PDA

View Full Version : My First Monofin Swim

Maple
08-03-2011, 03:21 AM
So I had my very first swim in my monofin tonight and it was absolutely amazing! I am so excited about it that I just have to share!

I was able to get my paws on a black Finis Rapid - they don't make it in black anymore! Anyway, I was worried that it wouldn't fit or it would be uncomfortable since I do have larger feet and some folk have said they are not very comfortable. Other than some slight arch ache it was perfect!

I think I have the hang of the undulation when I'm under water, but I was having issues with swimming on the surface of the water since you can't really undulate in the same way. I also did some underwater backflips and I can grab my tail tip! I also have to be careful about my knees - they would bow out now and again, but that will stop when I get my tail sewn in the next few weeks.

It was such a joyful experience for me. I've always considered myself a bit of a fish, being perfectly comfortable in a body of water and a very strong swimmer, and this was a new and fun challenge. It also made it much more real for me - I have been having trouble really identifying with mermaid culture as I hadn't swum yet. In my mermaid persona, being able to swim is very important...and I was watching my fin behind me, imagining what my legs and belly would look like in my to-be green tester tail...and finally my real black orca tail...

It was truly exciting and magical for me! I can't wait to swim again tomorrow!

MermaidAiera
08-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Awesome! It was the same thing for me when I first got my monofin :) one thing I like to tell everyone however, is don't rely too much on the tail to keep your legs together. It starts to stretch out the tail and tends to contribute to your feet falling out of the monofin XD this is only my experience though, so whatever works best for you ^~^