PDA

View Full Version : swimming in the ocean

Odette
08-02-2011, 07:19 PM
i recently swam in the ocean but i was a bit scared( being a lake mermaid). the waves kept pulling me out and i didnt want to touch something that could hurt me. got sand all in my tail and its a pain! does anyone have these issues or advice on swimming in the big blue?

HBMermaid_Angela
08-03-2011, 12:33 AM
I live in Huntington Beach and surf, swim in the ocean everyday. When it comes to being pulled out, you may be in a small rip current. If that's the case, swim parallel to the beach until you're out. The ocean is constantly moving so you will drift, be pulled in and out, etc. If you have a mono-fin (by itself, without the tail), try practicing in that first. Sadly, sand is something that can't be avoided, especially if you are staying in shallow shore break area. Every time I surf/swim I get sand in places I didn't know existed...hahaha! Remember, stay calm in the ocean...it moves, and so will you. Be patient and try to go in the ocean on "smoother" days. Also, don't swim alone (until you are used to it). GOOD LUCK and Happy Mermaiding!

Odette
08-03-2011, 05:37 PM
thanks, angela!

MermaidAiera
08-07-2011, 04:15 PM
I swim in the ocean a lot when we go on vacation to NC. The surf there is pretty rough and loves to pull you down shore, so when I swim, I bring in picks or stakes (like to put a tent up with or the thing on the bottom of a sprinkler) and I jam them into the sand at the bottom and 'mountain climb' down the beach XD It helps a lot, but be prepared to lose them XD

MermaidAubrin
08-15-2011, 01:16 AM
I would be terrified to swim in the ocean !!! Sharks scare me ALOT

Kanti
08-15-2011, 02:15 AM
It may not make you feel better, but it usually makes me better when I think of it this way:
Sharks are ALL over the ocean. They're in every corner, every nook, every space, and yet people don't often get attacked by them. There's a saying that goes "You're more likely to die from a coconut landing on your head than die from a shark bite". This isn't horribly accurate, but it's true in a sense. They got that from one year where the deaths caused by coconuts were around 14 count when the deaths caused by sharks were only 4-6. I thought that was a hilarious statistic.

But, in all seriousness, shark encounters could happen, but sharks will usually not attack or care for humans. Almost all incidents of shark attacks are mistaken identity and the shark releases the victim shortly after first contact. Anything else in the ocean is probably more scared of you than you are of it xD
As for current and sand, that's just a part of the package. You just gotta get used to it. Once you start swimming in the ocean more, you'll get used to it and start to like it :'P
Sand is annoying, but it shouldn't be too big of a problem. As for dangerous things, usually beaches will warn you ahead of time if there are dangerous corals or animals in the area. So just take percautions according to what's in your area.

Spindrift
08-15-2011, 02:16 AM
I believe Sharkwater said that more people died by vending machines falling over on top of them than by sharks. They got their information from a census that I saw, but can't remember how to cite.

Mermaid Kalliope
08-21-2011, 11:44 PM
Thing I'd be worried about is a shark mistaking me in my tail as something yummy. D:

ivoryleopard
08-24-2011, 02:40 PM
MermaidAiera (http://mernetwork.com/index/member.php?310-MermaidAiera) where in NC? I live in Durham but my family vacations each year on the NC Coast, usually in Atlantic Beach. I took photos of my tail in the surf this past beach trip but the water was too rough and choppy to swim in it (it's bad enough when you are just using your legs!).

Sharks shouldn't really be a bother, unless you are way out there far from shore. I've unknowingly swam in areas where sharks are sited and are good fishing spots for them. Of course this was also before I knew that they frequented the areas where my family likes to swim! I had a startled dogfish slap me in the butt with it's tail before. We scared each other, hehe. Shortly after my vacation this year a guy did get bit on the leg by a bull shark on the inlet close to the area we stayed. According to the news he and his friends were fishing on a boat and decided to go for a swim after they were done fishing.

Coradion
01-22-2012, 06:18 PM
If you're in a surf zone close to shore you probably don't need to worry about sharks. I free dive constantly on reef edges and have fairly regular encounters with them. Usually white tips, but occasionally hammerheads, I have never had a problem. If you see a large shark swim slow, dive deep, and hug a reef. Thrashing or frantic movements are prey like behaviors, most sharks will not follow you over a shallow reef edge as they risk being cut up on coral or rock. If you're not comfortable in ocean water I would recommend not swimming in a tail to start out. Be comfortable with the areas currents and marine fauna, it helps to snorkel an area a few times with a buddy who knows the area. Ocean swimming is pretty different from lake swims. You need to be aware of the tides, jellyfish patterns, check visibility and surf reports, etc. When in doubt don't go out.

gypsymer
01-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Coradion has some great advice there!

I started my mer stuff with a plain dolphin kick, then practised with my monofin, then practised some more with it before taking it back out into the ocean. Then I did tail swims in the pool, then a headspring, then the ocean.

Sand sucks. I had a poopy diaper almost the one day when I got out there was so much sand in my bikini bottom >_<

I only just got to swim out in open ocean water in my tail, on a reef in the Florida Keys. There was a small nurse shark, but nothing to worry about. It was 35' or so and I saw a turtle and lots of other fun stuff.

Mermaid Photine
01-24-2012, 09:46 PM
What ammount of wear and tear do you find the ocean/ sand and grit cause on your tail? (and what type of tail is it?)

AniaR
01-24-2012, 10:04 PM
if you were swimmng in a mermaid tail, monofin makes a difference. You need a STIFF blade to manage the current. I swam several times in NS in the ocean, it was freezing, and I did an underwater photoshoot too. I did all times WITH people around, and when I did the underwater modelling, I had 1 assistant devoted to staying close and pulling me back when I couldnt hang on to the rocks anymore and the waves knocked me. There's nothing really dangerous in our beaches, so I didnt have to worry much. It is certainly disorienting though.

In this little behind the scenes clip, I could have stood up and the water wouldnt have even been to my waist, but the under tow was so strong I couldnt do much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91l8c0Apujw

In this one, I am trying to swim to my friend and I couldnt get very far I was basically treading water. You can see how fast the seaweed and plants are being brushed by, I tried going under a few times but it was so disorienting in the waves I just couldnt stay for very long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_mpIp-y_4M

Aloha Mermaid swims in her tails with dolphins, she says a tail that wont float, and at least a competitor monofin are a MUST

Mermaid Saphira
01-25-2012, 09:25 AM
I am afraid of waves as well! Luckily I live close by to a semi wave less beach! Even though there r some jellies...it's pretty nice there and I can stop at the sand bars for a rest while looking for shells :)

Mermaid Marla
01-25-2012, 10:08 AM
I have swam in the ocean a couple times. I prefer it to pools as my eyes feel much better open in the natural salt water. When it's time for me to get out I just have my hubby come in waist deep and I take my tail off before I get to the shallow sandy area. I use him as my de-tailing post - lol. Getting out of my tail in the water is super easy as it practically slips right off after I get my feet out of the monofin. As for sharks, don't worry too much. You are as big or bigger then most sharks and they are usually more afraid of us then we are of them! As a scuba diver we actually get excited if we're lucky enough to see one!

malinghi
01-25-2012, 04:27 PM
I would be terrified to swim in the ocean !!! Sharks scare me ALOT

I believe Sharkwater said that more people died by vending machines falling over on top of them than by sharks. They got their information from a census that I saw, but can't remember how to cite.

I googled it and found an article:
"
Vending machines kill, sharks don't, according to Reuters which quoted a LA lifeguard "more people are killed in the US each year by vending machines" which smacks of an urban legend but probably isn't.

I say "probably isn't" because statistics relating to vending machine deaths aren't as easy to come by as data on shark attack fatalities, so it's difficult to draw a direct comparison.

But if we look at 1995, for example, the most recent year for which I was able to find an accounting of deaths due to vending machine tipovers. Two people died as a result of being crushed by falling soda machines in the US as compared to zero shark-related deaths in the same 12 month period."
http://www.drinkvendingmachines.net/2008/05/are-vending-machines-deadlier-than.html

Mermaid Sirena
01-25-2012, 04:40 PM
If there was a 'Like' button I would hit it :D

malinghi
01-31-2012, 02:55 PM
If there was a 'Like' button I would hit it

Do you mean for the post, or for the thread? Cause there is a like button for the thread. At least I can see it. Does anyone else here see the "like" buttons? If not I can look into it.

MafaldaMermaid
02-24-2012, 06:47 AM
Oh, I have never swam in the ocean! I can't really wait to try it this summer :D
I'm a bit nervous though =p

SweeteSiren
02-24-2012, 06:54 PM
I have a "mermaid training wheels" method: get a boogie board and strap it to your wrist. That way if you get into trouble you have a flotation device attached to you.
And Malinghi, don't worry the rate the thread button is there!

Sea Pearl
02-24-2012, 11:49 PM
Swimming in the ocean would be wonderful but indeed a little scary! I'd love to try some day.

swizzer2012
03-12-2012, 09:11 AM
It's really nice to swin in oceans.