PDA

View Full Version : Back Fin

Prince Calypso
09-11-2012, 07:32 PM
how would you or could you go about making a back finm for a mermaid tail.
something that not only goes down the back of the tail but up the spine as well.
I've really alwasy liked the idea of this type of fin
(also if you know that THIS TYPE OF FIN is called let me know cause i have no clue)

FreshWaterMermaid
09-11-2012, 08:07 PM
It's a dorsal fin and the best way would be sewing two together so they stand up against each other... kinda hard to explain, but at least you know what it's called now, so search away ^_^

Mermaid Saphira
09-11-2012, 08:18 PM
I am considerng this idea for a movie I plan to do in he future. I guess, if you were to make the tail out of latexor alex you could simply make it longer (to go up the spine) then spirt gum it to go along your spine? Let me know if this doesn't make sense XD

Prince Calypso
09-11-2012, 08:31 PM
what i was thinking was doing it the same way you make fairy wings out of celaphane and stuff like that then just somehow strapping it to your back

Prince Calypso
09-11-2012, 08:33 PM
who was the ermaid that made a stand up dorsal fin for her tail out of fabric, cellophane and grip ties cause i was thinking something along those lines

Bellasea
09-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Moonflower did and so did another member ^^^

Bellasea
09-11-2012, 09:40 PM
So did Azurin Luna. ^^

Azurin Luna
09-11-2012, 11:49 PM
My final version was made of soft PVC, 3 to 5 layers glued together with soft PVC glue, it's not strong enough to stand up on its own out of the water, but underwater it has a nice flow. I think that if I would have done it with the tie rips it might have been stiffer, but I wanted mine to be pool safe as that is were I swim the most.

Prince Calypso
09-13-2012, 02:08 AM
i want to start working on this. i think a dorsal fin to wear on the back would be an epic mermaid design

Mermaid Arianna
09-17-2012, 05:23 PM
try shelf liner, they have it at home depot for 4 bucks

Mermaid Wesley
09-30-2012, 06:21 PM
I would suggest tying the top into you r hair in addition to somehow sticking it down

Coradion
10-04-2012, 05:41 PM
I just used silicone and liquid nails adhesive for it with a neoprene bonding base. To make it go up your back wouldn't be too hard. Just measure the butt to neck length and make a collar (you could add gills to the collar) and make it a full strip. If you want it to stay to your back I'd add a harness piece, you could decorate it to look like stripes or maybe armor?

Coradion
10-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Like this, green indicates a neoprene base, blue is silicone overlay.6878

dini
10-04-2012, 07:53 PM
I really reallly want something like this
So if you figure it out let me know!

Prince Calypso
10-05-2012, 07:37 AM
I just used silicone and liquid nails adhesive for it with a neoprene bonding base. To make it go up your back wouldn't be too hard. Just measure the butt to neck length and make a collar (you could add gills to the collar) and make it a full strip. If you want it to stay to your back I'd add a harness piece, you could decorate it to look like stripes or maybe armor?

that's is actually a really good idea, its just that i'm not all that handyman build it yourself without step by step instructions and LOTS of pictures lol
but the idea and the design sound like they would come out freaking amazing.