View Full Version : Making the monofin in an Alex tail removable?

lestats_violin
08-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Ok, so I really dropped the ball on my tail. I did all kinds of tests on scrap neoprene like months ago but have been avoiding actually starting. I keep telling myself that it's because I'm waiting on a coupler part that hooks up my compressor to my airbrush to come in at my local hobby store, but the truth is I could be doing everything else up 'till the painting part in the meantime, but I'm just scared to actually start and screw it up.

Also I have a few dilemmas I'm trying to work out the logistics for, and I haven't been able to figure it out by myself. So I turn to you, mer-friends!

Where do you guys hide your zippers to get into these things? I was thinking of adding a dorsal fin just for this purpose, but I'm not sure if it will just draw more attention to it or if it will cover it at all... Like, maybe I could put a flap of fabric over the zipper with velcro or something to hide it?

I'm trying to make my Wave monofin less obvious. I don't think I need to cut it based on my fin design, I think the tubing on the edges that some people have been doing will take care of the shape for me, but I'm trying to think of a way that the bottom edge of my monofin won't make an obvious line when I swim. Does stretching fabric between the tubes take care of that problem, or is there another way you guys use to make the transition less obvious?

And my #1 question is... Anyone find a solid way to keep the monofin removable? I'd really like to be able to take it out if I ever wanna just swim with it without the whole tail again, or perhaps use it in the future for making new tails. It would make sense to have it come out at the bottom but there's the issue of hiding some kind of zipper opening again, and would it billow awkwardly if I'm not glueing the fabric to the monofin or will stretching the fabric tight enough over the fin take care of that?

Thanks for any ideas of advice you can offer!!

Mermaid Star
08-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Many people don't use zippers in the Alex tails. They just shimmy them up, slowly. Some have zippers though and they hide them in their dorsal fin. Most of the time the seperations isn't that noticeable. Check out Mermaid Raven's tail. You really can't see her monofin in the tail.

I am not sure you can make the monofin removable. The reason some tails balloon is because there is a pocket where water can get into the fluke and can not get out. If you can find a way to make sure the water can get out, then it might work, but I am really not 100% sure on that. Maybe someone with a little more experience will be able to answer that question. I too am making my first Latex tail, slowly but surely. Now I am just waiting on more funds to move forward.

Best of luck to you. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Star

lestats_violin
08-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Oh! I didn't know the neoprene would still be stretchy enough to slide on without falling off in the water! Thanks Star!
I've had my monofin and neoprene since last summer and got the rest of my supplies at the beginning of this summer. It's taking me so long to get started!! I have a lot of other projects on the go but I think it's mostly my nerves holding me back.

Mermaid Sirena
08-03-2011, 09:44 AM
People who have zippers sorta sandwiched them between a piece dorsal fin with Velcro to hold the pieces closed after zipping. As for the fluke perhaps if you cover the inside with lots and lots of Velcro that could work to keep it from bubbling, I'm not sure as I've haven't gotten to make one yet but if you left the bottom open (maybe had fringe on the two layers of fabric to hide it and have it closed with Velcro) it would work. It's a thought nothing more.

Mermaid Star
08-03-2011, 03:39 PM
If you don't have a zipper though, you have to make your tail a little smaller than you would think, or so I have been told. That way it will stretch around the body but still be tight enough to stay on during the swim. It is a really tight fit and may take 5 mins or so to get into the tail. I have been told that You can baby powder your legs to help get it up.

lestats_violin
08-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Ok, and stretching it doesn't hurt the Alex scales?
I wonder if I make it tight and without a zipper if I can cut it after if I decide I need one? Is it a disaster to try and cut through the layers of Alex and neoprene after it's done? Anyone try this?
Also, because neoprene is thicker than most fabric, do people try to do the usual 'right sides together, sew, then flip inside out' method of sewing, or is it too bulky? Would it be better to sew the fabric end to end?

AniaR
08-04-2011, 12:00 AM
my tail doesnt have a zipper and a it sucks. it's super hard to get into it and even though it feels tight getting into it still really loose when it's on. I asked my new tail maker to put a zipper because not only will it be easier to get off and on I think it will help with drying too. They are putting a dorsal fin along the back- I've seen some made from neoprene scraps and alex and paint. If you wanna keep the monofin removable you cant glue it down and if you dont glue it down your tail will fill up with water an dair and look bad unless you shape the fluke exactly around the monofin. Mono fins can be taken out simply by curving them in a gentle bend and pulling them out through the ankles. Usually takes 2 people in my experience though.

meremily
08-04-2011, 10:01 AM
i put a zipper (small) at the end of the fluke to create an opening so i slide into the tail , open the zipper , slip on the monofin and then zip it back!!! i make tiny tiny holes in the flukes so the water gets out! voila!!! work super!

Spindrift
08-04-2011, 11:01 AM
My tails (4) have zippers at the bottom. They seem to work fine. But they're not completely finished yet.

lestats_violin
08-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Ok! All this is very helpful information!!! Thank you! Sounds like I should probably put in a zipper at the waist.
Spindrift and Meremily, what are your tails made out of? Are they Alex tails? Do you find they gape or balloon at all while swimming??

Syrenia
08-05-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm planning on gluing my monofin to the inside of the fabric so there isn't any bubbles in it. I read somewhere that it actually really helps, and I'm planning on using epoxy (even though it's insanely expensive to fill it all in.) Hopefully it won't ruin the tail when I actually start on it. I'm saving up to get the fabric at the moment; I already have my monofin (a finis rapid monofin) and I'm so excited to have one! Even the little girls I babysit are starting on one! So cute. They call me every day to ask if I got any more supplies. But anyways, I'd look into the glue in the bottom of your tail. I've heard it helps. A lot.

Moonflower
02-22-2012, 08:43 AM
While looking around for info I spotted this thread. Not sure what your progress is right now, but the purely neoprene fin I've made for a friend has 1" gaps at each of the tips of the fluke to allow water to exit quickly and stop the ballooning (they are hidden by bits of decorative plastic). Unsure if this will help you or not, but it was worth tossing that out there.

lestats_violin
02-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks Moonflower! I'm actually no further. I did some test pieces to get the hang of things, but I haven't actually started. I just haven't had the time lately, with projects that are on time constraints taking priority. I WILL get to it this summer though, as soon as it warms up again up here in Northern Ontario, I will be working on it again for sure!
Anyways, thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind :)

Moonflower
02-26-2012, 03:36 PM
I will note that the first time I tried it, I made the holes too small in the fluke and it did balloon a little. The holes in the tail I just made are about 1 1/2-2" wide and it worked very very well. I have yet to take pictures underwater, but from what I can see from the surface and studying the pictures and videos I took, there's no ballooning. ^_^