PDA

View Full Version : Torn Foot Pocket on Finis Rapid

Mermaid Lei Loni
10-02-2012, 06:11 PM
I haven't seen anything (yet! but maybe I didn't look hard enough) on repairing a Finis Rapid. The left foot pocket on the monofin is tearing, and I want to repair it before I swim again so it doesn't get any worse. Any ideas? I'm thinking that I can just E6000 or Gorilla Glue it but I'm not sure. Has anyone repaired a monofin foot pocket?

Thanks!

AniaR
10-02-2012, 06:18 PM
if it's within a year of purchase I think it's covered under warranty?

Winged Mermaid
10-02-2012, 07:38 PM
I'd contact Finis about it. They have really great customer support!

Mermaid Lorelei
10-02-2012, 07:47 PM
I've also had this problem. E-6000 works for a while, but eventually the wear on it will pull the glue apart. You can definitely get some good swims in before that happens though. I would definitely not suggest gorilla glue.

Winged Mermaid
10-02-2012, 09:02 PM
If you're set on self repair, use a glue specifically for rubber. Seal Cement would be a great option. You can buy it for half price on eBay (where I got mine). I linked it on the Care and Maintenance sticky.

ShyMer
10-03-2012, 06:27 AM
I've seen things about repairing regular swim fins before. One I saw suggested using a specific kind of glue (which of course I forget) and more rubber to reinforce it. They also mentioned something about stopping the tear by punching a hole on the end of the rip.

Unfortunately, I didn't save any links, but I bet if you google how to repair swim fins you could find some useful answers.

My rapid tore also and they were super nice about helping me, though I ended up not sending it in because I'm lazy and I didn't want to have some unknown wait before it showed up. I tried using some nameless superglue on my tear and so far it's held up, but i really need to reinforce it. It feels rough where the glue is too, which isn't as pleasant on my foot.

Mermaid Lei Loni
10-03-2012, 09:49 AM
if it's within a year of purchase I think it's covered under warranty?

I think I've only had the fin for about 5 months, but it's a cut monofin that I purchased through a tail company, so I'm not sure that Finis will work with me. But it's worth a shot. :) I actually am getting a new tail at the end of this month, so I think I'm just going to glue it and hope it lasts for a few more swims. I'm hoping to find some solutions because I plan on handing the fin down to another mer that needs one once my silicone tail arrives. I just want to be able to tell her how to fix the fin so it can be usable for awhile longer.

Thanks to everyone for all your help!

MerAnthony
10-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Well I have never repaired a monofin that is rubber but maybe try rubber bike tire repair kit but insted of using the patch use a old bike tire insted it works on the same princable.

Mermaid Lei Loni
10-08-2012, 04:17 PM
I found a fairly effective way of fixing the foot pocket. I tried glue first, and it didn't hold...at all. In fact, the foot pocket started tearing even more, to the point where I took it off because it was too difficult to swim. So I sat down with my brother who makes foam swords for a living. He's really good with various adhesives and problem solving with stuff like that. After some tries, we realized that we could create a new foot pocket, out of duct tape. Using some of the images and ideas from here (thanks to all you brave duct taping mermaids!) we were able to reconstruct the foot pockets using waterproof duct tape. It worked really well. The only downside is socks are a must, otherwise the tape rubs. But I was able to do a 2 hour swim with no problems. I did all the dives/spins/flips that I could think of, and it held! The tape needs to be reinforced every couple of swims, but it's doing really well so far. I even think the foot pockets work a little better since there isn't any stretch like you get with the rubber. Without the stretch, I'm able to "hold" on to the fin better so I have a much better kick. The fin won't last forever, but it will be a good back up, and a good starter fin for another mermaid.

Thanks again to everyone for their ideas!

Mermaid Linda Stephanie
11-25-2012, 12:08 AM
I know this a little late, but I just saw the post. But I tried every method that I read on here when my left foot pocket tore: bike tire repair, E6000, gorilla glue, rubber cement...the works. I almost threw it away I was so frustrated. Finally, I cut the foot pockets out completely and replaced them with an old pair of scuba booties (I'm sure water shoes would work too). I secured them by cutting two slits in the foot (toe and heel) and strapping in old dive knife straps and also used Marine Goop glue. I have had no problems since then with that issue and my feet feel really secure. Only downside is it's somewhat difficult to get my feet in because I have to zip up the booties from the center, but I got used to it and it's not that bad. Hope it all works out for you! :)

Odette
11-25-2012, 12:52 AM
I got some flippers for free because one was ripped. sewed it and never had a problem again.