PDA

View Full Version : Bent knees

telzey.amberdon
09-12-2012, 09:13 PM
How do you keep your knees from bending too much when first learning the mermaid stroke (I know it dolphin, but that sounded cute)?

AniaR
09-12-2012, 09:19 PM
I think it's impossible to swim in a mermaid tail without bending your knees somewhat- especially if you want to turn. The only costume tails that are done where people don't bend are ones where the people have their legs shrink wrapped or are very thick and extra long.

I use my arms out in front of me and "steer" that way. That's how the h20 girls do it a lot too

Mermaid Arianna
09-12-2012, 09:20 PM
concentrate on being like a board in your legs, move from your hips and your shoulders, focus on that while your swimming

Mermaid Lorelei
09-12-2012, 09:42 PM
The correct movement when using the dolphin stroke is to move from your core (stomach and abdomen region), hips, and ankles. Try the move outside of the water first, just standing with your legs together. Move your hips backwards and forwards slowly, focusing on the feeling in your back and stomach. Your legs should be straight, but relaxed. You can even practice with your arms straight up above your head as they would be in the water. Start the 'roll' motion in your hands and let it move down your body. If your arms wave backwards, your hips should wave forwards, all the way down to your ankles. Feel free to stand on your toes to allow the wave to rock your whole body. This motion will translate into a very fluid and elegant dolphin kick in the water after enough practice and some work on your coordination. If you like, I can make a quick video to demonstrate. :>

MermaidAliyah
09-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Please make a video

Kanti
09-17-2012, 06:30 PM
The problem is you're not supposed to BEND your knees, but rather they only "bend" because they
follow the motion of your upper body.
If you're purposely bending you're knees while you swim it's because you're trying to use your legs
to swim instead of your ab muscles.
Bending your knees is only really used for slower movements, turning sharply or "hovering" in one
spot. At least that's how I see it

Mermaid Lorelei
09-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Alrighty. I'll put one together.

SilverSiren
09-18-2012, 02:10 AM
Try hula hooping! It trains you well to move the upper body while keeping your lower static which helps when you want to do what Lorelei described. Dancing too. I've been a dancer most my life and I found getting a fluid motion in water a lot easier when I started mermaiding. It's allll in the hips! It's allll in the hips. lol

Mermaid Annariea
09-18-2012, 07:42 PM
its hard not to bend your knees at all. but eventually, you wont have to bend your knees as much. my boyfriend was very critical of that, along with what i did with my ankles, so i fixed almost everything pretty quick.

Artisankatie
09-18-2012, 08:20 PM
^ What Kanti said.

You should forget you have legs at all and imagine the monofin is strapped onto your pelvis. Your legs will loosen up and your knees WILL bend naturally, but it'll be in line with the motion and look natural, because it IS natural :D

Let your head move through the water too, because if you're trying to keep your head still, the rest of your body will try to stay still too.

Mermaid Lorelei
09-18-2012, 08:28 PM
http://youtu.be/8UlJHplPZE8

Video. :> And yes, I know I look funny.

lasserine
09-19-2012, 02:38 AM
Doing that in the water, will take practice.

Thank you for the example.

Azurin Luna
09-19-2012, 06:51 AM
It's like belly dancing, only a slower wave

Coradion
09-19-2012, 07:17 AM
I was a club team swimmer for 13 years, there are a few ways to do this kick and bending your knees isn't as aesthetic and it's also slower. If you're swimming like you're doing butterfly the motion originates with your arms, down your shoulder, to the rest of your body. You're making an S-Wave action and letting water roll down parts of your body. Everything will follow your head and shoulders, so you can make an exaggerated motion with those parts of your body and follow it with your core then legs, or you can hold your shoulders still and swim with a kick that comes from your core and hips. It should be noted that to swim with your shoulders and head leading the motion will require you to look down at the bottom of the pool/ocean/whatever. Most people like to look forward which will actually stop a full body motion.