PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid Creations Review

AniaR
09-21-2012, 12:53 PM
DISCLAIMER
Okay, I'm posting my review in both places because I think people will have questions and I don't mind answering. Before I get into the nitty gritty of the review I need to make a few things clear: While testing this tail I have been unwell. So it affects my ability to swim, my balance, all that stuff. I don't want my current illness to be misunderstood as "she can't swim in that tail!" I also want people to remember this was one of Jesse's first tails he was doing all his testing on, that several people have tested it and posted their experiences, and that the tail is very different from my merbellas ones. I'll be using my own template for how to write a review. (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?85-How-to-write-a-review)

REVIEW

This tail came from Mermaid Creations Inc.
Website (http://www.mermaidcreations-inc.com/)
Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/MermaidCreationsByMermanJesse?ref=ts)

The current price for a "Deluxe Silicone Mermaid Tail" 1750$ (depending on the type of monofin) and a regular silicone tail is 900$ (Mine would fall under this category again price dependent on your monofin.)

The time it took to get here is basically N/A to me as this tail was a surprise gift. The tail arrived in a box, wrapped up, with care instructions. I'd say it's close to the 50lb range but I have yet to actually put it on a scale and check. It's made of platinum silicone and has a foil monofin. It also has a blended waist and a dorsal fin. The tail is intended to be used in the water and on land for swimming and modelling. It can be used for professional work as well.

The Look & Fit
The tail is painted/tinted to look like the splash tail. I must say that it really does look like the tail. One of the amazing effects that I have yet to see on other tails is that this tail ALWAYS looks wet. It feels very different that my other tail. One of the benefits of smaller scales is that the tail feels quite fleshy- which is an affect I enjoy. Now, with this being one of the first tails there's a lot of experimenting with seams and colour so there are things on my tail you wont see on the others. From the looks of it Sasha's tail barley has a seam and Nerine's are hidden better. The fluke is really flowy and floppy. While I'm not strong enough to really lift it up- the smaller monofin doesn't really support it anyway. Because the foil is flexible rubber as opposed to stiff fiberglass the fluke is able to move in ways not seen in a lot of tails. I have some video that shows this at the end of the review. The fluke also has nice ridges. Also, because the silicone IS so thick, you rarely get wrinkles. It's just not possible, lol.

The dorsal fin is really cool. It stays upright all by itself. I was pretending to be a shark.

There is a blended waist. I couldn't get the tail up high enough the first try so that the waist was above my bikini bottoms. So I ended up having the bottoms show through at the waist by mistake. You could always have your waist come up a bit higher if this is something you'd be concerned about, (keep in mind this actually comes to my waist and shows my stomach while my merbellas tail purposely comes up OVER my stomach) or wear a lighter coloured bottom. (I was wearing black with white spots lol) I like the look of the blended waist because your skin shows through it and really sells the idea. Also, because it's so thick and tight I noticed it rarely got caught in the swim drag-it really hugs your hips.

Presently the tail is REALLY tight. Jesse got my measurements almost a year and a half ago so my body shape has changed a lot since then. Obviously when you order a tail you'll be giving him better measurements. While silicone does stretch- I would caution that a tight tail can set off panic a little bit. I felt a bit nervous before trying to swim because I simply wasn't used to a tail being so tight. So I had my boyfriend close by. Of course once I took off in the water I was fine. So just be sure if you're the least bit nervous you have someone nearby for safety. I know I have lost some weight and thinned down a bit because my merbellas tail is getting looser. It's my goal to be back to the size I was of these measurements so I dont think it'll stay this tight forever.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/s720x720/255469_10152228601475425_1399077616_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/69121_10152228601040425_896374719_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/264253_473877709313644_333839273_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/251698_473877569313658_1757436665_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/408174_473877765980305_1534110949_n.jpg

Putting it On & Durability
Like most silicone tails it can be tricky to put on. I suggest tying something to the straps of the monofin so you can pull them up under your heals. I was unable to get my tail on dry. I tried baby oil, water, and cream (separately- obviously lol) but the tail is heavier and thicker than I'm used to. I haven't been feeling well so when I started getting dizzy from the effort I decided I'd wait and get my boyfriend's help to put it on in the water. Ive talked to ALL the other mers with a Mermaid Creations tail and they were all able to get their tails on dry using the usual method and with a little help. So keep in mind that this is more due to my being unwell and also used to a thinner and lighter tail. I was able to get the tail on in the water with some help from my man. I suggest actually sitting in the water on stairs as opposed to simply getting your legs wet and pulling it on. You should lay out straight and have someone pull it up as far as it can go.

Because the tail is thick it can be tricky to roll/fold down to get your feet in and it can take a while. Doing it in the water will also take some of the stress off your legs by the weight. Silicone is also very sticky so it'll try to stick to your swim suit. Make sure your suit is nice and wet so it can slide past it. With a thick tail you don't need to be as worried about tearing it or poking a hole in it while trying to put it on. This thing can take a beating I'm telling you. SERIOUSLY durable. I'm pretty sure you could run over it with a truck and it would be fine. lol

Swimming
Keep in mind my disclaimer from earlier. I found it tricky to swim in because I'm used to a huge monofin and a very thin silicone. I really struggled to get any kind of a kick. You'll notice in my videos there are many clips where I'm pretty bouyant. I've always been that way- and it didn't clue in until half way through to try the weight belt hahahaha as soon as I did that I was golden as far as staying down. Because I couldn't get much of a kick I found myself bending my knees more than I should. Which as I explained to Jesse would scare me a few times. I forgot I had a dorsal fin so when I bent my knees the dorsal fin would poke my back or butt and I'd freak out wondering who was touching me. LOL.

One of the big differences I noticed in having a foil fin- despite the fact I found it difficult to kick or get down, man oh man was I agile! I could turn corners like nobody's business (something I find tricky with a competitor) and I could do back flips and side flips. I also felt smaller since the fluke doesn't extend out so far. Of course the fluke itself is so flowy it creates a very believable effect in the water. It's see through in a few parts which ended up looking really cool in some of the photos. Water doesn't collect in the fluke as it's solid but you can get air in it if you don't put it on properly. Jesse includes tips to prevent air from collecting in the foot pocket area with your tail so you'll know what to do.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_maojnbPeKJ1r0wgkuo1_r1_1280.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_maojnbPeKJ1r0wgkuo2_r1_1280.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/534347_10152228601310425_1124867578_n.jpg

Care
Jesse included a great care sheet with the tail. I would just add that because this is silicone and there is no neoprene lining you can wipe the inside of the tail dry with a towel right away. After I do that I spray the tails inside and out with (wait for it...) silicone sex toy cleaner. Why? Because it kills all the germs, alkalines (meaning does away with any acids that might harm), prevents mold, and it's safe for use on silicone without degrading it. If you're embarrassed you can buy the stuff online and put it in an unmarked spray bottle when you get home. Also, I had to get my boyfriend to lift it up and get all the water out of it because it was so heavy.

Things to consider

So when buying a tail like this you need to decide what monofin is best for you. A foil is cheap and will allow for that lovely flowy effect. But can you swim with a foil? A competitor is super expensive but you may find it easier to swim in but you'll lose the flowy effect. It's really not a case of pro or con- just really what you think will work for your needs.
The tails are thick and heavy. Now, MOST silicone tails are thick and heavy! Keep in mind my merbellas was specially made. So, if you're only used to latex or fabric or silicone caulking the thickness and the heaviness may come as a shock to you. There's lots of benefits for that thickness and heaviness but at the end of the day you need to choose what it right for you. A thicker tail wont wrinkle as easily, it's very durable, but it can be an adjustment.
And as I explained in the disclaimer, some of the "kinks" you might see have to do with my own troubles with health and swimming, and anything else is really more to do with this being one of the first tails. I'm sure if you ask questions here Jesse will answer too. :)

Conclusion

For me at least, this tail is better underwater. It's easier for me to put on, move in, and I love the flowy look. Until I get used to it and a bit stronger I wont be using it for any "dry gigs" but hopefully as things progress I'll be able to. You're going to see Ama in this tail. I'm going to take some video of her because I believe she'll do it better justice. I'm hoping to have some photoshoots done in the next little while before it gets TOO cold. I would suggest you be prepared for something heavy by making sure you have a way to carry it, enough time to get it on during gigs, and if a person is going to lift you that they are prepared for the weight.

I recommend Jesse if you're really wanting that flowy and wet look with the fleshy feel. It really is a totally different tail. As Jesse said, I have two different tails but they both are made with the same ingredient: love! lol Jesse is easy to contact and get ahold of for questions. While I wont be sending the tail back to him for any changes I know he's been good about that for Nerine. I think Jesse also improved a lot since making this tail as I pointed out you'll see some little things on it you don't see in others. and I mean really, 900$ is a great price.

Monofin choice will play a big role in the functionality of your tail depending on your skill. So choose wisely. Do you want flowy or do you want one you can hold up and have it stay up? Can you swim with a small one or a bigger one? You can talk to Jesse about your choices.

Dorsal fin. Everyone needs one. Feel like a shark. It's awesome.

http://youtu.be/4cU7YZfFZ8Y

Mermaid Saphira
09-21-2012, 01:46 PM
I love the really fluid look of the fluke in the water!

Kanti
09-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Great review! Also you finally got the tail xD haha
I really love Jesse's tails o_o
His flukes are so awesome looking and flowy underwater and the fins he makes are awesome!
Thanks for sharing :'D

Moongazer
09-21-2012, 03:29 PM
This is great. Sorry you where under the weather but you did a great job with a new 'not used to' fluke.

I was actually considering getting a Jesse tail once the one I bought from blue mermaid can't be repaired anymore. Can you list a couple things that changed from this tail to what he makes now?

AniaR
09-21-2012, 03:55 PM
I actually think I mentioned right in there the differences between mine and the others ones I've seen. Mostly it's seams (you can see a lot on the back of mine) and I know Jesse does dorsal fins that come up higher and leaves a space from where the knee bends.

MermanJesse
09-21-2012, 04:45 PM
This was my SECOND attempt at a silicone tail.

Seams are unavoidable, but can be hidden to an extent. The reason Sasha's tail has a very hidden seam is because she is so tiny, that it only took one side of silicone to go all the way around her body.

A plus size mermaid will have a front and back part of the tail. I cast the edges as thin as I can (without fear of tearing), to make sure the seams blend as much as possible.

Since I do not use a fabric backing, I cast my tails 1/4 inch thick. This is why they are so heavy.

Dark colors will not be transparent, however lighter color tails will make dark swim wear visible beneath. A plain color, like red will be pigmented into the silicone with a top gloss to make it "slimy". A color like orange or purple where I have to mix two colors is painted on with a BRUSH by hand. I do not use an air brush.

I offer the free maintenance for the life of the tail. This is the TAIL only. I do NOT give a warranty on ANY mono fin that is inserted into the tail.

I make the tails because I ENJOY it. There is no money to be made, everyone seems to be making tails these days.

What I make on a $900 silicone tail pays for a season pass to theme parks, pays for concert tickets, pays for a nice dinner out with my human. Tail sales do not pay my bills, I don't want it to. It doesn't consume my life.

I have been making tails for a long time now, and I will make tails until my hands won't work anymore.

Mermaid Annariea
09-21-2012, 05:09 PM
raina, its so pretty!! i love how flowy the fluke is.

and jesse, its so great to see tailmakers who really love what they do :D your tails are so awesome.

MermaidAliyah
09-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Jesse you're better than most people as they will definitely tell you it will go to the cost of making your tail, but it doesnt.

Kanti
09-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Hey Raina, do you like the silicone on Jesse's tail vs your Raven tail?
I remember Jesse saying that tail stretched a whole lot! I just wanted to know if it was more/less
comfortable or anything like that?
Do you even notice a difference in stretch or comfort between the two?

AniaR
09-21-2012, 06:07 PM
I've honestly always been shocked that Jesse sells his silicone tails for so low. There are people who sell for almost the same price and all you're getting is silicone caulking. Why go for caulking when for the same price you can get a customized platinum silicone Jesse tail? And like I said, ALL SILICONE TAILS are thick and heavy, I asked around to everyone about the thickness and the heaviness of their silicone tails- MVD ones are in the 65lbs range!!!! I think this is something I didn't realize, and many others don't either. So while it was a shock for me, so long as you know what you're getting into you'll be fine. I have chronic health and mobility issues and once I got comfortable I was doing BACKFLIPS in that thing. So really for an average person they should be fine. I just want people to be prepared because switching over from something like light neoprene and latex can be quite different compared to heavier silicone.

and like Jesse said, second silicone tail he ever made (the blue one was the first silicone I believe, but he's got another h20 inspired tail too he's made). Personally I PREFER not having any fabric backing or neoprene and I recommend it. Easier to get on without the extra fabric, and waaay easier to keep dry when you're done. With neoprene you need to worry about it drying and the air can't get in easily because of the silicone. But with just silicone you can simply reach up with a towel and dry it out.

I think the flowy nature is one of the best features of his tails, as well as the wet look. I don't see this on any other tails from tail makers when it comes to the wet look.Like, I'm going to do another video of it dry so you can really see it. It's nuts! Looks like it always just came out of the water.

AniaR
09-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Sorry Kanti, I must have been typing while you were typing

Hey Raina, do you like the silicone on Jesse's tail vs your Raven tail?
I remember Jesse saying that tail stretched a whole lot! I just wanted to know if it was more/less
comfortable or anything like that?
Do you even notice a difference in stretch or comfort between the two?

Once I got used to the tightness of the tail I liked it a lot. There are def some advantages, like I mentioned it wrinkles less, it really hugs my hips and the waist line didnt flap open or anything, and it NEVER slid out of place. It's made from the same type of silicone for both, just different casting techniques. While I couldn't shake the bad habit of bending my knees I did find the thickness and tightness of the tail kept my legs in the right place, I had no issue with accidentally gripping the monofin with my toes, and I just couldn't get over how easier it was to turn though that's more of a monofin thing. Thickness does make it trickier than what I'm used to for getting it on- I think that would be an adjustment though for anyone going from latex/fabric to a silicone. You're used to being able to roll it right down like pants practically but with silicone you can't really do that unless it's thin.

My merbella's tail is thin and high up. The only downside to that is that while I have been losing weight, it means my tail has become loose in some areas. It wrinkles in common places, it slides down, and it catches in the back. However, I am saving up to send it to Raven to be taken in once I reach my goal size (which is closer to Jesse's tail) I had my weight belt made with my merbellas tail in mind, so when I wear it it's actually on tail. But when I wrote it on Jesse's I had to actually wear it on the waist since it just comes up how most tails come up. NO PLUM-MER-CRACK tho hahaha! <3

At first I wasn't comfortable, but the more I wore it I actually realllllly liked it tight. It was tricky, but as far as my pain with my illness having something soft (silicone) put pressure on your achey legs was soooo nice. I was jokingly calling it my squishy. Though I am very used to being able to if my fluke right out of the water I wasn't strong enough with this one. When you look at other pics of models wearing this same tail though they seem to be able to do it so I'm inclined to think that's more my issue.

Also, just while I'm thinking of it, I know the community tends to really go for the large circle scales, but I loved these smaller ones. I know you can't see them as easy in photos but as far as a realistic feel they really feel like you're touching a fish or a reptile. So neat and something I didn't expect

Kanti
09-21-2012, 07:27 PM
When you say tight do you mean in a comfortable way? It's not constricting you or anything is it? xD
Also how's the stretch on it?
I'd think your Merbella tail would have a nicer stretch since it's thinner, no?

AniaR
09-21-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm not really sure what you mean by stretch. Jesse can fit in this tail, so yeah it stretches. Am I strong enough to stretch it? Nope. lol. I don't really feel like I can make either tail stretch, they just fit and if you put someone bigger in them then I'd think they'd stretch around it, or like they stretch with your knees as you move. But it's not like elastic waist on pants that you can pull out or stretch vinyl etc. It's more a subtle stretch that forms around your body. I can't pull the thicker one away and have space, the only reason I can with my merbellas tail right now is because it's getting too big from me slimming down.

And yeah like I said, it wasn't comfortable at first I got a bit panicy but once I got going I was fine and VERY comfortable, I actually enjoyed it being tight- it helped with my pain. But it caught me off guard in the beginning. Having it tight made for no wrinkles too

Kanti
09-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Oh I suppose I meant it in terms of how much it can stretch in terms of inches and junk but you're
right I remember Jesse said he fit into it once xD

Thanks for answering all my questions Raina xD I know I'm annoying sometimes.

AniaR
09-21-2012, 08:25 PM
you're not annoying pffft ask away :D

Kanti
09-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Baha if you say so.
Then one more question :'P

You're going to make a ton more swim videos with it, right? It looked awesome :'D

AniaR
09-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Haha well, it's cold here now. Ill be lucky to get outside once more mermaid wise. This is the pool that lets me practice but the chlorine is killer :( but yeah I hope to make more swim videos. It's just hard in our climate

Kanti
09-22-2012, 01:39 AM
Aww of course Raina
Whenever you can xD

Merman_Shawn
09-22-2012, 04:21 AM
I'm drooling over your tail Raina(hell I've been drooling over it since before you got it). Jessie you are truly an artist! Even though I'm making my own right now, I plan to own a Mermaid Creations tail at some point. Beautiful work!

Mermaid Margarete
10-03-2012, 07:00 PM
A-Mazing! Such a gorgeous tail! Thanks for sharing Raina!

I'm totally saving up for one of Jesse's tails! I want it to my first silicone! They're just so pretty and affordable!!

MermanJesse
10-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Thanks guys!

:yay:

MerEmma
01-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Kinda unrelated to your tail, Raina (I really love it, and I'll definitely have to use your review template in the future--it covers everything!) but I was at PetSmart the other day and they had some fish that made me think of your tail. :p

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1JvMzSopPxY/UP3cIy6tu-I/AAAAAAAADmE/3UQqv9sBidk/s1600/DSCN0434.JPGhttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-z34Lk5eG__U/UP3cJqBGeaI/AAAAAAAADmM/aUAW4BRWaic/s1600/DSCN0433.JPG

AniaR
05-04-2013, 08:56 PM
So I keep getting loads and loads of emails about my mermaid creations tail and my merbellas tail. I posted a thread showing how my merbellas tail has held up over time, so I'm going to show you my mermaid creations one. I've been asked for some close up photos etc and I just get too many emails. So, the best thing to do if you have QUESTIONS about specific stuff is ASK JESSE. I can only really tell you about my tail, and I don't make tails.

So keep in mind as I say earlier on here, that this was one of the FIRST silicone tails Jesse made and it's a few years old now!

Here's a few photos of mermaid Ama in it, and some video etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Blumon6uMk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1nZgAz5YoU

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/947008_154211048088962_1020625287_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/555154_150865545090179_135757198_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/564209_149905258519541_1260825417_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/268433_107482236095177_475612403_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/148938_106382579538476_1987142042_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/482873_137447183098682_1091923185_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/386682_102454089931325_142130810_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/941075_592748460759901_2040374983_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/5421_577629932271754_1367162771_n.jpg

The top layer of paint has bubbled up a bit and peeled a bit.

Paint flaking off
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/v/1229916_10153269735235425_2010371529_n.jpg?oh=1c2a fc22f8f9dfdb1f43db5de03d5bce&oe=5221FC1D&__gda__=1377974575_310a368df0e745207689c31a7899494 7

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/v/1229841_10153269737200425_767325224_n.jpg?oh=9e470 defeec1de0bf00a9a9859c29392&oe=52224545&__gda__=1378014189_690e734caef785a4a5f47b9f65700ec d

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/v/1176323_10153269742055425_112621142_n.jpg?oh=e3a5b 0217d4ed0e77634ae4842e9c141&oe=52220AB1&__gda__=1377991374_a8d44c00b99727715238129a5bbe904 7

Getting a bit see-through from all the use
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/v/1238063_10153269739590425_310321172_n.jpg?oh=bd5a0 bf46f6dae33cdeb43423c9d1913&oe=52221E24&__gda__=1377995867_3bb7f6aff41790624477c26b60b9eb6 8

AniaR
05-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Oh I almost forgot! There are more shorter clips, and more photos, on Mermaid Amas page: https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAma

MerEmma
06-09-2014, 09:35 PM
You haven't had any problems with the dorsal on your MC tail though, have you? That one seems really thick and well attached.

AniaR
06-09-2014, 10:37 PM
Nope!!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Ayla of Duluth
06-10-2014, 10:05 AM
The last 4 pictures aren't working for me, from "Paint flaking off a bit here and there" they just look like little square icons that don't do anything. Is that just on my end?

JessieMermaid
06-10-2014, 10:15 AM
nope i'm getting it too, Ayla

AniaR
12-24-2014, 10:06 AM
Following up on this post: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?9725-MY-mermaid-creations-tail&p=160584&viewfull=1#post160584 (Please read for context!!!)

Here are some photos, I'm not sure why the previous attachments aren't working, I've tried editing them and they just wont show :( I think they may have been lost with the server move.

Fluke is see through, that white spot is where the fluke split open about 8 inches. Monofin pops through the silicone.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10352740_10155030646610425_2637551024650511612_n.j pg?oh=4af527cc1b985e3ca279dac95b47a049&oe=55454BF7&__gda__=1430149345_b05b5ee6acf89429cfcfebf567ffba3 c

Seam, and a bunch of paint peeling right off

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/1505617_10155030646690425_6812232794956254221_n.jp g?oh=5bf837a88aec532c775d667825b991e6&oe=54FE0E9DMore peeling and splitting

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10885198_10155030646815425_82493324899747091_n.jpg ?oh=12d52011cd2630d8dbba6b4b548d82a7&oe=55426B8E

The waist continues to peel the worst and splits into 2-3 layers which I've had to resew. That flakiness you see has happened all over the whole tail with the orange but I pulled most of it off. if you look closely you can see remnants

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10868233_10155030647140425_8762190038007327604_n.j pg?oh=9997fdbe6a9beb5aec97b37ed405fd1f&oe=55403BA4&__gda__=1426471241_3f2e68c6522114e324e069d0f411b43 e

Just showing how streaky and see through

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/150756_10155030647340425_6183725240306501853_n.jpg ?oh=241b48e174ce3eb754d3b9fc50daa973&oe=55307EE3&__gda__=1429621083_0b1627b001ac1812703f57e78b7fe81 e

More waist splitting, orange peeling off

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10885363_10155030647525425_1675150571011038425_n.j pg?oh=5ee5cd25f0849905b0ba3ecdf028b414&oe=5502880E&__gda__=1429424475_d0278dc85eeb219dd25ddd8391f0294 0

It's like snakeskin all over

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10858370_10155030647630425_809511636779431520_n.jp g?oh=ca6389614ae2c2842f7fe2ccf675e282&oe=55032FB4

flakes of orange come off, white underneath. We tried to stop the spread of the peel with clear silicone but it wont bond

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1475962_10155030647800425_746422140658750521_n.jpg ?oh=426b2583184d7ad707d78e0f0a7a984f&oe=553321CF

Inside seams split into layers, had to be resewn multiple times and siliconed over. Silicone will bond perfectly fine to the inside. (no perma wet inside!)

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10888375_10155030647870425_6409757631841416908_n.j pg?oh=a58da4ff1e7dbc1e24f121f9c106ddbe&oe=55043CF7

You can see there's about a 4 layer split here

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10407722_10155030647970425_7886888384516578630_n.j pg?oh=5983c8dfff5b685350d134565a4db228&oe=5504480E

What it looks like when perma wet flakes/peels off and takes colour with it

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10845970_10155030648125425_6580539289602343787_n.j pg?oh=205d6bb3bf11e119d8958916df481a7a&oe=5536FCBC&__gda__=1430673129_acf33665fc5adb2a3406321af0c3e43 6

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10270629_10155030648280425_127978253513438997_n.jp g?oh=8c4e87a893cd972e1e6756cac8746dae&oe=54FA2E7B&__gda__=1425822018_d7dc2f2b89ddc09d90c1e0bf38a7c25 a

You can see how it would be less noticeable with a dark solid colour compared to multiple colours and light colours.

The back "seam" and more peeling

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1477714_10155030648470425_1862979413610672209_n.jp g?oh=9f74bb49e3c2d40c5b9c92b89b2aadeb&oe=54F96880&__gda__=1430607338_22ae742c005a1734a8eb7a37def3a99 c

More peeling and there is a black streak of silicone there. When you wear the tail it looks see through (I'll show a video when we're done uploading it) and the black streak is very apparent. Hard to see right now when the front layer is laying over theback.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10868193_10155030648630425_2544221166729287443_n.j pg?oh=aecc54d44bf6bbb48a1dc838f19a18e5&oe=552FD302&__gda__=1430259815_b82b4fc0c01c1fa18d4094b3798a19e 6

I'll have a video up soon where you can see a lot of the issues.

MerMatt
12-24-2014, 11:44 AM
Raina, just a thought after seeing these pictures. Is it just me or does it appear that Jesse used colored silicone and painted on the colors for your tail, then put perma-wet on after. I am noticing plain silicone under that. With my tail and maybe more, Jesse made the skins with the color already in it so with the little bit of peeling that has occurred around the ankles none of the color has come out of the tail and is almost not noticable from a distance or in the water. I am not trying start anything just a observation.

AniaR
12-24-2014, 12:42 PM
I *think* he did a mix of both. some of the silicone is orange all the way through but a lot isn't. permawet over top.

AniaR
12-26-2014, 02:53 PM
Here's a silly behind the scenes video that also includes some close up shots of the tail where you can see the issues. Specifically, the paint streaks, the seams, and the see throughness of it when you can see all the bathing suits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRuxMUEPu4U&feature=youtu.be