PDA

View Full Version : Shell top dilemma - digging into skin?

Koral
09-26-2012, 06:04 PM
If I am posting this in the wrong spot please forgive me and move it, and tell me the correct spot!

I found some larger mollusks at Hobby Lobby, and used fishing net to support them, and pads inside for comfort. My dilemma is, the shells are kind of heavy and they are digging into my skin at the bottom.

Should I post them on a bra instead? Or is there something else I could do? I also considered putting fabric on the bottom and decorating with scaled sequins. I may also try http://mernetwork.com/imgs/Shell_Top.pdf <- that method, but I have a feeling I may run into the same problem!

I would be so grateful for some input on my top. :)

Mermaid Fenicia
09-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Maybe a strip of soft foam or fabric will help to soften up that edge ;)

Koral
09-26-2012, 06:23 PM
That's what I'm thinking with the bottom trim that I want to decorate with sequins (and hide the appearance of the fabric). Thank so you much for the thought!

This is definitely going to have to be trial and error hehe.

AniaR
09-26-2012, 06:29 PM
I find it unavoidable unless you put the shells on an existing bra. I get marks all the time from the rope and the shells

Koral
09-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Really?! In that case maybe I should post them on a strapless bra and just have fun decorating it on that. Thank you soo much Raina!

Atlantis
09-26-2012, 06:41 PM
that is why I started casting silicone shells. They are light, comfy, can be glued on to skin, or sewn onto a bra, and do not break. https://www.etsy.com/listing/109357689/silicone-sea-creatures-shells-and-stars

Mermaid Lorelei
09-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Jup, same reason I use silicone shells. :>

Koral
09-26-2012, 09:14 PM
I'll have to wait til I can afford those ones! I'm spending all my money on my tail right now.

Mermaid Saphira
09-27-2012, 04:53 PM
I'll have to wait til I can afford those ones! I'm spending all my money on my tail right now.

Until then, perhaps you could purchase these foam shells (http://www.amazon.com/EVA-Foam-Shell-Hula-Costume/dp/B001FD9Y8A/ref=sr_1_409?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1348775278&sr=1-409&keywords=womens+halloween+costumes)and paint/decorate them? :)

Winged Mermaid
09-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Yeah, they're not comfortable :P I put mine on a bra base, and the bottom edges still dig into my skin big time. It's noticeable within minutes of putting it on, and I wear that thing all day sometimes. If you can't stand discomfort easily, DO NOT use netting for the only support for the top. That's what my top is like and by the end of the day it's bad. For dry events I put mole skin on the area before I put my bra on. I had my hubby take a dremmel to the sharpest parts to sand them down, and that helped a bit. I find it's much more of a problem on land than in the water. Usually by the time I get home/to the hotel I'm all, "Get this thing OFF OF ME!!!".

This is one of those "pain for beauty" things :P If you're planning to do a lot of "dry" events, bra based is a great way to go. If not, just mod your top a little. Here are my thoughts on how to do that:

Besides the sanding and mole skin, you could do a number of things to soften the edge. Gluing craft foam on with an industrial glue (like E6000), or painting on foam (such as a small amount of expandable foam), or attaching something like polymer clay (mold to problem area and shape the way you'd like, then either bake it directly onto the shell, or remove, bake, then attach with a industrial glue like gorilla glue or epoxy). After that, paint (naturally, an accent color, or green to go with any faux seaweed you attach) then you can attach some things to cover it as well if you'd like. I'd suggest pearls, rinestones, faux seaweed, an extra bit of netting, glass jewels or beads, or extra shells.

Hope this helps!

shimmygoddess
09-28-2012, 09:42 PM
I have had dance costumes that do that, and I usually line it w/ a soft velvety fabric. If you cant sew it, perhaps you can glue a stip of it under neath where it rubs on the skin

Koral
10-01-2012, 02:24 AM
Thanks so much, mermaids! Winged Mermaid your advice is particularly helpful, I'll definitely dremmel some edges down and use some craft foam with decor. :D

Mermaid Luna
06-29-2013, 01:42 AM
I was wondering if using some kind of water-proof glue would work? Mine's awful at leaving permanent marks under my boobs.

AniaR
06-29-2013, 10:31 AM
yeah I get marks all over me still. We've tried a few things but nothing seems to work