PDA

View Full Version : Getting back to swimming...

Estarriol
09-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Okay, so in these last couple of weeks I've been thinking a lot about swimming more. When I was young I used to be in the sea a few times a week through summer, swam in the pool as often as I could, but when I went to Uni I moved inland, and things overtook me. For about ten years now I've rarely swum.
But hey, I've signed up to the local pool, going to go at least twice a week as much as funds, imminent baby and sleep allow and went to my first lanes session in a long long time last saturday.
Damn I'm unfit!
I mean really, really bad. I used to be able to stay underwater for ages, not feel tired, and I've lost it completely! Hopefully it's not gone forever :(
Anyway, goal is to get fit (and lose some weight) in time for next year, spend summer learning to swim with monofin (don't want to start using it until I'm back to where I want to be incase it makes me lazy!) and make a tail in winter 2013. Long term planning. It's depressing. I feel kind of a fraud being here and not throwing myself into the briny deep straight away, but I'll get there.

In the meantime, the same time I signed myself up for swimming, I also signed up my 2 year old and am taking her swimming once a week. 2nd session tomorrow and it's amazing! She loves it and I love to share the experience with her. Maybe when she's older we can both do mer-stuff :)