PDA

View Full Version : Oceanika Merfin

Morticia Mermaid
09-12-2012, 05:43 PM
I FINALLY got to test out my fin last night. It definitely has some pros and cons.

Pros (so far)- It has a great flex to the fluke. Despite the flex it has great propulsion when you can get the proper body roll down. Has a natural flow, and I love that it doesn't bend in a straight line when swimming. It is VERY light and would be neutrally buoyant were it not for an air bubble in one side of the thickest part of the fluke.

Cons (so far)- I ordered the fin that fit my foot length, I will need to stretch the opening of the fin a bit as it squeezes my foot very tightly. Neoprene socks are a definite must have for me. The inside of the foot pockets are much bigger than the opening, which, naturally, made me try to grab the inside of the fin with my toes... Which as most know, after an hour of swimming, my left foot was so cramped I couldn't walk until it was rubbed and stretched for 15 minutes.

All in all I really like it and it is a great first fin. Though I think my next fin will probably be one of the Sweamer (sp?) fins.

Mermaid Saphira
09-12-2012, 06:00 PM
nice pictures! good luck w/ ur fin :)

Mermaid Harmony
09-15-2012, 01:52 AM
wait, what size feet do you have? You were able to get a different size for your foot? Please share, this highly interests me, as I wear a size 9 and was under the thought that Oceanika Fins only fit a 7

Morticia Mermaid
09-15-2012, 10:17 AM
They have a couple different sizes. But Their maximum size is for a 9 1/2" foot. I got a medium, the length fits really well (9" foot) but the pocket openings are really small. I need to either stretch the pocket, or carve out the openings a bit to make them wider. It's a pain, LITERALLY, to get my feet out of the pockets because of how small the openings are :(

Morticia Mermaid
09-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Ok, so after some modifying to the fin, it fits SO much better. I tried heat stretching the pocket and it didn't work, so then I just went ahead and cut the top of the pocket open a bit more. Ended up cutting it open another inch. But it fits so much better and is a LOT easier to get off. I'll post pictures when I can of how I modified it to fit better

Mermaid Harmony
10-06-2012, 01:35 AM
Ok, so after some modifying to the fin, it fits SO much better. I tried heat stretching the pocket and it didn't work, so then I just went ahead and cut the top of the pocket open a bit more. Ended up cutting it open another inch. But it fits so much better and is a LOT easier to get off. I'll post pictures when I can of how I modified it to fit better

Did you ever do this? I love the shape of the oceanika, I have a finis rapid right now, but would love an oceanika, how did you cut it? Did it tear more after?

Morticia Mermaid
10-06-2012, 05:42 PM
I did get the foot pocket cut open more :) I made sure to clean up the edges after so that it wouldn't tear, just in case.

This is a view from the top of the fin. The top edge or the foot pocket opening used to be even with the bottom, it made the opening VERY small. I cut the top of the foot pocket open probably an half inch to a full inch and it fits MUCH better. It is MUCH easier to get on AND off. I had an issue with the top of the pocket opening "biting" into the top of my foot whenever I tired to get it off. I always had to have help getting it off.

This is to better show you kind of how I shaped the pocket where I had cut it. I had made my original cuts with a VERY sharp knife, and then re-shaped and cleaned the edges with a decent pair of scissors.

The left foot pocket ended up being a little differently shaped, its a bit wider than the right pocket but it works perfect as I ALWAYS put my right foot in first and my left foot in last. Which if you have ever put on an oceanika with unmodified foot pockets, its a pain (literally), not to mention getting it off.

Here is what the pocket originally looked like.

My recommendation to ANYONE who tries this, you should have these four (4) things- A pen/sharpie to mark an outline of where you want to cut it, A VERY sharp knife for the initial cutting, A decent pair of sharp scissors, and an extra person just in case. You should have an extra person there with you just in case. I almost cut open my foot and hand (several times) with the knife cause I wasn't paying attention and because the knife wasn't as sharp as it should have been. When you go to make the first cute with the knife, its easier to punch it through the rubber and cute from there instead of trying to start from the edge. After you have finished cutting it with the knife, try it on and see if it fits better, if not cut off a little more, if it does fit start cleaning up the edges where you cut with the scissors. Cleaning up the edges will take off the rough edges from the knife and any possible splits that may have happened so you wont have to worry about it possibly ripping.I made sure my edges were relatively smooth and had no "tags" that might possibly tear. As of yet I have had no tearing or ripping problems. And since I have done this, its is so much easier to get on and off (I know I keep saying it, but its true). I wish I had gotten pictures before I adjusted the foot pockets of what happened when I tried to get it on and off.

Hope this helps :)

Mermaid Harmony
02-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Thank you so much Lexia, I'm cutting mine tonight!

Koral
02-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Glad you found this topic again Harmony. :) I hope it helps on top of my email! There were some details I forgot like the sharpie and marking bit, but I never wore my fin while cutting so I never got anywhere near cutting myself.

Be careful and good luck!

Mermaid Harmony
02-23-2013, 07:41 PM
So I cut it, and it is SO MUCH easier to get on and off, but I think I cut too much, because now it cuts at the top, so I'm wearing super big fluffy socks and just sucking it up. :) Never again oceanika, never again. I think once my new tails come in, this one will be my land birthday party one, and the others will be swimming tails. But thank you for the advice and tips, it helped so much, and it is much easier to handle now than before! No more siren mode for me...unless it's asked for ;-)

Morticia Mermaid
02-27-2013, 11:37 AM
I'm glad it worked for you Harmony. I'm experimenting in making some neoprene socks to wear with mine. If they work well, do you want a pair? I'd be more than happy to make you a pair too if they work out :)

MerAnthony
02-27-2013, 02:30 PM
Now I am not sure on this, but did they say that they were going to make the fins for larger feet? An if so when?

MerEmma
02-27-2013, 02:52 PM
Fairly sure it was estimated to be late this year/early next. I think.

Stefani
04-02-2013, 12:38 PM
anyone know merfins maintenance? Clean salt water but a little scratched stones from the sea. By the way, I also I have problem with the size, I tightened the top, I have fear of cutting more if broken. Would be nice to make outsize Oceanika (this is a translation, if not understand, tell me, thanks)