PDA

View Full Version : Opening Up Eyes in the Ocean!!!

Ashe
09-16-2012, 05:49 PM
I didnt see a thread for this, though i have a feeling that there already is... Oh, well! So, something seriously amazing (at least in my mind) happened at the beach a few weeks ago!!! I was swimming in the sea, and GIANT waves started to come down. My thought's: awesome!!! So, i had myself a good little time diving under the waves and such, but then, i lost focus and forgot about my footing. The biggest wave of the day knocked me down and pulled me underwater. I wasnt afraid of drowning cause i'm a super strong swimmer and the wave had died down, but then, for some odd reason, my eyes flung straight open. I then panicked, cause i heard that ocean in the eyes water hurts like crazy. But it didnt! I barely felt it! I swam up for air and had to think about what just occured. I went back under, on purpose this time, and opened my eyes again. Nothing! Didnt hurt one bit! I was amazed! I tried to tell my friends, some belived me, some didnt. But i kept on looking underwater. I swam out until my feet couldnt touch anymore and looked down. I could see the bottom of the ocean! i could also see my friends blowing bubble kisses! I asked my friends for weeks, and no one else could do it. Whenever i go to the beach i can open my eyes, and it amazes everyone! I heard that you can go through months of training to adjust your eyes to saltwater, but i havent! Has anyone else expirienced this? It's pretty epic and confusing at the same time!! I'm sure this will help land me a job at an aquarium though! LOL PS: im not trying to show off, just wondering if this is common or if only a few people can do this.

AniaR
09-16-2012, 05:52 PM
I don't find ocean water bothers my eyes very much either. Occasionally after a long time I find it hard to see when I get out but normally it doesn't hurt much. Have you swam in a salt water pool before? That could have eased it into you

Mermaid Narina
09-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Thats awesome! The same happened to me with chlorine, I had always had trouble with it, then one day in the pool I forgot goggles and decided I had to open my eyes... And it was fine! I couldnt believe it!
Moving hurt though (when the water was rushing onto my eyes during swimming), but a few trips to the pool later it was fine! My eyes go red after a few hours, but it doesnt hurt :)

Ashe
09-16-2012, 06:18 PM
I can do most chlorine pools, like my friend's and stuff, but when i go to a high school pool near where i live, they put so much chlorine in it, i was crying after a few minutes! And i rarely ever cry! But that's good for you, Natasha!

mermaidprecious
09-16-2012, 07:03 PM
That's awesome to hear that opening your eyes is coming natural. I would go to the beach everyday growing up, junior lifeguarded, and boogie boarded often, so opening my eyes in the ocean is just something i've always done. Pools are another story though. Because we have the beaches here, I've never become accustomed to chlorine water, and it hurt really bad when I had tried.

Lyna
09-16-2012, 07:46 PM
That is awesome! You are a natural born mermaid. You were MEANT to see in the ocean! What part of the oceans were you in though? I'm sure others are better than the rest. especially if you could see the throught he water with ease. Sounds pretty clear, probably not to much debris. :) I want to go...

Ashe
09-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Aw, thanks Lyna! That just made my day :) But no, the beaches i go to are not clear at all! Sadly, i cant say which beaches i go to yet, but i can assure you they are not like the bahamas and places like that lol! Has sand and seaweed everywhere, and my feet were only about 1 foot above the ground, so i could see for about 6 feet down :)

Lois
11-04-2012, 11:31 AM
whenever I have opened my eyes underwater all i see is blurry cloudy ness so ur really lucky that you can actually see something!

Elle
11-04-2012, 04:04 PM
I can handle the ocean I don't have great vision, but i've never ran into anything.
I've had to wear goggles in depths, because of darkness and loss of general visibility as a result
I can see enough in a pool that I don't run into anything :)

You wouldn't have an issue with the ocean because it's salt water. and tears are salty. Salt water can be uncomfortable on cuts and grazes (It will clean them) But i've never heard of it hurting eye

Blondie
11-04-2012, 05:17 PM
I just wanna put it out there.

Do NOT open your eyes if there's a red tide. Even afterwards for a few weeks. BAD IDEA.

Elle
11-04-2012, 07:23 PM
I just wanna put it out there.

Do NOT open your eyes if there's a red tide. Even afterwards for a few weeks. BAD IDEA.

No, probably not the best idea. :) I've never actually seen one of these, we only get foam issues

lasserine
11-04-2012, 07:33 PM
It used to be clear for me underwater, till I had lasik done to correct my distance vision. Now, it is blurry.

MerAnthony
11-04-2012, 09:07 PM
your body contains salt. so it depends on how much your eyes can take. Sence your eyes are a membrain.