaid
09-11-2012, 03:45 PM
I found when I had my mertailor tail building up layers of paint actually kinda worked- and when Mimi re-painted it she used so many multi-colours that whenever paint comes off there's usually another colour underneath it.

That's actually another reason why I want to get more of the paint off. Whenever the purple scrapes off it has green underneath, and it looks hideous when that happens!

Mermaid Crystal
09-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Maybe you can put on a bunch of purple layers! :crazy:

Winged Mermaid
09-11-2012, 04:50 PM
I would if the first purple layer wasn't unstable. You can't build on a rotten foundation and expect your house to hold up, ya know? Createx isn't cheap either. I just spent $30 (at the cheapest place I've found to get them) on what I hope will be enough will paint it well and touch ups for the next while. That isn't counting all the money I've already spent on the paints I have that I'm using up- more than $30 that's for sure. If I'm going to do this, I'm going to do it right! Better that then trying to fix it down the road- that would be ridiculously difficult, time consuming, and costly.

Mermaid Crystal
09-11-2012, 05:40 PM
True.....:crazy:

Capt Nemo
09-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Try stripping it with the alcohol you are using, then repaint using ALEX/paint/water mix.

Once the paint is mixed in the ALEX, it's locked into the material, so no heat setting needed. It will reduce the texture, so keep things to thin coats. ALEX/paint only mixes can be fingerpainted and can add texture.

Windex on any type of latex may be a bad idea. In liquid latex, ammonia prevents the sulfur from vulcanizing the latex. ALEX also contains some ammonia for this purpose. The ammonia in windex may break that chemical bond, and liquify the latex turning it to a gooey mess that won't reset.