PDA

View Full Version : Mermaids in Art - opinionated viewers

Koral
10-03-2012, 06:35 PM
So, on deviantart, I have one commenter that has stated on more than one of my artworks that my mermaids should have no knees; knees this, and knees that. I told them that it is all about personal opinion and no artist should have to succumb to one person's vision of an "ideal mermaid." It was also said that one of my works would "be a favorite, if it had no knees." They also got on me multiple times for watermarking my work, which is me simply protecting work from being stolen or redistributed, which I think is fair. At most I would replace DA's watermark with a huge watermark of my own, which I will in future works. I'm more frazzled about the knee thing, however, and that's what this post is about.

I envision mermaids one way and tend to stick to this idea I have of them, but I have drawn them a couple of ways - pretty much drawn as if it's a human in a tail, like us. Alternately (and my favorite), they have knees but from then on it's more serpentine. I would draw a completely serpentine fish tail if it was asked or I was just in the mood for it.

Anyway, I find their comments just rude. What do you think? Should all artists portray mermaids one way and one way only, or be free to exercise freedom of imagination?

I vote for freedom of imagination.

Koral
10-03-2012, 06:40 PM
I mean, I really appreciate the "favorites" they made (despite their strange comments left behind stating how they wouldn't favorite a work) and that they are watching me now. I am even more sorry if they are a member here, but I'm entitled to express my own opinions as well, especially if I am in defense of my artwork that expresses my right to imagination in personal illustrations.

Ayla of Duluth
10-03-2012, 06:54 PM
The fact that people are trying to pressure you into doing your own art a certain way just shows how inexperienced they are. Your art is yours and yours alone and if they don't like it, there's nothing they can do about it. I wouldn't feel bad that they don't like it, there's nothing wrong with the way anyone draws or makes anything. Art is art. Keep drawing the way that makes you happy, and just don't let something like this bother you. You can't please everyone, and these people are certainly in that category.

Personally, I wish more people would draw mermaids with knees. Before I joined this forum, a mermaid to me wasn't supposed to have joints in the tail, but I soon grew used to the idea that mermaids have knees, and now mermaids without joints just seem too unbelievable to me. Still trying to get used to the idea of heels though. :S

New York Mermaid
10-03-2012, 06:54 PM
please. when kids say mermaids dont have knees, i tell them, then how do you think we get on land and walk around? Our knees in our tails are fused together at a certain point (what i usually tell them). Mermaids i'd figure are like dolphins and whales they move in a flowing motion but still bend at a certain part of their body. No one is an expert of how a mermaid is "Supposed" to look. Its your art, your descision. Knees or not it shouldnt matter.

Koral
10-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Ayla, that's true, there's nothing they can do about it. But I can do what I did, and tell them "it's all personal opinion." They can't change my art, but they should know that they can change the way they look at everyone else's: with an open mind.

Lanai that's an awesome explanation hehehe! I've thought of mermaids, myself, as porpoise type creatures too. Air breathers, mostly dwell close to the surface in hidden areas, playful, great hunters, etc. But mermaids are indeed still part human! There are SO many variations of mermaids out there in art and actors+actresses, that it's criminal to pin everyone to one type of merfolk.

Blondie
10-03-2012, 07:05 PM
It's YOUR art so YOU should do what you want.

If you were taking request then you should be interested in how the mermaid looks to them.

New York Mermaid
10-03-2012, 07:07 PM
then again ideas can come from this, It is true all merfolks are different:

Koral
10-03-2012, 07:10 PM
I agree with you Blondie. I often do commissions, and when I do, I bend to my customer's every single whim until it's what they want. But yeah, this was personal work, I should be able to draw how I'd like without scrutiny? haha.

then again ideas can come from this, It is true all merfolks are different:

That's an awesome image! I'd add one more to it, to make the way I draw merfolk. After the knees join together as in fig. 3, the bones carry on like fig. 1! :D

AniaR
10-03-2012, 07:19 PM
I GET THIS ALL THE TIME IS DRIVES ME BONKERS. I get it so much on deviantART. Some of the people have become long term followers but still tell me all the reasons why they think I don't look real. I always just throw back, "how many real mermaids do you see?" Marine mammals have leg bones even when they don't have legs (whales!) I get so annoyed. I also get "she cant be real you can see her knees" on youtube a lot too. I FEEL YOUR PAIN

Koral
10-03-2012, 07:40 PM
High five on being bonkers, Raina! Some people out there can be so overly critical when its unneeded. The internet has definitely become a weapon (as stated in your lovely body image post) for all topics. It makes no sense though, even in most EVERY mermaid film or films with mermaids in them (excluding cartoons), the mermaids and mermen have knees due to their suit tails, so you'd think society would be a little more accepting!