PDA

View Full Version : Not a question...but... Caulking experiment

LittleTreasure
09-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Hi, I just wanted to post about what I was doing today because I'm pretty excited about it! I just hope it works!
When I was trying to plan out my next tail I was left wondering what I could possibly use on my tail for the 'latex,' because I'd just learned about how nasty ALEX is. I considered the really good expensive stuff but thought I'd look around for cheaper, green options. At last I found something that looked promising:

Eco-Bond Clear adhesive caulk is a premium-grade sealant that goes on really clear, can (supposedly) cure underwater, and according to its packaging, has no VOCs, is non-toxic, non petroleum-based, oderless, solvent and Isocyanate free, nonflammable, and meets California's health standards. Phew...what a mouthful. We'll see though. It's not latex, or silicone. It's just an adhesive.
(Performance: Shear strength 200 psi, Tensile strength 250 psi, 22 pli peel rating, 500% elongation, zero-shrinkage. Moisture curing and approved for indoor use.) It's also paintable with latex, acrylic and oil based paints.

Anyway, I ordered some and it came in the mail today, finally! I decided to squirt a little on a piece of spandex, draw in a pattern for scales, and see how it does once it cures. I used pieces of cut plastic packaging to spread it around once I got it on the fabric - a nice straight edge - and then used toothpicks to draw around the scales on the spandex. :p The stuff was a pain in the butt to get out of the tube, but I figure all caulks are like that so I'm not worried.

Here are some pictures of the results and materials:

I will probably post more progress photos and let you guys know how the stuff holds up. I'm very hopeful so far.

ShyMer
09-12-2012, 09:57 PM
That looks pretty cool! I like how it seems to be quite a bit less scary than alex caulking. Looking forward to seeing your results!

How much does a tube of that go for?

Winged Mermaid
09-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Very interesting! For those curious on the specs, you can find them here: http://www.ecobondadhesives.com/products/ (scroll down to clear sealant). However, it says it will polymerize when in contact with moisture. What would that mean for a tail?

LittleTreasure
09-12-2012, 10:49 PM
I ended up paying about $20, including shipping, for two tubes of the stuff. A little more expensive maybe but I think it largely has to do with the fact that it's very hard to find in stores (at least where I live). As a side note, I ordered mine from Homedepot.com, but you might be able to find it cheaper somewhere else.

I think the polymerization probably is just how it cures... From what I understand, polymerization basically means that the molecules (monomers) form bonds and create chains, which create polymers. It's the way plastics are formed. It says on the tube that it is a moisture-curing product. For example, I sprayed some water on it and it seemed to become less tacky. However it didn't become completely tack-free in 20 minutes like it says on the tube, at least for me. When it's wet I think that makes it cure a little more easily, but I could be wrong. I think by the time it's fully cured it will be a little more rigid but still pretty rubbery. It's supposed to stay flexible. We'll see in a day or two whether that's true - if I remember correctly it should be cured by then. I haven't read anywhere that it needs heat to dry, and in fact it is supposed to be able to cure in a wide range of temperatures, so yay for no heat guns! Right now it's been a couple hours since I put it on my fabric, and it is very sticky when I touch it, but it doesn't come off on my fingers much at all, although I can feel traces of it on my fingers if I touch it in certain places, like where I laid it on a little too thickly.

LittleTreasure
09-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Here's an update on the Eco-bond caulk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRni98IDmkE&feature=youtu.be

ShyMer
09-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Nice video! I liked the look of the clear caulk over that fabric swatch. It'll be interesting to see how it behaves as it ages on a tail. I love that it doesn't give off fumes as it cures.

LittleTreasure
09-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Thanks, I love that fabric too, and the caulk seems to enhance its beauty. I'm going to do some pool water testing when I can. It was so nice to be working on it and not get a headache from fumes (keeping in mind I do work with all my windows open if not outside anyway).

mermaid|spark
04-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Love the different effect it gives compared to normal caulking. One question though what kind of varnish did you use?

MerAnthony
04-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Very interesting indeed. This may have quite a few possablities in the future I can see.

Mermaid Zipora
07-22-2014, 09:21 PM
Do you think since it's an adhesive it can stick to a finis monofin? I'm thinking if I put skinny PVC tubes (as fish bones on the fluke) I between the fabric and adhesive it might make a cool effect. What do you think?

Slee
09-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Any updates on the eco-bond? I've been looking at it for a "piped" tail. They also make a food grade version, but it's white, but I wasn't sure if it would maintain the elasticity needed for our kind of use. per the MSDS, it reads a lot like dragonskin, BUT, I had some concerns as to whether it was an irritant pre-cure, or if there was still a likely issue after it cures. (yes, many many questions, I have.)

ncbenavi
01-27-2016, 04:09 PM
Hey, I'm thinking about using this technique for a production of She Kills Monsters and I was wondering if you had an idea of how much surface area one tube of sealant covered? Also, did you stretch your spandex before adding the sealant?

Thanks!

Merman Lir
01-28-2016, 03:14 PM
try immersing it into pool water? i read a lot about how they use chlorine to fully cure latex and make the stickiness go away.