PDA

View Full Version : How to start out modeling?

Blondie
09-18-2012, 12:04 AM
So I've always wanted to model. I sort of got into it when I was a freshman in high school with a talent search but my parents pulled me out of it. Which I understand, it's a risky industry if you don't tread correctly.

Anyways, I've been tossing back and forth the idea of trying it again. But I have no idea where to start. How do you get into photo shoots/make your name? My friend is a model but she doesn't tell me any information since it's "competitive". But she's always doing photo shoots! Do you have to pay for your photo shoots? Because I have no idea how she affords all the ones she does. And they're all from different companies so it's not like a friend doing it.

I'd like to be a "mermaid" model, but I'm not really "aiming" for it. Modeling in general is what I'm looking for. Do people browse for models and contact them? I'm not looking to make any money out of this. Just doing it for fun/a hobby.

Any help?

SilverSiren
09-18-2012, 01:59 AM
I know one thing for sure... Hell no you don't pay for the shoot! If someone asks you to model for them, know who they represent, read your contract, read your consent form, make your own consent form even to ensure your pictures don't get used in some weird way you don't like and no one who gets asked to model pays, they pay YOU! I know you said your not in it for money but I would take money, if they are not willing to pay it would give me red flags. You might need an agent if you don't have a website and self represent, you don't pay agents either! I think they get a reasonable percentage of want you make from the shoots they find for you but you don't pay them unless YOU get paid. Don't let anyone rip you off! There are plenty of people willing to screw you over in this field if you don't know what your doing. Just remember, everyone pays you, not the other way around.

Blondie
09-18-2012, 02:05 AM
I know one thing for sure... Hell no you don't pay for the shoot! If someone asks you to model for them, know who they represent, read your contract, read your consent form, make your own consent form even to ensure your pictures don't get used in some weird way you don't like and no one who gets asked to model pays, they pay YOU! I know you said your not in it for money but I would take money, if they are not willing to pay it would give me red flags. You might need an agent if you don't have a website and self represent, you don't pay agents either! I think they get a reasonable percentage of want you make from the shoots they find for you but you don't pay them unless YOU get paid. Don't let anyone rip you off! There are plenty of people willing to screw you over in this field if you don't know what your doing. Just remember, everyone pays you, not the other way around.
Good advice xD I need to not be a push over.

Winged Mermaid
09-18-2012, 02:45 AM
From what I understand from others you find photographers who are interested in you, either through some place like Model Mayhem, or from an actual representative or modeling agency. Then you do the shoot. Unless you're with an agency or have a manager to line up paid gigs from the get go- or have professional contacts (who may or may not be friends or friends of friends) to set you up, or are just really lucky- you're going to have to do free shoots. Basically you not only get experience (becuase what photographer is going to pay an un experienced model) and learn from that, but you also in return get free professionally done photos to use to start building a portfolio. The better and more images you have in a professional portfolio the more photographers will start looking for you for paid shoots. Everyone has to start somewhere, and the best place to start is by building up a portfolio, resume, experience, and to get your name out there. Photographers network too, and if they see something they like from someone who you just shot with for free, they may consider you for a future paid shoot.

Mermaid Sirena
09-18-2012, 08:58 AM
One thing you want to do is ask for references from past models for the photographer & talk with as many as possible. Sometimes the only way to know when you find a creeper is by going to the shoot or speaking with other models who have spoken with them.

Although I don't know a lot about modeling I find this kinda funny as for Tail Flip we were hoping to cover this very subject in the next issue ^_^ If you are a professional model could you please message us on the FaceBook page (https://www.facebook.com/TailFlip)?

Mer_Adella
09-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Jeff, my photographer, i had just asked him about how much his photo shoots cost so I could get a portfolio started with my tail. He was interested and wants to do charity events up north mi (just like down state with Sirena :D) since i live up there. He told me that he would take my pictures for free since I am helping him with charity events. This way I have the exposure from the events, he's taking my pictures for free. Maybe you could ask someone how much their pictures are and tell them that you want to be a model but you want pictures in a mermaid tail and they might be interested.

Blondie
09-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Jeff, my photographer, i had just asked him about how much his photo shoots cost so I could get a portfolio started with my tail. He was interested and wants to do charity events up north mi (just like down state with Sirena :D) since i live up there. He told me that he would take my pictures for free since I am helping him with charity events. This way I have the exposure from the events, he's taking my pictures for free. Maybe you could ask someone how much their pictures are and tell them that you want to be a model but you want pictures in a mermaid tail and they might be interested.

That's what I was thinking. Since we have tails and that's pretty different than most models out there it might be a good incentive for photographers to try something new. I contacted one photographer and she said she still charges. I'm just not sure how to put that I just want to model I'm not interested in getting a photoshoot done, if that makes sense...

Mermaid Annariea
09-18-2012, 07:37 PM
ive been curious too, so this thread will help quite a bit.
also, good luck :D

Mer_Adella
09-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Well think about this you need a portfolio to show to modeling talents. So photoshoots might be a good idea. Look for small local photographers too that are good

Sea Pearl
09-18-2012, 11:55 PM
Chase your dreams blondie! I've wanted to do modeling for a long while now but was always told I was too short for that industry and would have a hard job finding a modeling agency who would take me on. I'm only 5'3 and therefore was told I would be better off trying to do freelance and promote myself. I'd love to be a mermaid model and recently did have my first mermaid photo shoot. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who can give you some great tips and advice more than me, since I'm just starting down that path myself, but go for it :)
Everyone's advice on this thread has been very helpful!

Mer_Adella
09-20-2012, 02:44 PM
you know what i love about mermaid models? they dont conform to the actual "model" label. Mermaids are a mystical creature that have eluded humans for centeries...so why should they be the tall, skinny no-boob models (no offense intended for no-boobed mers)

mermaids are mystical and beautiful in their own right and i think that photographers love that about us mers. My friend Abby is 5ft and has DD's she got me interested into the tails when we were younger. now (at 5ft dd's ) she has had more pictures taken of her on the beach and underwater than anyone i know all because the photographers are obsessed with her tail (she hand made). And more are asking her to ocme and get pictures done by them.

Thats why i love being a mer....they dont conform to "model" label. so put on a smile, strike a pose. and get out there !!!!

Blondie
09-20-2012, 09:04 PM
It's a whole different ball game with mers xD

I just don't understand how to approach a photographer and be like "Hey wanna take pictures of me in my tail for fun? I'm not interested in paying/buying prints thought"

Winged Mermaid
09-20-2012, 09:20 PM
It's a whole different ball game with mers xD

I just don't understand how to approach a photographer and be like "Hey wanna take pictures of me in my tail for fun? I'm not interested in paying/buying prints thought"

Say you want to trade- your modeling is free if they give you the pics for free. Worst they can say is no, and not everyone will be a taker. Some people are more interested in being paid, even if it's to do birthday parties or senior portraits, then having a cool portfolio pic with a mermaid in it. Some are out there just becuase they love photography and don't care about the money as much, and those people are usually get really excited about doing a shoot that would be different.

Mer_Adella
09-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Here is a photo that i got from my photographer. its a good photo and as winged said above... we are trading services. He wants to take pictures of kids underwater for parents (kids that have cancer) and i wanted pictures of me in my tail. so he offered a trade of me being a mermaid at events for kids with cancer and i get free pictures. I think its a fair trade. he gets exposure to a new set of customers and so do i as well as free photos.

Blondie
09-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Adella that's awesome! How did you come across him?

Mer_Adella
09-25-2012, 08:38 PM
Lol from a forum on here. He's the only underwater photographer in Michigan. I basically asked him for his prices and hes the one that said he'd take my pictures for free

Blondie
09-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Lol from a forum on here. He's the only underwater photographer in Michigan. I basically asked him for his prices and hes the one that said he'd take my pictures for free
Ahhh so that worked out nicely! I just don't want to get sucked in to buying pictures for hundreds of dollars x-X I'll have to poke around for someone who will do it for free for an experience

Lyna
09-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Hey girl, I modeled for years. Nothing too too serious...it isn't really my gig...but I do at least one annual shoot to have something current in my portfolio, and I usually take up paid gigs when it doesn't conflict with work etc. I've done print, promotions, online work, runway and more. So if you have any questions, feel free to message me and I'll tell you anything you need to know that I can help you with. (I learned from my grandma who was a model in her day and tried my entire child life to "train me.")
http://www.facebook.com/catz.tatz

Blondie
09-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Hey girl, I modeled for years. Nothing too too serious...it isn't really my gig...but I do at least one annual shoot to have something current in my portfolio, and I usually take up paid gigs when it doesn't conflict with work etc. I've done print, promotions, online work, runway and more. So if you have any questions, feel free to message me and I'll tell you anything you need to know that I can help you with. (I learned from my grandma who was a model in her day and tried my entire child life to "train me.")
http://www.facebook.com/catz.tatz
Thanks Lyna, how did you find your gigs?

Moongazer
09-26-2012, 02:33 AM
I just got done with a photographer last weekend for a free shoot. He just sent me an email that says 'I'm too fat' and I only weight 115 pounds. AND it was in my mermaid tail. I mean... I can't really move well when I have it on and was really looking for some direction from him but he didn't give me any. Said my tail made me look fatter then normal and needed some tailoring. I guess he forgot that I told him it was a bit big on me...

Safe to say I will probably never work with him again. Some of the photos where not even that good...

Anyways! It's not hard to get free photoshoots if you can 'sell' yourself. That was my first 'professional' gig. He had some other harsh things to say, but just like models, photographers are a dime a dozen. Just keep doing shoots until you can find a photographer that clicks. That's what I'm looking for!

Mer_Adella
09-26-2012, 08:00 AM
I just got done with a photographer last weekend for a free shoot. He just sent me an email that says 'I'm too fat' and I only weight 115 pounds. AND it was in my mermaid tail. I mean... I can't really move well when I have it on and was really looking for some direction from him but he didn't give me any. Said my tail made me look fatter then normal and needed some tailoring. I guess he forgot that I told him it was a bit big on me...

Safe to say I will probably never work with him again. Some of the photos where not even that good...

Anyways! It's not hard to get free photoshoots if you can 'sell' yourself. That was my first 'professional' gig. He had some other harsh things to say, but just like models, photographers are a dime a dozen. Just keep doing shoots until you can find a photographer that clicks. That's what I'm looking for!

That is true Moongazer ....if it works...you know right away. And thats how it was with Jeff. He loved my sense of humor and my "can do " attitude. As far as you being "fat" (i despise that word) UNTRUE!!!! I was told that i am fat as well (not by my photographer just over the years from others.) In high school i was fat 174lbs! then i got a bad BAD BAD kidney infection that went to renal failure. I was in the hosptial hooked up to an IV. then a week later I dropped to 110lbs. now i am at 128lbs and loving it. I have C boobs a 34" bust 28"waist and 37" hips....CUUURRVVYYY

NEVER EVER EVER LET SOMEONE TELL YOU YOUR TOO FAT, SLOW, TALL, SKINNY, GUMPY, SHORT, OR ANYTHING TO ACCOMPLISH YOUR DREAMS :YAY:

Mermaid Gosalyn
10-09-2012, 01:28 AM
You could try looking for inexperienced photographers; they are more likely to do a shoot for free and be happy to have the experience. I'd love to do some modelling myself, and have done some self portraits and gotten my husband to take some shots. Maybe you could get a friend to take some shots of you to help build up a portfolio?

Mermaid Narina
10-09-2012, 07:05 AM
a question that i have never figured out: who gets the photos at the end? I mean, im assuming that the photographer prints them off, but seeing as they pay the model ANd pay for printing pictures, they must need to get SOMETHING out of it right? So do they keep the pictures? Coz that would suck, if you had nothing to show (as the model) at the end of the shoot except for you money. i mean, id rather have pictures than money to be honest :3

Mer_Adella
10-09-2012, 01:43 PM
When I got my pictures he gave them to me on a CD and gave me a "release of property". Meaning that the photos were mine to do what I felt like with the pictures and stating that I had the rights to them. He asked if he could use them on his website to showcase his photography (and the pictures were put on a lock so that no one could copy and paste them).

But in the end you should get a "property of release" stating that the pictures are YOURS.

Winged Mermaid
10-09-2012, 04:36 PM
That's why it's best to trade if you can- their services for yours- so you both get photos for your portfolio. Like I said in my first post though, not everyone is a taker for that. Chances are if you're being paid for your modeling services, you will need to pay the photographer for their photography services if you want any pictures. Also if you don't get permission from the photographer or the release of property, the photographer is the sole copyright holder of the photos. Meaning that you can't use them for anything commercial, you can only have them for personal use only as you don't own the rights to them.

Pictures are given to you by CD (or sometimes now by email, downloading from a site or server such as dropbox, or a cloud), unless you pay for actual prints as well.

Blondie
10-09-2012, 09:46 PM

That is AWFUL. If he had a review site or a Facebook page I would spam that all over for people to see. I cannot believe he thinks he's a professional photographer and can say such a thing. I'm sorry that happened to you :(

Blondie
10-09-2012, 09:49 PM
You could try looking for inexperienced photographers; they are more likely to do a shoot for free and be happy to have the experience. I'd love to do some modelling myself, and have done some self portraits and gotten my husband to take some shots. Maybe you could get a friend to take some shots of you to help build up a portfolio?

I was considering this and I still am. I have I think a total of four friends that are into photography. Two of them I rarely see so they're a bit out of the question. My one good friend I feel like would TOTALLY love to do it. He's totally into the supernatural and super heroes thing. But the thing is he has a girlfriend who I don't tread nicely with. And I think she might flip her lid if she knew he was taking pictures of me at the beach x_x

Mermaid Gosalyn
10-09-2012, 10:02 PM
I was considering this and I still am. I have I think a total of four friends that are into photography. Two of them I rarely see so they're a bit out of the question. My one good friend I feel like would TOTALLY love to do it. He's totally into the supernatural and super heroes thing. But the thing is he has a girlfriend who I don't tread nicely with. And I think she might flip her lid if she knew he was taking pictures of me at the beach x_x

Aww, man, that sucks that his girlfriend would get in the way of something he wants to do. :( Maybe next meet we can get some nice photos, we could even plan to spend a little time specifically on photography and modelling!

Mermaid Melanie
01-19-2013, 02:04 AM
Hey guys,

Just thought I would share with you how I got into modelling -
If you have any colleges nearby you should check out the make up artistry department and photography dep. Students are always looking for models to practise on and get shots for their own port - go in and introduce yourself - leave a card or phone number and i will guarantee you will get some shoots from this ... once you build your own port a bit you can register on www.modemayhem.com then you can view and reply to casting calls ( TF - time for pictures - unpaid and Paid shoots ) depending on what you want to do. This is how I got started through my mother being a MUA ( Make up Artist ) and that led to many different connections. Also in Scotland we have the scottish creative network which was set up to allow people interested in collaborating with models , photographers , stylists, painters etc, to meet up once a month to meet with and organise different shoots and even sometimes we would do impromptu shoots on the evening - find a nice place and start one yourself ! you can invite people n your area by using model mayhem or other facebook pages for local creatives in the area.

Hope this was of some help :) x

Mermaid Gosalyn
01-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Thanks Melanie! That is helpful, and I never would have thought of that!

AniaR
01-19-2013, 02:23 PM
I haven't had a chance to read everyone else's replies yet, so I apologize if this stuff has been stated elsewhere,

I've been modelling professionally since 2004. I did it commercially for about 5 years, now I just do freelance and more creative projects. I do take on the odd commercial projects, but I no longer go through agencies etc.

If you decide you don't want to got through an agency and would rather freelance it, many agencies still offer valuable workshops on posture, understanding light, and expression. Connecting with any local photographers that teach classes or workshops is also a good way to get paying gigs. I do a lot of those, I am just the model for the class or for a group and they practice their lighting techniques etc on me. Websites like deviantART and modelmayhem etc are great for connecting with people locally, as well as posting on online classifieds- like we use Kijiji a lot here. Try to see if there is a local facebook group that networks photogs and models from your area. Check out colleges where they teach photography- you'll find lots of students who want to practice, as well as art colleges. Try out modelling for Dr Sketchy- another good paid gig.

Once you get a portfolio it's good to have a digital copy and a hard copy. If you want to start marketing yourself commercially many casting agencies hire models even if you don't act, to do background work in TV and movies, as well as lots of print work. So find out what the casting agencies are around you and give them a head shot and your measurements. Really in the beginning, it's like anything else, it's all about networking. You can make a full time living with modelling, it just takes a lot of ground work to get going. You also need to have a thick skin, depending on where you live, I find smaller cities can be vicious.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything more specific. For now I hope that helps. My modelling does not focus mainly on my mermaid stuff, but my mermaid stuff does get featured from time to time :)

Brooke
07-24-2013, 11:38 PM
You should know your limits on style and nudity. If you don't want to do glamor work or are bumpy doing full nudity, speak up and don't let people push you past those limits. Also, consider where you want your career to go in the future. Sure, you may be comfortable doing glamor now, but what if you decide you want to do fashion or directory work in the future? You might be discriminated against if they know you have done this line of job.

Are you looking for real fashion (http://www.stokesthompson.com.au/)